5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dealer tcm update out of warranty.

BigSnake

Reaction score
Hey guys. My 2019 1500 is in the shop for an exhaust repair. My dealer is telling me I should get a TCM update $135. Is this update essential and is that price fair? It seems to run fine the way it is. My truck has 80k so our power train warranty is up

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hey guys. My 2019 1500 is in the shop for an exhaust repair. My dealer is telling me I should get a TCM update $135. Is this update essential and is that price fair? It seems to run fine the way it is. My truck has 80k so our power train warranty is up
I would ask them what the update "fixes" or makes better. And why they suggest doing it

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I'm of the opinion that if it's working to your satisfaction, don't mess with it. I'd also look for another dealership to work with for future maintenance and repairs. Unless they can suggest a valid reason for the update, they're just wanting to make $135 off you. A good dealership won't suggest applying updates for no reason.

BigSnake

Reaction score
I would ask them what the update "fixes" or makes better. And why they suggest doing it
Thank you. I did ask that and they said that it is just the latest update to help the transmission run at its optimum performance and fixed bugs. I don’t know if I trust it.

BigSnake

Reaction score
Pretty ridiculous there is no vin decoder or way of checking this ourselves? Sound like one of those things most people just deal with after warranty. What a shame. My service man compared it to an Apple iPhone needing performance updates occasionally. I said it’s not comparable to an Apple iPhone. Those are free and It says it in writing what exactly is wrong and what they are fixing. Not that it’s not worth $135. It could be worth $500. But I would like to have some detailed information besides a vebal opinion.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thank you. I did ask that and they said that it is just the latest update to help the transmission run at its optimum performance and fixed bugs. I don’t know if I trust it.
If you aren't having any issues, I'd say no.

JF19Longhorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Stealership tried the same thing with mine.. but it's @ 35k and still under warranty.. Doesn't matter, 9 modules had out of date software andI can't remember if they said $160 or $190. Told them no thanks..

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Stealership tried the same thing with mine.. but it's @ 35k and still under warranty.. Doesn't matter, 9 modules had out of date software andI can't remember if they said $160 or $190. Told them no thanks..
Cool story. Every update has a TSB. Every vehicle can get a pre and post scan report that will show the updated software version. I'm in the boat, do it now.

JF19Longhorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Cool story. Every update has a TSB. Every vehicle can get a pre and post scan report that will show the updated software version. I'm in the boat, do it now.
At this point I don't want them touching my truck, so once they're done replacing the manifold (reason they had her in the first place) she will hopefully never see a stealership again until I trade her in. (y)

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
At this point I don't want them touching my truck, so once they're done replacing the manifold (reason they had her in the first place) she will hopefully never see a stealership again until I trade her in. (y)
Again cool story. 😎

Users who are viewing this thread