5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dealership delays repair until after warranty? (possibly not malicious)

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
If I'm going faster than 45mph around a sweeping left turn, the steering wheel would stick (initially it felt like lane keep assist, but I don't have that option).

Do you think I should go ahead and have the issue fixed for the $650 they're offering, or will the rack and pinion limp along for the life of the vehicle?
I mean it sounds pretty dangerous...
Is it possible it can get worse and lock up differently or stronger then you expect and cause an accident into oncoming traffic because you can't turn it back?
I don't know, but I would probably get it fixed.
Sucked they will not cover it but there's not much you can do. The manufacturer has final say and unless the dealership wants to help you, you're screwed.

If it is well documented you could take the dealership to small claims court if you think you can prove they didn't fix the problem when you took it to them and waited until outside of the warranty to allow the repair to be done.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That dealer is the type that gives the others bad reps. The service manager should be giving you a goodwill repair! Go in there and raise hell with the management or even the owners. Ask for the dealers rep from Stellantis!

Littlejoe81

Reaction score
I have a question about whether or not this sounds reasonable.

Since I bought my 2021 Big Horn offroad, I've have what appears to be a rack and pinion issue. If I'm going faster than 45mph around a sweeping left turn, the steering wheel would stick (initially it felt like lane keep assist, but I don't have that option). I took it to the dealership when it had a few thousand miles, and pointed this out. They said they saw no issue.

I took it in again, for that issue and one other when I had about 20,000 miles. They fixed one issue, and said there was no rack and pinion issue, and they couldn't duplicate the issue.

I just took it in again, now that i'm around 500 miles past my bumper to bumper, and they said the rack and pinion definitely needs to be replaced, and it's not covered under warranty anymore. I mentioned that I had brought this to them before, and they said they'd cover all of it but $1400. I complained further, and got in contact with the guy who sold me the truck, and then they went down to $650.

They're saying that the reason they won't cover it completely is because RAM is pushing back on it since it's out of warranty. Does this sound normal, or should I push harder or contact RAM directly?
Always get things in writing!!! I'm an aircraft tech. and also automotive and diesel tech., went to school for all three in case I get laid off, economy, ect.... My retired black Saturn car of 20 years, the rack was going out and it would make the car jerk during a turn; nowadays new cars are electronic rack and pinions and you know with electronic parts... just like these new fridges and washer machines (garbage) not like back in the day stuff. I had to fight with FCA and the dealer because my (RAM) new vehicle chrome wheel was pitted and they tried to blame me with less than 2000 miles on it saying an electronic car wash damaged it, lol.. but dealer...I don't use electronic car washes! I hand wash my vehicles only and the microfibers from the rag was catching on the pits which I showed them. I took my wheel off for them to replace as I don't trust nobody touching my vehicles, being careless and scratching them... I'm really a picky and attention to detail type of person. I had to tell them to balance it and the tire only had 15 psi in it.. Pretty sad... lets just say they didn't like me but this was unacceptable and dangerous. When I worked in automotive 15 years ago I would take my customers on a test drive with me to verify their complaint if necessary. Always listen to the customer and fix their issue right the first time and not something else! I feel most technicians don't care, hate warranty work, and don't have experience in diagnosing concerns. When you enjoy your career it doesn't feel like a job it's pure fun everyday all day, maybe most technicians/ service writers don't like their job and customers get punished for it? I treated every customer car as if its my own regardless of how it looks or how old because they worked hard for it and don't want to be back catching the bus like me back in my Detroit days. If I was the owner there at that dealer, there would be consequences and we would be repairing your vehicle for free. A vehicle is a huge investment and I keep mine until they die, I will keep my cars from the 90's till I'm gone, lol.

20230104_042052-2.png Screenshot_20211021-170004.png 20220604_092246-1.jpg 20220613_091758~2-2.jpg 20211016_063148.jpg 20201013_030114.jpg 20230109_140416-1.jpg 20220616_162152~3-1.jpg 20220605_204115.jpg

Last edited:

Littlejoe81

Reaction score
I forgot.... keep fighting and calling FCA and go higher and ask to have your case escalated if needed, it took me three months to get a simple chrome wheel replaced, although I purchased a new night edition wheel tire set on offer up as a second set. Keep fighting, you should not have to pay, I'm tired of dealers saying or lying... sorry we could not duplicate the issue; the customer drives his or her car everyday so don't tell them nothing is wrong or there is no issue! Otherwise the customer would not be bringing it in.

Users who are viewing this thread