5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dealership put in 5/30

MontFla

Reaction score
I had a dealership here in Florida put 5/30 in my 2020 bighorn 5.7. The did drain and put in 5/20 but they said according to their info they could run 5/30? They suggested I run 5/30 because of the heat in Florida? I showed them the owners manual and told them to look at the oil cap. What do you guys think? Has anyone else had this experience?? Next oil change the same thing happened. So apparently they are putting 5/30 in every hemi that comes in for an oil change. I reiterate now 5/20 when dropping off my vehicle!! When I made an appointment they could not find my name because they changed it to MR 5/20 in their computer

ekaz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
5/30 would've been fine and would be surprised if they actually did drain and re-fill.

MontFla

Reaction score
5/30 would've been fine and would be surprised if they actually did drain and re-fill.
I went to the quick lane and watched. All this talk about possible voiding the Warranty and then the dealership puts In the wrong viscosity???

ekaz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I went to the quick lane and watched. All this talk about possible voiding the Warranty and then the dealership puts In the wrong viscosity???
Then its recorded in the dealer system that they put the incorrect oil in. Unless its super sketchy, the dealer is not going to send oil out for analysis. They don't want to spend money as it is, you think they're going to go through that trouble?
Not the same engine, but I ran several different weights in my 6.1 and never had an issue. 5w-30 isn't going to cause an issue in the 5.7

MontFla

Reaction score
I understand and it only went from the quick lane to the service pick up area and back twice. I want to run the best oil but do not want to void the warranty. The managers comment about them having info saying 5-30 is ok?? Is that possible??

ekaz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Read the other thread you posted in. There are many, many people that have/do run 5w/3- without any issues. If you want to run wants in the manual, great. You want to run 5w-30, great. You want to run 0w-20, great. Your truck, your choice. They have what they put in recorded so if it is an issue...on them.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Was 5w30 put in vs being billed out. Alot of time the process in dealerships can lead to this. Oil is coming from overhead vs bottles. Either way the dealer should drain it and put in what is called for, just for good faith.

MontFla

Reaction score
Yep got it!! As everyone in here likes 5-30. I would prefer to go with it, but from what I understand is it would void the warranty?????? Everyone is under this impression?? And I have word from a dealership that it is ok to run 5/30?? If this is true it could take the worry from everyone about running 5/30. When my warranty is up I will use 5/30 but for now if the dealership is correct we could make the switch earlier

MontFla

Reaction score
Was 5w30 put in vs being billed out. Alot of time the process in dealerships can lead to this. Oil is coming from overhead vs bottles. Either way the dealer should drain it and put in what is called for, just for good faith.
Yes it was put in and I was told they use it in Florida. And also told it was specked for them in their manual just not in the customers owners manual!!

MontFla

Reaction score
As you can see they have special notes on my truck to use 5/20 only. If you went in for an oil change with a 2020 or 2022 5.7 hemi they would automatically put in 5/30. Is this not totally wrong for the dealership to put in 5/30 without informing the customer

MontFla

Reaction score
As you can see they have special notes on my truck to use 5/20 only. If you went in for an oil change with a 2020 or 2022 5.7 hemi they would automatically put in 5/30. Is this not totally wrong for the dealership to put in 5/30 without informing the customer
2020 or 2021. Not 2022

MontFla

Reaction score
I attached pic but not sure it made it to main thread? So here are the special notes on my truck to use only 5/20 since the used 5/30 twice already. If a customer goes in for an oil change on a 2020 or 2021 5.7 the dealership automatically puts in 5/30????

Users who are viewing this thread