5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dealer Tire Rotation

dlrsavannah

Reaction score
Has anybody with aftermarket wheels ever been told by a local Ram dealership that they won't balance and rotate aftermarket wheels and tires due to liability issues just incase they broke your lug key or stripped your lugs?

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Friend's story - BMW would not replace the tire and balance it if the tire was not purchased from them for his 6 series..

Brother's story - forget the particulars but the dealership did not charge for a tire repair, he believes it may have been a liability issue - no record.

Q: What did the lawyer name his daughter?
A: Sue. And his son? Bill.

A rabbi, a Hindu, and a lawyer are in a car that breaks down in the countryside one evening. They walk to a nearby farm and the farmer tells them it’s too late for a tow truck but he has only two extra beds and one of them will have to sleep in the barn. The Hindu says, “I’m humble, I’ll sleep in the barn.” But minutes later he returns and knocks on the door and says, “There is a cow in the barn. It’s against my beliefs to sleep in the same building as a cow.” So the rabbi says, “It’s okay, I’ll sleep in the barn.” But soon, he is back knocking on the door as well, saying, “There is a pig in the barn, and I cannot shelter in a building with a pig.” So the lawyer is forced to sleep in the barn. Shortly, there is another knock on the door and the farmer sighs and answers it. It’s the pig and the cow.

No offense to any Ram lawyers. But I'm sure you could argue that.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Nope sounds like a lazy dealer or service writer that doesn’t want the work. Its no different then if you were having the stock setup rotated same risk of breaking a stud or stripping a lugnut still applies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

KMach

Reaction score
I can see both ways on this. $30 for a rotate but god forbid you scratch one of these aftermarket shiney wheels it’s going to be a fight. To make it right it will cost a new wheel and still a bad relationship between the customer and shop. Ive done the samething when I have seen stupid offset wheels on 3/4 ton trucks with a 5th wheel in the back. I’m not going to be the last guy to put those wheels on. Seen too many split and loosen up because these morons don’t buy the correct wheels for what they are doing.

Goto a tire shop, they probably don’t care or are willing to risk it.

Jako

Reaction score
Don't know much about tire machines but the one shop owner with a new $4500 machine takes his Corvette wheels to another tire shop to have the wheels done. I don't recall his cost but it was not cheap.

The $4500 machine does beautiful work from what I can see.

dlrsavannah

Reaction score
Nope sounds like a lazy dealer or service writer that doesn’t want the work. Its no different then if you were having the stock setup rotated same risk of breaking a stud or stripping a lugnut still applies.

That's kinda what I figured too.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Still no different then how you would handle a factory rim… those will still scratch if they’re careless. Its just a rotation not like they’re having to dismount and mount tires. I wouldn’t doubt it if its the whole “covid” excuse that businesses are still abusing… short staff this, backlog that, lets push away a tire rotation because its minor and not enough profit in it to justify doing it.

dlrsavannah

Reaction score
I can see both ways on this. $30 for a rotate but god forbid you scratch one of these aftermarket shiney wheels it’s going to be a fight. To make it right it will cost a new wheel and still a bad relationship between the customer and shop. Ive done the samething when I have seen stupid offset wheels on 3/4 ton trucks with a 5th wheel in the back. I’m not going to be the last guy to put those wheels on. Seen too many split and loosen up because these morons don’t buy the correct wheels for what they are doing.

Goto a tire shop, they probably don’t care or are willing to risk it.
Heck, if it was a oem wheel, I'd be pissed about a scratch too. Whether it's aftermarket or not, makes no difference. Have you seen what oem wheels cost each? It'd be cheaper just replace an aftermarket.

dlrsavannah

Reaction score
Don't know much about tire machines but the one shop owner with a new $4500 machine takes his Corvette wheels to another tire shop to have the wheels done. I don't recall his cost but it was not cheap.

The $4500 machine does beautiful work from what I can see.
Just don't goto Mavis. Had them replace tires on a vehicle once and the oem wheels had a scratch all around each one in the center. They actually tried to say it wasn't them that did it when they knew damn well it was. Got them to repair it all at their cost.

KMach

Reaction score
Heck, if it was a oem wheel, I'd be pissed about a scratch too. Whether it's aftermarket or not, makes no difference. Have you seen what oem wheels cost each? It'd be cheaper just replace an aftermarket.
Absolutely. But you missed my point. A dealer can push a warranty wheel if they had to to eat a wheel because of that. When you get a wheel from 1800whoknowswheels it makes it that much harder. To each their own, I don’t know what the OP has.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Avoid all that and go to your local America's & Discount Tire shop, and ask for their lifetime rotate & balance with roadside hazard warranty.

I paid less than $200 for this package on my Rebel, it includes not only free rotations, but balances, which most dealers don't do. Most dealers charge $50 just to rotate, nice to take that off your service bill.

It also includes road hazard insurance for my expensive OEM Duratracs. Anything that can't be patched will be replaced free of charge.

Discount Tire/American Tire will put this package on any set of tires purchased there or not, regardless of the tread left. Obviously it doesn't make financial sense to do this on old tires. But as you can see, it pays for itself after just 4 rotations and you still have the remaining lifetime of your tires of free rotations & balances while also insurance in case your tires need to be replaced by a road hazard.

I put this package on all my vehicles and it has never not paid for itself, in some cases, a couple of times over.

wegasque

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Avoid all that and go to your local America's & Discount Tire shop, and ask for their lifetime rotate & balance with roadside hazard warranty.

I paid less than $200 for this package on my Rebel, it includes not only free rotations, but balances, which most dealers don't do. Most dealers charge $50 just to rotate, nice to take that off your service bill.

It also includes road hazard insurance for my expensive OEM Duratracs. Anything that can't be patched will be replaced free of charge.

Discount Tire/American Tire will put this package on any set of tires purchased there or not, regardless of the tread left. Obviously it doesn't make financial sense to do this on old tires. But as you can see, it pays for itself after just 4 rotations and you still have the remaining lifetime of your tires of free rotations & balances while also insurance in case your tires need to be replaced by a road hazard.

I put this package on all my vehicles and it has never not paid for itself, in some cases, a couple of times over.

Agreed. Since they tag it to your license plates, I waited until my new plates came in after buying my truck and then went to Discount Tire and bought the certificates for the tires. I've always done it with all new tires no matter where I got them from. I got a nail in my tire on I-10 in BFE Texas between El Paso and San Antonio a few years ago, found someone to patch it locally, and then went to a Discount Tire after getting to my destination in NC and replaced all the tires on my Pacifica. They gave me a discount because the tires still had tread left and reimbursed me for the plug after I provided the receipt. Yep, I'm a big fan of Discount Tire.

Users who are viewing this thread