5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dealer solicited service call

mdirads

Reaction score
Hi. I purchased a 22 Limited EcoDiesel and took delivery Labor Day of 2022, so I've had the truck for almost 4 months. Mileage is around 2350, and I did an oil and oil filter change at around 2250 miles. I coincidentally recently received a post card from the dealership which indicated anticipated mileage is 4,000 and it's due for service. I called the dealership and informed them of the current mileage, which was below their estimate. I was told that I could wait at this time but I should bring it in at 5,000 miles or 6 months. I thought the first service was not expected until 10,000 miles (however I don't wait that long to do an oil change obviously).

I'd rather not tie up a day at the dealership for something that is not necessary, but then again I don't want to jeopardize any factory warranty coverage or the extended warranty coverage that I have purchased. Is a 5,000 mile/6 month visit necessary? I had intended to change the oil and filter myself again at 5,000 miles and at 7,500 miles and then bring to dealership for the 10,000 mile service.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm taking a stab in the dark here. The dealer/marketing doesn't know what powertrain you have and the mileage is estimated off of an average person. Your mileage would be under average.

They can't force you to get maintenance done at the dealer. I don't know what your extended warranty company states as for maintenance.

You like to change your oil by the sounds of things. The 10k oil change is the max miles, Ram wants you to use the oil indicator system. We do 7500 miles as a base for diesels and 5000 miles for gas engines.

Last edited:

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
Hi. I purchased a 22 Limited EcoDiesel and took delivery Labor Day of 2022, so I've had the truck for almost 4 months. Mileage is around 2350, and I did an oil and oil filter change at around 2250 miles. I coincidentally recently received a post card from the dealership which indicated anticipated mileage is 4,000 and it's due for service. I called the dealership and informed them of the current mileage, which was below their estimate. I was told that I could wait at this time but I should bring it in at 5,000 miles or 6 months. I thought the first service was not expected until 10,000 miles (however I don't wait that long to do an oil change obviously).

I'd rather not tie up a day at the dealership for something that is not necessary, but then again I don't want to jeopardize any factory warranty coverage or the extended warranty coverage that I have purchased. Is a 5,000 mile/6 month visit necessary? I had intended to change the oil and filter myself again at 5,000 miles and at 7,500 miles and then bring to dealership for the 10,000 mile service.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks
imo dealer is just trying to get you in for unneeded service

following your manual will always be the best way to schedule service

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
As mentioned, this is normal marketing for dealerships to get you in for service for their benefit, not really for your benefit.

Also, regardless of how few miles you drive, you cannot go beyond 1 year if you don't want them to have an excuse to deny your warranty in the future.

I don't drive many miles either, but I DIY my oil changes at least once per year with receipts and record the date and mileage in my personal log & Mopar site to keep in good graces with my warranty.

mdirads

Reaction score
I appreciate the replies thus far.
I intend to have it dealer serviced annually. I was a bit skeptical about the early notice only 4 months into ownership.

cleigh

Reaction score
You get four free oil changes (and tire rotations) via Ram Cares included with the purchase of your truck, assuming you registered with Ram Cares when you got the emails. They have to be used within the 2 year window, so there's no reason to NOT get one every six months regardless of your mileage.

mdirads

Reaction score
You get four free oil changes (and tire rotations) via Ram Cares included with the purchase of your truck, assuming you registered with Ram Cares when you got the emails. They have to be used within the 2 year window, so there's no reason to NOT get one every six months regardless of your mileage.
thanks for the tip! I don't know if I registered with Ram Cares, so I'll look into it.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I didn't get 4 free oil changes.
I registered my truck when it was still at the plant getting built (so it showed up in my account)

cleigh

Reaction score
I didn't get 4 free oil changes.
I registered my truck when it was still at the plant getting built (so it showed up in my account)

If you go here can you log in?

If not then it didn't register. I wasn't able to register until after I had my truck. I had added it to my Ram trucks account before hand, but that's different than
Ram Care. I think you have to ask for the free services, but it's part of the Ram Care package.

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score

certain Ram Brand models sold in the state of Texas

Last edited:

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
If you go here can you log in?

If not then it didn't register. I wasn't able to register until after I had my truck. I had added it to my Ram trucks account before hand, but that's different than
Ram Care. I think you have to ask for the free services, but it's part of the Ram Care package.
I logged in. Everything is here.

Nothing is free, lol.
Just something about paying $50 for 6 months of XM radio.

Edit: I found it under "see my special offers" on a broken a$$ webpage
Looks like I get 5 quarts of oil, I pay tax and shop supplies (the hell they use shop supplies on an oil change, wear and tear on a socket?) and then pay the other 3 quarts of oil or whatever?
nawww i'm good.

I wonder what would happen if I went in with a few empty containers and asked if they could pour out 15 quarts of 0w20 full syn for me in exchange for 3 coupons, LOL.
1672453343383.png
1672453359824.png
1672453369391.png

Last edited:

cleigh

Reaction score
certain Ram Brand models sold in the state of Texas

Huh, you're right. That entire huge page that talks about auto enrollment for Ram buyers.... and a generic name "Ram Cares" that matches other things we all get. Then on the "fine print" page it says residents of Texas. The whole thing is odd.

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
Huh, you're right. That entire huge page that talks about auto enrollment for Ram buyers.... and a generic name "Ram Cares" that matches other things we all get. Then on the "fine print" page it says residents of Texas. The whole thing is odd.
odd yes, but ram has a special relationship with dealers in texas
which is why you can not get a bighorn in texas, it is called LONESTAR

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I recently received the same post card about required maintenance. My truck is at the 2 year point and 21k miles, so it's not a mileage thing. Also, I don't think there's a 2 year service interval requirement, so I took it as a marketing tool to get unassuming customers to bring the vehicle in for hundreds of dollars of unnecessary work.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I recently received the same post card about required maintenance. My truck is at the 2 year point and 21k miles, so it's not a mileage thing. Also, I don't think there's a 2 year service interval requirement, so I took it as a marketing tool to get unassuming customers to bring the vehicle in for hundreds of dollars of unnecessary work.
Or to get your oil change done and a recall performed.

Users who are viewing this thread