5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dealership forgot to torque drain plug after oil change - truck broke down on highway.

alamgirian6329

Reaction score
Truck: 2020 Ecodiesel
Mileage: 58500 (now)

Background: Past 2 blackstone reports suspected higher than average wear on motor, so I bought Penzoil oil and Mopar original filter - dealer agreed to charge labor for oil change. I wanted to compare how my engine runs on Penzoil vs. dealership oil.

After coming home, saw a huge oil puddle on driveway, turned around to go back to dealership (about 15 miles away). Barely few miles from home, truck had low oil light, so I pulled to the side of highway and had the truck towed to the dealer. They apologized, that the technician didnt torque the drain plug. Truck "sounded" okay so they offered to change the oil on dealership in 2000 miles and then see if there is any metal in the filter.

Obviously I will be sending oil for analysis. I really wanted to send the oil for analysis from when I got it towed to the dealership, but since the drain plug had fallen somewhere on the highway, the truck didnt have any oil in it. I drove total of 18-22 miles (presumably when it was leaking).

Dealership offered free oil change in 2000 miles - also offered a free $1100 EGR system service.
I made clear, that my concern is damage to the motor. The shop foreman said, the new engines have specialized coating, that if they are run even without oil for little bit, they should be okay. I called them on it - and said that "had it been my fault, my warranty would be long void).

Truck has been running okay, except I have noticed slight MPG drop and a subtle squeek type noise whenever I turn the truck off.

I would appreciate some suggestions, on how to go about it ?

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
This is why I do my own oil changes, I simply don't trust CDJR dealerships, they seem the most over worked and least caring in my 30 years of buying and getting cars serviced.

Mind you, my RAM is the only new vehicle I DIY my own services, our Toyota and other vehicles go to the dealership while under warranty.

That being said, get an oil sample over to Blackstone before your next oil change with the dealership. You can order a special syringe kit from Blackstone to pull a sample without having to DIY your oil change, so the dealer can still take care of the service for you. But you will at least have a sample and report at your disposal in case the engine situation escalates.

Typically when a dealership screws this up, even if the engine seems fine, they should extend the engine warranty in case something happens in the future that is probably related to this.

Littlejoe81

Reaction score
Really sad, having worked in various fields, I do my own work, I haven't even brought my vehicle in for recalls, scared they would screw that up too. No oil equals new engine or truck on them period!!!! Damage has already been done. All oil gone causes wear on all moving parts and these newer engines have very tight clearances; get documentation in writing from the dealer for their mistake because they will lie and say the vehicle is fine and you will end up paying down the road out your pocket later trust me! Oil has many different properties which include cooling-dissipating heat, cleaning, reducing friction which prevents wear, sealing piston rings between cylinder walls, transferring energy and preventing corrosion. I worked at a engine shop 15 years ago in Detroit and torn down and rebuilt many engines, even on agriculture and diesel equipment at Kishwaukee community college here in Illinois, engines are very sophisticated and require constant training with technology constantly changing. I would first be concerned about the overheating of the bearing surfaces which cannot be seen unless being torn apart; these bearing surfaces could become blue due to overheating, second a compression test, third the top end being compromised due to lack of oil for example collapsed lifters, If you don't have a hemi tick... you will now. Most technicians don't have the experience when it comes to engine teardown and rebuild, it is a specialty like welding and I myself am still learning to this day. It's good you came to this site because now you know the direction you need to go which is a replacement just as the other fellow members mentioned. Don't let them give you a excuse or lie/ extend the warranty/ or free oil changes! Once the oil light comes on, usually it's too late! Dealerships have insurance for a reason, don't let them scam or take advantage of you, contact them and advise them you want a new engine or a new truck as I see you have the eco-diesel which are very expensive and will become discontinued. The dealer will have to foot the bill!!! Please keep us posted and get everything in writing from them, keep the pictures you took from your phone .... oil light on, check engine light on , oil on driveway and pictures of tow truck/ receipts. Sorry this happened to you, I hope this information helps you, as well as the input from the other members here on this board.

Attachments

• 20230216_070522.png
    20230216_070522.png
    478.7 KB · Views: 38
  • 20230216_070547-1.png
    20230216_070547-1.png
    644.4 KB · Views: 35
  • 20230104_033042.png
    20230104_033042.png
    741.9 KB · Views: 36
  • 20230216_070233-3.png
    20230216_070233-3.png
    663.6 KB · Views: 34
  • 20230216_070102-4.png
    20230216_070102-4.png
    451.4 KB · Views: 36
  • 20230216_070459-3.png
    20230216_070459-3.png
    496.4 KB · Views: 33
  • 20230216_070428.png
    20230216_070428.png
    536.9 KB · Views: 33
  • 20230216_070126_edit_1677479006937-1.jpg
    20230216_070126_edit_1677479006937-1.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 32
  • 20230216_072539.png
    20230216_072539.png
    827.3 KB · Views: 30
  • Screenshot_20220818-141524.png
    Screenshot_20220818-141524.png
    531.7 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:

tom318

Reaction score
Such a shame. Another reason I do my own service. This "specialized coating" lie is even more frustrating. Not sure such a thing exists where you can run engines with NO oil and not compromise anything. It may have survived and may continue to run but something has been compromised. I would also try to fight for a longer warranty now.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I wonder how long until you need to have your engine replaced now. Those dudes ruined your truck... You don't even need to torque the bolt on, just throw it on. I wonder wtf they really did.

OP says the drain plug legit fell out before he had to get it towed.

I would want at least an additional 60k mile warranty, because you have stuff bonked, or about to bonk. There's a reason you need to keep good working oil in your engine. He's 100% right about his warranty being voided. Almost should replace it with a NEW engine engine to keep the warranty intact. I don't think it's outlandish with what happened. I would call Ram, since the dealership essentlly voided your warranty for you, they should restore it with warrantable parts.

kzielu

Reaction score
I'd ask for new engine and not listen to the nonsense that engine "should" be ok...

Having said that, seeing big puddle of oil, turning around and driving back without checking the cause and oil level was not the smartest move here...

Idahoktm

Reaction score
This is why I do my own oil changes, I simply don't trust CDJR dealerships, they seem the most over worked and least caring in my 30 years of buying and getting cars serviced.

Mind you, my RAM is the only new vehicle I DIY my own services, our Toyota and other vehicles go to the dealership while under warranty.

That being said, get an oil sample over to Blackstone before your next oil change with the dealership. You can order a special syringe kit from Blackstone to pull a sample without having to DIY your oil change, so the dealer can still take care of the service for you. But you will at least have a sample and report at your disposal in case the engine situation escalates.

Typically when a dealership screws this up, even if the engine seems fine, they should extend the engine warranty in case something happens in the future that is probably related to this.

This is not a specific brand issue, it's just human error. We had this happen to my wife's Lexus.

HEMIJAKE

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I also do my own service because I don't trust anyone. I wrote about it on a different thread here, but I recently changed the oil in my wife cherokee (lease) for the first time. I had it changed at the dealership the first time, because it was free, and because I never planned on keeping the vehicle. I was able to take the drain plug out with my fingers, without a wrench. I didn't have any leaks yet, but very easily could have been in the same boat as you.

LouNY

Reaction score
Truck: 2020 Ecodiesel
Mileage: 58500 (now)

Background: Past 2 blackstone reports suspected higher than average wear on motor, so I bought Penzoil oil and Mopar original filter - dealer agreed to charge labor for oil change. I wanted to compare how my engine runs on Penzoil vs. dealership oil.

After coming home, saw a huge oil puddle on driveway, turned around to go back to dealership (about 15 miles away). Barely few miles from home, truck had low oil light, so I pulled to the side of highway and had the truck towed to the dealer. They apologized, that the technician didnt torque the drain plug. Truck "sounded" okay so they offered to change the oil on dealership in 2000 miles and then see if there is any metal in the filter.

Obviously I will be sending oil for analysis. I really wanted to send the oil for analysis from when I got it towed to the dealership, but since the drain plug had fallen somewhere on the highway, the truck didnt have any oil in it. I drove total of 18-22 miles (presumably when it was leaking).

Dealership offered free oil change in 2000 miles - also offered a free $1100 EGR system service.
I made clear, that my concern is damage to the motor. The shop foreman said, the new engines have specialized coating, that if they are run even without oil for little bit, they should be okay. I called them on it - and said that "had it been my fault, my warranty would be long void).

Truck has been running okay, except I have noticed slight MPG drop and a subtle squeek type noise whenever I turn the truck off.

I would appreciate some suggestions, on how to go about it ?

I'd ask for new engine and not listen to the nonsense that engine "should" be ok...

Having said that, seeing big puddle of oil, turning around and driving back without checking the cause and oil level was not the smartest move here...

I would have made the dealer come and tow that truck back instead of driving it back. And ask them for either a new engine or a new truck.

When you saw an oil puddle on your driveway did you pop the hood and check the oil level????
Why in the heck would you drive your truck when you should have know it was low on oil???
If the plug was missing it fell out after leaving your driveway.

Yes, the individual who changed your oil screwed up,
BUT YOU totallly screwed up driving it after seeing a damned leak.
With both of you at fault I'd say the dealership is being reasonable.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
This is not a specific brand issue, it's just human error. We had this happen to my wife's Lexus.

It's absolutely a brand issue, if you look at the service ratings for dealership networks, CDJR are at the very bottom of the list for the last few years. It's the opposite for the sales department, but when it comes to service and maintenance satisfaction, they are last.

Everybody can make mistakes as per your Lexus, but it's clearly a systemic issue with Stellantis in the US not just based on my own personal experiences.

But on a personal level, I would not be doing my own oil changes on a vehicle still under warranty if I didn't have good cause, and in the 30 years I've owned new vehicles, my RAM is the first time I refuse to take it to them based on my personal experiences so far. I'm sure there are good dealerships out there, but I haven't found one in the 4-5 in my city.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
When you saw an oil puddle on your driveway did you pop the hood and check the oil level????
Why in the heck would you drive your truck when you should have know it was low on oil???
If the plug was missing it fell out after leaving your driveway.

Yes, the individual who changed your oil screwed up,
BUT YOU totallly screwed up driving it after seeing a damned leak.
With both of you at fault I'd say the dealership is being reasonable.
OP went to the stealership for work.
Dealership did said work and said everything was good and sent him on his way.
OP drove home, and noticed something was off so he went back to the dealership which he just left as everything was good.
He pulled over on the way back and got it towed after the oil light came on to prevent further damage.

This is 0% OP's fault. The dealership is 100% at fault.
I wouldn't of driven it in, but I also wouldn't allow a dealership to change my truck's oil.

Common sense is do the maintenance the manual says at the dealership, and if things are wrong or lights turn on to get it looked at. Assuming OP is a paying customer who is having his maintenance done (at a premium cost most likely) at the dealership. The burden shouldn't be on OP who JUST HAD THEIR TRUCK SERVICES BY A CERTIFIED PROFESSIONAL to get under their truck and check the work he just paid for to be done.

Not everyone even understands how cars\trucks work, but everyone sure drives one. This is the only reason dealership service departments even exist, else why would anyone in their sane mind go to a dealership's service department knowing how terrible they mostly are.

But on a personal level, I would not be doing my own oil changes on a vehicle still under warranty if I didn't have good cause, and in the 30 years I've owned new vehicles, my RAM is the first time I refuse to take it to them based on my personal experiences so far. I'm sure there are good dealerships out there, but I haven't found one in the 4-5 in my city.
I feel you. It's an unfortunate world we live in. From what I have been told dealerships want to pay minimum wage for their employees and only keep the bare minimum "qualified" technicians on staff. I wouldn't want someone making minimum wage working on my truck, why would they even care about quality if they are making scraps and could make the same money or even more just working at a fast food joint, even Taco Bell hires around here for $18/h starting wages...

Idahoktm

Reaction score
It's absolutely a brand issue, if you look at the service ratings for dealership networks, CDJR are at the very bottom of the list for the last few years. It's the opposite for the sales department, but when it comes to service and maintenance satisfaction, they are last.

Everybody can make mistakes as per your Lexus, but it's clearly a systemic issue with Stellantis in the US not just based on my own personal experiences.

I'm not denying the fact that CDJR has poor service department ratings compared to other brands, but we are talking about a loose drain bolt. That's a human issue. Leaky rear windows, eTorque stalling, UConnect 5, etc. are brand issues. How Stellantis addresses those defects is a big part of the low service department ratings.

kzielu

Reaction score
This is 0% OP's fault. The dealership is 100% at fault.
I wouldn't of driven it in, but I also wouldn't allow a dealership to change my truck's oil.
Fault or not, some absolutely basic common sense would dictate looking under the truck to see where that puddle is coming from and checking the dipstick (especially that manuals typically have some CYA language "check oil level before every drive". Also, low oil light is not low oil level, it's low oil pressure. At this point, engine is very likely damaged.

So yes, it's dealership fault, but now he either needs to fight for a new engine or spend years worrying if his engine longevity has been reduced to right after powertrain warranty expires. Could have been easily prevented.

JoeRam

Reaction score
Once I noticed the oil, I would have driven that truck till the engine seized and then called the dealership as I sat in the side of the road.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I'm not denying the fact that CDJR has poor service department ratings compared to other brands, but we are talking about a loose drain bolt. That's a human issue. Leaky rear windows, eTorque stalling, UConnect 5, etc. are brand issues. How Stellantis addresses those defects is a big part of the low service department ratings.
I don't agree.
If a dealership gives bad service, puts engines in a position to seize up while driving the dealership should no longer be allowed to sell or provide warranty service for that manufacturer.
How many Ram dealerships give bad service, but are still allowed to continue to sell and service their vehicles? Likely every single one.

Stellantis only cares about numbers\money, not the experience. As long as a dealership continues to sell they will continue to certify and allow the dealership to do as they please.
Also the other car manufactures do the same thing which doesn't make it right. dealerships should get shut down or require paid corporate staffing to review the dealership for a certain amount of time. A probation period if you will.
Once I noticed the oil, I would have driven that truck till the engine seized and then called the dealership as I sat in the side of the road.
Yep. And OP wouldn't be dealing with the stealership claiming it should of been fine to drive with no oil.
Unfortunately I bet the dealership would just claim the owner removed the bolt to cause the damage.
Probably too late now but I would of got them on voice recording admitting to not properly putting the screw in, as I bet they are just going to deny it all now and claim it was a curiosity oil change without stating why.

The next couple conversations with the dealership and Ram are going to dictate how this goes for OP, and I hope they make out well and get the engine replaced with a new engine (or remanned) with a long engine warranty.

For reference when my Kia's engine got replaced under warranty\recall a re-manufactured one was put in and I was given a 10 year 100k mile warranty on THE REPLACEMENT ENGINE. The car was already several years old and had 60k miles on the original engine. I got rid of the car because it scarred the crap out of me just getting the engine replaced, but I could of kept it and for 10y\100k miles known any problem with the engine would of been covered for a total of 160k miles of cars body.

Mdhwoods

Reaction score
I don't agree.
If a dealership gives bad service, puts engines in a position to seize up while driving the dealership should no longer be allowed to sell or provide warranty service for that manufacturer.
How many Ram dealerships give bad service, but are still allowed to continue to sell and service their vehicles? Likely every single one.

Stellantis only cares about numbers\money, not the experience. As long as a dealership continues to sell they will continue to certify and allow the dealership to do as they please.
Also the other car manufactures do the same thing which doesn't make it right. dealerships should get shut down or require paid corporate staffing to review the dealership for a certain amount of time. A probation period if you will.

Yep. And OP wouldn't be dealing with the stealership claiming it should of been fine to drive with no oil.
Unfortunately I bet the dealership would just claim the owner removed the bolt to cause the damage.
Probably too late now but I would of got them on voice recording admitting to not properly putting the screw in, as I bet they are just going to deny it all now and claim it was a curiosity oil change without stating why.

The next couple conversations with the dealership and Ram are going to dictate how this goes for OP, and I hope they make out well and get the engine replaced with a new engine (or remanned) with a long engine warranty.

For reference when my Kia's engine got replaced under warranty\recall a re-manufactured one was put in and I was given a 10 year 100k mile warranty on THE REPLACEMENT ENGINE. The car was already several years old and had 60k miles on the original engine. I got rid of the car because it scarred the crap out of me just getting the engine replaced, but I could of kept it and for 10y\100k miles known any problem with the engine would of been covered for a total of 160k miles of cars body.
When you have a roof leak at your house you as the owner have an obligation to contain the issue and to minimize the damage. You can be denied coverage for an issue by doing nothing. The op surly should have looked to see what said light was especially with a puddle before ever Driving back. Yes dealer is at fault for improperly securing plug, but op is at fault for driving it that way after noticing an issue. He’s lucky they are doing anything to be honest. seem the lack of taking personal responsibility is a common theme more and more. 25 years ago i lost a freeze plug and blew out all my oil. Oil Light came on and I immediately pulled over, had vehicle towed and issue fixed under warantee. Sure i could have continued to drive, but that would have been on me.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
The op surly should have looked to see what said light was especially with a puddle before ever Driving back.
No lights on dash?
After coming home, saw a huge oil puddle on driveway, turned around to go back to dealership (about 15 miles away).
25 years ago i lost a freeze plug and blew out all my oil. Oil Light came on and I immediately pulled over, had vehicle towed and issue fixed under warantee. Sure i could have continued to drive, but that would have been on me.
Did you even read what OP said?
Barely few miles from home, truck had low oil light, so I pulled to the side of highway and had the truck towed to the dealer.
Lights on dash and he stopped.

OP did the same exact thing as you, but you claim personal responsibility. So are you saying you have no personal responsibility because you were driving when you lost a freeze plug?
I don't get why you are trying to beat up OP. He did nothing wrong, expect having work done at a dealership.

Users who are viewing this thread