5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Deciding between 2 trucks…

wangstarr03

Reaction score
Hey all, thinking it might be time to replace my ‘19 but despite the supposed Stellantis inventory surpluses it’s been a bit difficult finding a truck spec’d close to how I’d prefer. Coming from a Limited, I’m looking at a Longhorn to switch things up preferably equipped with the HEMI, air suspension, level 1 package, bed utility group, off-road group, rambox and pano roof. That said, I have found two that are close, one local and one quite a bit out of state.

First one is a ‘24, has all the options I’d want and then some except for the off-road group. It does have the anti-spin differential, though but the price is eye watering: $87,535 MSRP and $74,613 as advertised. It’s at Koons Tysons Corner (for those of you local to DC) and on the lot 27 days. Link here: 2024 RAM 1500 For Sale Tysons VA | Arlington | 00243176

Second is a ‘23, has the same options, plus the off-road group, but no rambox (which, admittedly, I use more and find more practical than the ORG). $83,855 MSRP and $72,184 as advertised but in Texas and has been on the lot for 84 days, link here: https://www.blakefulenwiderchrysler...amie-longhorn-4x4-crew-cab-1c6srfkt0pn656583/

Would love everyone’s thoughts, particularly those who may have purchased/leased recently. Not sure of the practical differences between ORG/rear locker vs anti-spin and have no idea what to expect from a negotiability standpoint given the post pandemic world, interest rate environment, UAW strike, etc. Last time I visited Koons (before I bought my ‘19 at a different dealer) they wouldn‘t play ball at all so I walked. Apologies for the long post but but appreciate any insight. Thanks, in advance!

Redz72

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It’s much easier to add the ORP (or just simple lift) to a truck than it it is add Rambox to a truck without ‘em.

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hey all, thinking it might be time to replace my ‘19 but despite the supposed Stellantis inventory surpluses it’s been a bit difficult finding a truck spec’d close to how I’d prefer. Coming from a Limited, I’m looking at a Longhorn to switch things up preferably equipped with the HEMI, air suspension, level 1 package, bed utility group, off-road group, rambox and pano roof. That said, I have found two that are close, one local and one quite a bit out of state.

First one is a ‘24, has all the options I’d want and then some except for the off-road group. It does have the anti-spin differential, though but the price is eye watering: $87,535 MSRP and $74,613 as advertised. It’s at Koons Tysons Corner (for those of you local to DC) and on the lot 27 days. Link here: 2024 RAM 1500 For Sale Tysons VA | Arlington | 00243176

Second is a ‘23, has the same options, plus the off-road group, but no rambox (which, admittedly, I use more and find more practical than the ORG). $83,855 MSRP and $72,184 as advertised but in Texas and has been on the lot for 84 days, link here: https://www.blakefulenwiderchrysler...amie-longhorn-4x4-crew-cab-1c6srfkt0pn656583/

Would love everyone’s thoughts, particularly those who may have purchased/leased recently. Not sure of the practical differences between ORG/rear locker vs anti-spin and have no idea what to expect from a negotiability standpoint given the post pandemic world, interest rate environment, UAW strike, etc. Last time I visited Koons (before I bought my ‘19 at a different dealer) they wouldn‘t play ball at all so I walked. Apologies for the long post but but appreciate any insight. Thanks, in advance!
If you aren’t in a hurry just make a custom order through Mark Dodge (Anthony on here). Mine took 6-7 weeks and I fly down to pick it up in 5 days. Plane ticket was only $89 and they are delivering my truck to me at the Airport when I land. I paid $10,000 less than the best dealer price and got a truck spec’d my way. Better deals than any lot price and order exactly what you want. Why not get exactly what you want, compromise nothing, and get a better price!

Last edited:

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

Damn, it costs more to upgrade a Longhorn, than to get a Limited with the same equipment on a Limited. My sticker was less than both of those, and I have more options. Check to see if Mark Dodge has what you want, their prices are better. Just got 83,130 sticker for 68,488. ( I did join Tread lightly, for $720 savings.)

wangstarr03

Reaction score
Damn, it costs more to upgrade a Longhorn, than to get a Limited with the same equipment on a Limited. My sticker was less than both of those, and I have more options. Check to see if Mark Dodge has what you want, their prices are better. Just got 83,130 sticker for 68,488. ( I did join Tread lightly, for $720 savings.)
I am starting to notice that option for option, a like Longhorn ends up being more expensive than a like Limited and certain things are still missing if you add the elite package (upgraded interior materials, metal speaker grilles, etc).

Really the only reason I was even considering a longhorn was the different color interior (albeit not as “nice” vs the limited). I have the indigo interior from 2019 and my fear is if I get another limited it just won’t feel “different” enough; and I don’t want a plain black interior. First world problems, I know.

BowDown

Reaction score
I am starting to notice that option for option, a like Longhorn ends up being more expensive than a like Limited and certain things are still missing if you add the elite package (upgraded interior materials, metal speaker grilles, etc).

Really the only reason I was even considering a longhorn was the different color interior (albeit not as “nice” vs the limited). I have the indigo interior from 2019 and my fear is if I get another limited it just won’t feel “different” enough; and I don’t want a plain black interior. First world problems, I know.
Exactly my experience and why I went Limited over Longhorn

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just purchased a 23 Limited equipped like the 23 Longhorn you posted and my MSRP was about $2500 less after subtracting a couple of options on the Longhorn that I do not have (e.g. Sunroof).

Comparing window stickers, he difference was in the cost of the options.

The 5.7 hemi and 4 corner air suspension are standard on the Limited and adding them as options on the Longhorn costs a little more than what it adds to the base price on the Limited.

The Longhorn Level 1 Equipment Group contains exactly the same items as my Limited Level 1 Equipment group but the option package cost over $1600 more on on the Longhorn. I'm not sure why this option package is so much higher than the same package on the Limited. All the other options were priced the same.

I do like the different color interior, but essentially it's costing about $2500 more for that interior color.

Lockers vs limited slip will depend on your specific driving needs. Personally, I will never have a need for lockers and will never own another pickup without limited slip. I had a 2012 Ram with open differentials and any time I pulled a trailer in the rain it had too little traction leaving a stop sign or pulling a boat out of the water. Shifting into 4wd or turning on a locker will solve the issue, but since I don't have the off-road need of a locker, I prefer the automatics operation of the limited slip If you do a lot of off roading, in fairly difficult terrain, then lockers may be beneficial.

Trippi

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Love mt Limited Elite interior - so refreshing over black - and no black out package on the exterior - love this truck!

wangstarr03

Reaction score
I just purchased a 23 Limited equipped like the 23 Longhorn you posted and my MSRP was about $2500 less after subtracting a couple of options on the Longhorn that I do not have (e.g. Sunroof).

Comparing window stickers, he difference was in the cost of the options.

The 5.7 hemi and 4 corner air suspension are standard on the Limited and adding them as options on the Longhorn costs a little more than what it adds to the base price on the Limited.

The Longhorn Level 1 Equipment Group contains exactly the same items as my Limited Level 1 Equipment group but the option package cost over $1600 more on on the Longhorn. I'm not sure why this option package is so much higher than the same package on the Limited. All the other options were priced the same.

I do like the different color interior, but essentially it's costing about $2500 more for that interior color.

Lockers vs limited slip will depend on your specific driving needs. Personally, I will never have a need for lockers and will never own another pickup without limited slip. I had a 2012 Ram with open differentials and any time I pulled a trailer in the rain it had too little traction leaving a stop sign or pulling a boat out of the water. Shifting into 4wd or turning on a locker will solve the issue, but since I don't have the off-road need of a locker, I prefer the automatics operation of the limited slip If you do a lot of off roading, in fairly difficult terrain, then lockers may be beneficial.
Yeah after reading a lot of replies here, I realized I was being trivial with the interior color preference and changed my search from Longhorns to Limiteds. There are better options out there. One dealership around 200 miles from me has three ‘23 Limiteds that check most of my boxes and have all been on the lot for 4+ months which means I should be able to score a solid deal on one of them.

DeanM2

Reaction score
Well I just purchased my 2023 Long Horn from a Dealer 750 miles and 3 states away from me. Spent 3 days and 24 hours driving to get there and back. The Dealers within a reasonable distance had some particular packages I wanted, but always had a bunch of packages I didn't want, and weren't willing to bring down the price. The Dealer 750 miles away had pretty much what I wanted and gave me the best pricing of any Dealer.

Get what you want. And expand your search area.

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah after reading a lot of replies here, I realized I was being trivial with the interior color preference and changed my search from Longhorns to Limiteds. There are better options out there. One dealership around 200 miles from me has three ‘23 Limiteds that check most of my boxes and have all been on the lot for 4+ months which means I should be able to score a solid deal on one of them.
I think it is worth saving an additional $10K+ to buy custom from Mark Dodge (Anthony). Best buying experience ever hands down! And no truck on the lot for 4 months or even almost a year will beat his price.

Last edited:

1BADRAMLIMITED

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Sounds like the 24 checks more boxes for you as far as priority wise.

But daaaam 70,000 for a hunk of metal that depreciates as soon as u drive off the lot. I couldn’t do it.

6of36

Reaction score
Sounds like the 24 checks more boxes for you as far as priority wise.

But daaaam 70,000 for a hunk of metal that depreciates as soon as u drive off the lot. I couldn’t do it.
Buying from Mark Dodge, you could drive it a year, and sell it for more than you paid for it in most parts of the country.

Users who are viewing this thread