5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dealership forgot to torque drain plug after oil change - truck broke down on highway.

Mdhwoods

Reaction score
No lights on dash?

Did you even read what OP said?

Lights on dash and he stopped.

OP did the same exact thing as you, but you claim personal responsibility. So are you saying you have no personal responsibility because you were driving when you lost a freeze plug?
I don't get why you are trying to beat up OP. He did nothing wrong, expect having work done at a dealership.
You’re correct, i missed the part about the light. With that said, if he stopped right away i would expect the engine to be fine.

TSL

Reaction score
Had my first oil change on my EcoDiesel done at the "stealership" on my Rebel a few months ago. Nothing as drastic as the OP's story, but they got oil all over the skid plate on the Rebel, obviously they didn't want to be bothered dropping it out of the way. I had drips on my garage floor ( only drips, not a puddle ! ) and I crawled under a saw where it came from. So I brought it back and made them clean it up. Which they did and were apologetic about.
For the next oil change, I absolutely intend to crawl under the truck in their lot before I drive it off and see if they did that again. I will tell them when I drop it off that I'm going to do that. It's ridiculous that I should even have to think of doing such a thing !
I'm also mulling over buying a Fumoto valve and asking them to fit it. Not sure if they will, or even if they'd be willing to connect a tube to it and actually use it as it's intended on a subsequent oil change, but it might be worth a try. Or maybe once it's fitted I'd do my own oil changes. I hate doing my own oil changes because I always make a mess and go through a mountain of shop towels cleaning everything up !

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Had my first oil change on my EcoDiesel done at the "stealership" on my Rebel a few months ago. Nothing as drastic as the OP's story, but they got oil all over the skid plate on the Rebel, obviously they didn't want to be bothered dropping it out of the way. I had drips on my garage floor ( only drips, not a puddle ! ) and I crawled under a saw where it came from. So I brought it back and made them clean it up. Which they did and were apologetic about.
For the next oil change, I absolutely intend to crawl under the truck in their lot before I drive it off and see if they did that again. I will tell them when I drop it off that I'm going to do that. It's ridiculous that I should even have to think of doing such a thing !
I'm also mulling over buying a Fumoto valve and asking them to fit it. Not sure if they will, or even if they'd be willing to connect a tube to it and actually use it as it's intended on a subsequent oil change, but it might be worth a try. Or maybe once it's fitted I'd do my own oil changes. I hate doing my own oil changes because I always make a mess and go through a mountain of shop towels cleaning everything up !

I do my own oil changes on my Rebel, I barely spill a drop using the two 1-gallon zip loc bag method on the oil filter. It's actually a cleaner oil change than our Lexus ES300 sedan. I did a brief write up, see the link below, I suggest you give it a try, it's easy and relaxing and I actually look forward to it. Plus you get the satisfaction knowing it's done right.

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
last oil change I also had the same issue oil in the skid plates that ended up on my garage floor. And opposite to the OP, they did a number on the oil drain plug, it was quite difficult removing it this time when I did my own oil change. I have a cat converter plate and Also was installing the fumoto valve and I didn't trust the dealer to installed it properly.

Boyvan

Reaction score
Dont want to steal OP's post but I have a story which could have ended very badly for my vehicle and I wouldnt have been able to prove anything. Few months ago I took my Jeep to a Jeep / Ram dealership for rear camera issue so they had to open the hood.

Few days after.....I happen to take my Jeep to my trusted mechanic for an oil change and when I came to pickup my Jeep after couple of hours, my mechanic hands me scissor and tape. I told him its not mine and he said that it was under the hood....I was lucky that it didnt fall somewhere in the belt / engine otherwise it could have been worse. I called the dealership to let them know of this 'issue' but of course they denied saying it couldn't have been them. So hard to find any reliable and honest dealership.....if one exists that is.....:cautious:

70runner

Reaction score
Suspect OP recognizes by now he should have had the truck towed when he noticed the oil puddle in his driveway. My guess (from 25yrs of rebuilding mopar big blocks) is some damage had already occurred by that point. The "special coating" is a load of BS. There is a reasonable probability your EcoD has engine or turbocharger bearing damage due to oil starvation. Turbochargers are notoriously susceptible to even a short duration oil starvation. Two options, replacement engine or extended warranty. RAM will likely resist the replacement option, so press that first. Then settle for an extended warranty. Do not keep that truck without at least an extended warranty because IMO you'll eventually need it. Even with an extended warranty, I would probably trade it in at first opportunity.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Old thread but what is the proper Engine Oil drain pan plug torque value?
Wrench tight.
Looks like the "proper spec" is 25 ft-lbs.
I give it a good .5 second wack of my impact ratchet so probably like 30-40 ft-lbs.
Just treat it like any other car\truck imo, it's just an oil plug.

BTB123

Reaction score
Why would you have them put on the Fumoto? It literally spins in place of the bolt. I have one and it is so easy to change oil.

Av1

Reaction score
OP, I feel for you and hope it works out ok in the end.

I had a long reply that I erased. It may not have been as helpful as I wanted it to be.

Good luck and keep us posted how it turns out.

Edit: I hate when I’m on my phone and don’t realize I’m replying to an old thread. 😂

Last edited:

TSL

Reaction score
Why would you have them put on the Fumoto? It literally spins in place of the bolt. I have one and it is so easy to change oil.
Only because I have to first deal with the mess of oil everywhere until I get it on. Every time I change oil on anything, from my lawn mower to a car, I always seem to finish up dripping in the stuff !!!
I'd rather let someone else fit it !!

Users who are viewing this thread