5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dealership Rust proofing

2021REBEL

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I was talking to the dealership and they told me their rust proofing leaves a ripple like texture on the inside of the doors. Just wondering if anyone has had it done and could show me some pictures of what they are talking about?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

deese

Reaction score
When I had my previous truck done they removed all the interior door panels and sprayed like a red vaseline type substance on the inside of the door and put panels back on. Went around the other areas of the truck as well.

2021REBEL

Reaction score
When I had my previous truck done they removed all the interior door panels and sprayed like a red vaseline type substance on the inside of the door and put panels back on. Went around the other areas of the truck as well.

Was it noticeable and annoying to have that sort of substance on the doors?

deese

Reaction score
There was nothing to notice. Smelled of petroleum for a week but that was about it. This was all done behind the panel. You wouldn‘t even know it was there.

2021REBEL

Reaction score
There was nothing to notice. Smelled of petroleum for a week but that was about it. This was all done behind the panel. You wouldn‘t even know it was there.

Oh okay, the dealership I talked to said that it was a noticeable texture that would fade and get less noticeable over time.

deese

Reaction score
Interesting. Must of been something slightly different than what I had done. I had mine done at a local body shop in town that provided the service.

Last edited:

2021REBEL

Reaction score
Interesting. Must of been something slightly different than what I had done. I had mine done a a local body shop in town that provided the service.

Oh okay, yeah I was talking about the dealership rust proofing that they do before you pick the truck up.

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had dealership applied rustproof and paint protection on my 2014 and would not do it again. By 2018 I had visible rust on the bottom of both front doors and when I tried to make a claim was told the rustproofing guarantee wasn't valid until there was penetration from inside to outside of the door panel. I ended up trading it in before the rust got to that point but was upset that I had visible exterior rust on a 4 year old truck with rustproofing that seemed to not offer any protection.

2021REBEL

Reaction score
I had dealership applied rustproof and paint protection on my 2014 and would not do it again. By 2018 I had visible rust on the bottom of both front doors and when I tried to make a claim was told the rustproofing guarantee wasn't valid until there was penetration from inside to outside of the door panel. I ended up trading it in before the rust got to that point but was upset that I had visible exterior rust on a 4 year old truck with rustproofing that seemed to not offer any protection.

Thanks for the insight

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Since the rustproofing is done at the dealer I would think it was different everywhere. The local market might drive what they use. If this was a factory offering (like what should just come on every truck anyway, cheap bastards) then it would be one brand.

I had my last Jeep sprayed. They were telling me how important the upsell was to do the interirs of the doors. I asked "How does it help to keep the aluminum doors from rusting?" The guy shut up and just gave the price for undercoat.

2021REBEL

Reaction score
Since the rustproofing is done at the dealer I would think it was different everywhere. The local market might drive what they use. If this was a factory offering (like what should just come on every truck anyway, cheap bastards) then it would be one brand.

I had my last Jeep sprayed. They were telling me how important the upsell was to do the interirs of the doors. I asked "How does it help to keep the aluminum doors from rusting?" The guy shut up and just gave the price for undercoat.

Lol okay good to know. Thanks

brenan00

Reaction score
I will be leaving west Oahu for northern Phoenix in two and a half years. Is rustproofing needed? If I do this I will put it in the loan at 0% for 48, that will include my balance after writing a check for 50K (I put $6500 down otd $56.6K), taxes and fees with PPF and ceramic windows and paint, plus the extended warranty and a pup maintenance plan, and it doesn’t have to come out of my pocket all at once. Let them finance that stuff for four years. Start in wet Hawaii end up in dry Arizona. I do live on the drier side of the island. So will I need rustproofing in a dry climate? I have never had any rust on a car in Hawaii but I have never had a car longer than three years. Mahalo for any advice or thoughts. Shoots

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I would not do it - I don't think it is worthwhile even here in MN and washing is more effective. We look for AZ cars because they will be rust free! The main rust culprit is salt from winter road maintenance.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
There’s a reason they park Boeings in the desert - they’ll last there for 20 years without corrosion.

bucolic

Reaction score
I personally think the Rustproofing on modern vehicles is not needed. It's simply a profit point for the dealer. Washing the car regularly, repairing damaged paint ASAP, and keeping it rinsed of salt if an issue in your area will do more to prevent rust than the coating.

If you still decide to get it ask if having it done negates the factory corrosion warranty. Many times it does and then you are left with a corrosion warranty only serviced by the installing dealer and good luck with any claims.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/