5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dealership Frustrations

d.zo

Reaction score
Hello,

Sorry to focus on this one complaint. I am sure this whole ordeal has been extremely frustrating. I'm wondering if the hard braking in reverse is just poor design?

I was test driving a 1500 Laramie over the weekend (still trying to decide between the RAM and F-150) and it threw on the brakes as I was backing into park. The salesman tried to laugh it off and say I accelerated to quickly but I had barely gotten my foot off the brake. Is that similar to what you experienced?

GRAYWOLF

Reaction score
Pretty much it. I just got my truck back from the dealer, yesterday. And they found a "PTS Update"...not sure if it fixed it, yet...

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

20RAM2O

Reaction score
The truck is at the dealership. They've requested a few days to look the truck over, but did say, "we'll have to make sure the technician can reproduce the issues."

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
"we'll have to make sure the technician can reproduce the issues."

:rolleyes: Unreal. They know the issues. So frustrating to be stuck in such a broken system. Why they can't just tell everyone the truth that there is a calibration issue and let owners know to disable the reverse braking feature until FCA engineers have the fix is beyond me. Nope, just continue the insanity of drop off, cannot replicate, pick up, drop off.... and so on.

Jhill

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I reviewed his post, but I'm not willing to splice into my system to fix an HVAC issue. The responsibility to resolve this falls on RAM.
True, but its like being married. Sometimes you just do what you have to to get through life. lmao :ROFLMAO: Just roll your eyes and go with the flow............

Jhill

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The truck is at the dealership. They've requested a few days to look the truck over, but did say, "we'll have to make sure the technician can reproduce the issues."
I would print out TSBs etc and have thermometer handy (probe type like barbecue cooking meat) and be prepared if they don't deliver results. If ac vent temps are too warm, go find a fat manager in a suit and request he drive truck on hot day while you show him thermometer readings from drivers vent. (just don't heat stroke him....lol....funerals are expensive!)

Last edited:

20RAM2O

Reaction score
The TSBs that cover my issues were printed and handed to the service counter.

silver64

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sorry for the long winded reply---I find now that if a certain condition occurs i video or take pictures to document it when possible. You have to use technology to your advantage and the dealership will be hard pressed to deny anything on video. This will at least reduce the frustration of duplicating the issue since so many of these issues are intermittent. The dealers resistance to fixing things is based on whether or not they get confirmation from FCA that they get the go ahead to proceed. I find that the most frustration comes from FCA denying the fix for lack of evidence. Sadly its up to us to prove we have an issue. The worst part is that we PAY for the warranty. Its not free so they are not doing us a favor by fixing manufacturing, design or software failures. Hold the dealers feet to the fire!

Last edited:

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
@silver64, great suggestion. But for us older gentlemen that don't have our phones velcro'd to our hands, it's not that easy and besides, I'd rather humiliate the service manager and shop foreman with a kindergarten trip, holding hands, outside to see the issues first hand.

For all'yall with 8.4nav issues, I've documented that on the 10-12th manual start there will be a glitch. Guaranteed. Not always the same glitch, mostly the volume/radio freeze or reverse camera blank issue. Just start your truck a dozen times with the whole darn team in the truck and give'm a big ol'finger when the glitch occurs.

That's my preference.

silver64

Ram Guru
Reaction score
@silver64, great suggestion. But for us older gentlemen that don't have our phones velcro'd to our hands, it's not that easy and besides, I'd rather humiliate the service manager and shop foreman with a kindergarten trip, holding hands, outside to see the issues first hand.

For all'yall with 8.4nav issues, I've documented that on the 10-12th manual start there will be a glitch. Guaranteed. Not always the same glitch, mostly the volume/radio freeze or reverse camera blank issue. Just start your truck a dozen times with the whole darn team in the truck and give'm a big ol'finger when the glitch occurs.

That's my preference.
FYI- I'm 61 so no spring chicken snowflake cellphone dependent kid and you can learn to do both which is what I do. I can stand toe to toe with any service manager and still stuff the video or pictures down his throat. The more info you have to support your complaint the better!

Jhill

Ram Guru
Reaction score
FYI- I'm 61 so no spring chicken snowflake cellphone dependent kid and you can learn to do both which is what I do. I can stand toe to toe with any service manager and still stuff the video or pictures down his throat. The more info you have to support your complaint the better!
Sounds like you can become Clint Eastwood from movie Gran Torino! "Get off my lawn".....and then transform into Clint as bad a$$ cop in Dirty Harry. Good job! Make dealership look forward to resolving truck issues for you or you will see them in the street at high noon. lol (y)

20RAM2O

Reaction score
The dealership performed two updates, however, they stated the HVAC update was performed before I bought my truck. They said, "we measured the temperature of the air leaving the vents and it was 59 degrees while outside was 82 degrees. That is as good as it will get." I know from owning many cars, it should be colder. The truck goes back to the dealership on Tuesday to finish reviewing the other concerns I have.

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Apologies if it seemed I was implying that you were glued to your phone. I guess my point was I prefer hands on, actually seeing the problem is undeniable.

Jhill

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The Ultrasonic Backup TSB applies to specific vehicles sold, so you may already have the latest software. The problem is the system really isn't good for reverse, example angled driveway.

The brakes noise when backing up needs to get done and if you read the bulletin it isn't the dealers job to verify whether or not you have the problem. The bulletin tells them to fix it if the customer has the concern.

XM Radio going back to preset 1, make sure you have a profile set up in the radio and set all your presets. Then make sure you set your key position.

HVAC issue, get used to that one until RAM starts listening. Hopefully the car reviewers will put some pressure on RAM. The system is ok when temps are 70-80 but any higher and the system can't keep up.
If you read the AC threads, especially the "Air Conditioning Hack", you can get your AC much cooler for under $20 until Ram figures it out.

ABQ Mike

Reaction score
Thought id help here since I was in the service industry for some time, including service advisor a while back...

The issue with NPF or No Problem Found, is typically dealerships/manufacturers only offer .2 to .3 hours of time for diagnostic on most of these issues, IF any at all. That means the tech has about 12-15 minutes to grab your vehicle from the lot, diagnose the issue etc and park it again before he's "losing money". I don't agree with this practice, and typically until you complain to the management or Chrysler about the issue, they aren't given any extra time. As a mechanic, I didnt care and was more of a figure it out until its fixed type, but most mechanics put their "I drove it from the lot, back to the lot and found nothing, give me my .2 diag time". Once you complain, typically management will give them an hour or so of pay to look into it further.

As far as TSBs and warranty repairs, often its considered warranty fraud for the dealers to just replace parts because someone wants them replaced, and a TSB isn't a recall, so its not required they do the repair unless necessary. Therefore, if you read the TSB, and it says "If the customer makes this complaint, you replace XYZ parts", you need to make sure your complaint matches what it says when you go in. If they are dicks after that, then there isn't much you can do except complain some more, but most dealers would gladly take the warranty work, especially if they are slow, unless Chrysler is doing random inspections on the parts and theres a chance they could get charged back on a non faulty part. When I was at Ford, the Diesels had TSBs released on a seemingly hourly basis, so just about every diesel tech said "make sure they complain about this and that" so they could get the repair time while in there to replace turbos, injectors, and whatever else, so when Ford caught on and started denying dealer claims for repair, that quickly came to an end when the dealers had to fork out $700 for a turbo and $300 for each injector they replaced just because they wanted to.

Im absolutely dreading taking my truck in for service if I ever have to because I remember the games all too much that the techs would play, but as a tech, I remember the games the service advisors played trying to get things done for free or less, or pre-diagnosing something etc. Sadly I end up repairing things myself unless theres a significant parts cost, then it goes in. BMW was giving me hell a couple months ago for warped rotors/glazed and grooved pads on my X5 when I had a maintenance plan that covered brakes, warranty, and known TSBs for rotors warping due to the weight of the SUV, but they denied my claims all the way up to the top, so I just sanded the pads down on my own to make the issue go away. Sadly thats what things have come to when they have the upper hand and all we can do is complain, or throw money away with a lawsuit that gets you nowhere.

Users who are viewing this thread