5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dealership prices vary greatly

BigD

Reaction score
The internet sure does make buying a new truck easy. I just can't believe the huge difference in prices from one dealer to another. I live 15 minutes from Minneapolis. I drive an hour to a small town dealer & saved about $2,500 versus buying from my local dealer 5 min away !

Mother

Reaction score
Pretty typical for big town just about any dealers. They assume you're not going to bother looking outside of your immediate vicinity to get a better deal. Good on you for reaching out and saving some dough!

Ranger482

Reaction score
It always pays to check 2-3 dealers as well as one of the bigger regional on-line players. I'm not opposed to driving a few hours to pick up a truck to save a few thousand if the closer dealers will not match, or get very close to the best price I can get elsewhere. Vehicles are probably the second largest purchase we make, it always amazes me how people go to one dealer and don't leverage pricing from others.

BigD

Reaction score
I've bought 7 vehicles in 12 years between me & my wife. I've gotten pretty good at haggling with them. Best advice is put on your pocker face & act like u don't give a hoot whether u get the new vehicle or not. Last 2 salesman asked me if I was excited. Must've been my monotone voice & lack of enthusiasm. I do all that on purpose. It's all an act. Inside I can hardly control my excitement. I think I watched over a hundred You Tube videos of 5th gen Rams b4 I went to the dealer. I didn't hardly sleep for a week b4 arriving at dealer, but once I walk thru the door it's game on. It's definitely an art. I wonder how many people pay MSRP or even asking price at the dealer ? I suppose some people who got tons of money don't care.

gtxdana

Reaction score
The last three new vehicles I purchased were from out of state. I try to buy local, but if I can travel, and save thousands on the price, I have no problem doing that.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Spent time with 9 dealerships (live in NYC, plenty of Ram dealerships) over time, no rush, not impressed with sales people or dealerships. I think there are very few "professional sales people" that would get an A rating from me.

zlman

Reaction score
Funny, MN guy here too. Best deal I found with the truck optioned how I would have ordered was Shakopee Ram, an hr north of me.

BlackBeauty14

Reaction score
I've bought 7 vehicles in 12 years between me & my wife. I've gotten pretty good at haggling with them. Best advice is put on your pocker face & act like u don't give a hoot whether u get the new vehicle or not. Last 2 salesman asked me if I was excited. Must've been my monotone voice & lack of enthusiasm. I do all that on purpose. It's all an act. Inside I can hardly control my excitement. I think I watched over a hundred You Tube videos of 5th gen Rams b4 I went to the dealer. I didn't hardly sleep for a week b4 arriving at dealer, but once I walk thru the door it's game on. It's definitely an art. I wonder how many people pay MSRP or even asking price at the dealer ? I suppose some people who got tons of money don't care.
How much were u able to get taken off the asking price?

BigD

Reaction score
How much were u able to get taken off the asking price?
22% off MSRP. I paid the internet price they were asking because I researched 10 different dealerships within 1 hour drive of my house. They were already $1,500 - $2,500 cheaper than everyone else. I did get a free access cover though. I didn't want to push it anymore. Also I was working 4 salesman at the same time over the phone & email. The other 3 didn't want to play ball. The one guy basically said he'd throw in a t-shirt. Basically he was telling me to take it or leave it, & he was $1,200 more & just the next town over, & was actually owned by the same dealership that I bought from. So it also totally depends on which salesman u get, how hungry they are, & what their sales numbers are for the month at that particular time. It's a fine line between getting the best deal u can, & pissing them off to the point where they won't even work with u anymore!

Users who are viewing this thread