5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dealer tonneau cover cost?

smgorham

Reaction score
Hi folks,

Just bought my 2023 Ram 1500 Limited and loving it. One thing I am missing from my last one is a tonneau cover so the dealers service department called me last night and said for a Mopar hard tri fold cover it would be about $1600 installed. This seemed kinda crazy expensive to me. I know a lot of folks do it themselves but I have no mechanical skills whatsoever. Is this a good price or is this an example of dealer mark up like their other services?

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don't know how good Mopar's hard cover is, but Rough Country's hard cover is $700, so they're charging $900 to clamp some rails to the bed and snap the cover in place.

Ram-a-Kin

Reaction score
Tonneaus are extremely easy to install, save your self some $$ to spend elsewhere on your truck and contact @Accessory.Parts for a good deal on Leer or BAK. My ‘22 Limited came with a soft tri-fold cover and I immediately replaced it with a Leer HF650.

crusher

Ram Guru
Reaction score
my dealer charge me 1300$ cad thats 990$ usd installed, for that cover, but before negociating he wanted 1800$ cad (about 1360$ usd)

mine is for a 5.7 bed with rambox but dont think the regular box will be more expensive

by the way i use to own a backflip f1 hard trifold on my last ram, and i prefer this mopar hard trifold,

for now i find the mopar lighter to open, easyer to open, the open handles seems to work a bit better, as for look they are very similar

Last edited:

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Mark Dodge wanted to charge me $1000 to install a Borla exhaust lol.
Some dealerships give you stupid high rates, not sure why.

Generally install of a cover is around $200, but very easy to do most of them yourself.

Hard trifolds are $700-1300.
$1600 gets you into hard retractable territory for covers.

Get an MX4 and install it yourself and call it a day.

gumbo2000

Reaction score
Can anyone confirm if the 2023 Limiteds come with a cover? Perhaps with a certain package?

I’ve researched but haven’t found a clear answer. I have a hard cover picked out but not sure if the truck is going to come with the black rails (that come with the soft cover), silver rails, or none. I would really like to get my top ordered but not sure if my future rail situation.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Can anyone confirm if the 2023 Limiteds come with a cover? Perhaps with a certain package?

I’ve researched but haven’t found a clear answer. I have a hard cover picked out but not sure if the truck is going to come with the black rails (that come with the soft cover), silver rails, or none. I would really like to get my top ordered but not sure if my future rail situation.
Do you not have your equipment listing yet?
Do you know your vin number?

It's listed as "Tri-Fold Tonneau Cover" on the equipment listing page

gumbo2000

Reaction score
Do you not have your equipment listing yet?
Do you know your vin number?

It's listed as "Tri-Fold Tonneau Cover" on the equipment listing page

Thanks for the tip! I checked and it is not listed. Would the same apply to the rails?

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip! I checked and it is not listed. Would the same apply to the rails?
You will need to let us know.
If I had to guess yours will not come with any rails.

My build sheet doesn't even say it comes with rails even though it did because of the soft cover it came with.

You will need to let us know when you get it what happens.

Ram-a-Kin

Reaction score

The Tonneau cover only comes on the Limited if you get the Night Edition package. I got that package on my ‘22 Limited and took that one off immediately and installed a Leer hard cover Which I ordered before getting my truck. I don’t think your Limited will come with any sort of rails.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
The Tonneau cover only comes on the Limited if you get the Night Edition package. I got that package on my ‘22 Limited and took that one off immediately and installed a Leer hard cover Which I ordered before getting my truck. I don’t think your Limited will come with any sort of rails.
This is not true.
You can add the cover without the night edition package just no one would do that as who buys a Limited and wants a soft cover.

Kaldir1934

Reaction score
I've got the BAKFlip MX4 Tonneau Cover and I love it so far. Looks to be about $1200 on their site.

crusher

Ram Guru
Reaction score
this thread is getting out of route, the op is asking about the price of a MOPAR hard tonneau cover installed. hes not asking about all the others ones...

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
this thread is getting out of route, the op is asking about the price of a MOPAR hard tonneau cover installed. hes not asking about all the others ones...
He is asking about install price. Thread is still spot on.

$1600 for a Mopar installed one is crazy.
The cover itself is between 900-1100$.
Install of a cover even at an expensive place tops out at $200, but generally is around $75.
Paying someone to install it is pointless. Will get better quality doing it yourself and it's easy for most of them.
The Mopar one is an mx4, which is a 1 person job.

crusher

Ram Guru
Reaction score
He is asking about install price. Thread is still spot on.

$1600 for a Mopar installed one is crazy.
The cover itself is between 900-1100$.
Install of a cover even at an expensive place tops out at $200, but generally is around $75.
Paying someone to install it is pointless. Will get better quality doing it yourself and it's easy for most of them.
The Mopar one is an mx4, which is a 1 person job.
your allowed your opinion

but he didnt ask for all brand tonneau he specifictly said MOPAR... installed by dealer....

we are fare frome other brands..

he wanted to know if he got a good price or not, and if not what others have paid for MOPAR at dealer installed...

but maybe i read wrong...

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
he wanted to know if he got a good price or not, and if not what others have paid for MOPAR at dealer installed...

but maybe i read wrong...
Also the Mopar cover IS made by Bak Industries, they just label is as Mopar. Mopar doesn't make their own hard trifold, so it is relevant.
Also this is what I read
this a good price or is this an example of dealer mark up like their other services?
Is an example of a dealer markup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online