5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Decked Truck Bed System

Jeff270

Reaction score
I have a Laramie with a 6'4" bed on order. I do a lot of kayak fishing on the coast and will be using it to haul yaks and gear to the launch site and back. With my current truck (Nissan Frontier) I either put the yak in the bed, with a bed extender, or if I want to haul two, they go on the roof. I want to avoid putting yaks on the roof if at all possible. I am contemplating the deck system. It would give me the capacity to put gear underneath, plus the ability to put a yak, or two on the deck when using the bed extender.

My question is: Does anyone else have the deck system: Do you like it? Is it quality? What would you consider the pros and cons? Thanks

whododat

Reaction score
I am thinking about the same purchase. There are several consumer reviews on youtube. Pretty much all positive.

Rtl Colorado

Reaction score
Inexpensive aluminum rack
Sportsman guide
Mounted mine to the inside bedrails

Attachments

• 20190302_192206.jpg
    20190302_192206.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 162

jaychris

Reaction score
I have a Decked in my 6'4" Laramie. I use it for hunting/fishing, etc... I bought it because a buddy of mine has one and I saw how useful it was on trips. I'm also installing a Leer XQ this week.

Install is simple - it took me about two hours working by myself. Most of that is tightening bolts by hand (powertools are NOT recommended for the install).

The only negative is that the wiper seal they give you to install on the drawers is crap. It's not flexible enough and tears off whenever you close the drawer. I bought a side bulb style seal from McMaster-Carr and that works perfectly.

Love it, I find it super handy to hold all kinds of stuff.

Jeff270

Reaction score
I have a Decked in my 6'4" Laramie. I use it for hunting/fishing, etc... I bought it because a buddy of mine has one and I saw how useful it was on trips. I'm also installing a Leer XQ this week.

Install is simple - it took me about two hours working by myself. Most of that is tightening bolts by hand (powertools are NOT recommended for the install).

The only negative is that the wiper seal they give you to install on the drawers is crap. It's not flexible enough and tears off whenever you close the drawer. I bought a side bulb style seal from McMaster-Carr and that works perfectly.

Love it, I find it super handy to hold all kinds of stuff.
Thanks for the input. Couple of questions. How much space do you figure you lose in the bed? and How long does it take to remove if you wanted to use the truck for hauling dirt or mulch?
thanks again!

jaychris

Reaction score
Thanks for the input. Couple of questions. How much space do you figure you lose in the bed? and How long does it take to remove if you wanted to use the truck for hauling dirt or mulch?
thanks again!

It leaves about 12" from the top of the bed to the top of the Deck. That's just eye-balling it. It takes about 30 minutes to pull it out if I want to remove it. Re-installing is about the same and most of that is just loosening and tightening screws.

Rob3989

Reaction score
Anyone have pics of the deckbed? I ended up doing a different route because I use mine for work. Only thing I wish I had done different was install a topper instead of a tonneau.

Attachments

• CDDF229E-E554-4CC5-B1C6-F3EDF779DF77.jpeg
    CDDF229E-E554-4CC5-B1C6-F3EDF779DF77.jpeg
    137.1 KB · Views: 189
  • 29B04E33-F595-4BB8-B0B7-272D5E6CB3ED.jpeg
    29B04E33-F595-4BB8-B0B7-272D5E6CB3ED.jpeg
    123 KB · Views: 184
  • F52BE5A2-5894-4291-AFED-DC8A7EB7D733.jpeg
    F52BE5A2-5894-4291-AFED-DC8A7EB7D733.jpeg
    138 KB · Views: 183
  • 78644C44-7F2B-4E8C-8C61-A678D8D4BBFF.jpeg
    78644C44-7F2B-4E8C-8C61-A678D8D4BBFF.jpeg
    158.5 KB · Views: 180

daveone

Reaction score
My Decked system arrives today; I’m looking forward to getting that installed. Only issue is that it eliminates the ability to use the factory bed divider. Has anyone come up with a bed divider solution that would work with the Deked system?

badassbaldie

Reaction score
I considered the Decked system for my Rams but decided against it for a couple reasons. Something you might want to consider as well...

#1 - I wasn't too fond of only having roughly 12" of bed space from the top of the decked to the bottom of my paragon cover. Doesn't leave much room for things in the bed. I often go out to several stores, etc and put my merchandise in my locked bed. If you're not planning on a tonneau cover then it wouldn't be an issue for you.

#2 - the decked system adds an extra/constant 230 lbs to your truck (only 200 lbs for short beds). I'm barely getting 13 MPG now so the extra weight won't help in that area. Not that it's a big deal but definitely something to consider.

#3 - (Biggest factor) Almost $1200 for bed storage is a bit steep...at least for me anyways.

RTL colorado's suggestion seems to be a good one for Kayak transport storage. I know there's systems out there that fold right up and store on the bed rails (pretty slick). Those are a bit more expensive though. The fixed/removable systems can be had for pretty cheap.

The bed slide Rob3989 has is also a nice option. Actually, I built one similar for my 2015 Ram Sport. Just used fixed casters, garage door track & rollers and a sheet of marine board. Cost me ~$50 in materials. Always had people commenting on it.

Realistically, you could do bed rail aluminum rack, bed slide and locking bed cover for a lot less than the Decked storage system. IMHO, gives you more versatility and some extra $$$ in your pocket for other mods.

Users who are viewing this thread