5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dealer says I need both half shafts & front differential 6 months out of warranty - Ram says no goodwill. What now?

NJ Ram Man

Reaction score
Long time lurker, first time poster looking for some help.

2019 Ram 1500 with ~65k miles. Took it to dealer for service (oil change, tire rotation, rear brakes)... told that truck needs both front half shafts & front differential replaced... for a cost of $5,400. Service Advisor recommended I contact Ram for assistance / goodwill, since the truck is ~6 months out of warranty (and ~5k miles).

Ram told me that while I would qualify for goodwill based on time & mileage out of warranty, my "loyalty score" was too low to qualify for any goodwill at all, and that I am on the hook for a $5,400 repair. I asked for case escalation and was told that wasn't possible.

Do I have any other avenue for assistance here, or do I really have to take this on the chin? Very disappointed that Ram basically told me to go pound sand... on a truck that has been well taken care of.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
LOL "loyalty score"

I also thought goodwill repairs were from the dealership NOT Ram?

I mean you are outside of your warranty time and millage so they aren't wrong for telling you to pound sand.

What problems were you having? You would know if you needed to get a differential worked on it's not a hidden problem. I wonder if they are just stringing you out, you might want to go to a third party and pay for a diag since they seem to want you to trade in your truck and get something else.
Needing to pay almost $6k on a 2019 is bonkers, those problems should of been fixed a while ago unless it all happened within your last oil change period.

NJ Ram Man

Reaction score
Honestly not sure Re: goodwill dealer vs. Ram. Dealer said to go to Ram as they may be "able to assist with repairs".

I have a grinding noise when turning right at slow speeds. Tech said the spline was stripping, leading to the half shaft & differential needing replacement.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
LOL "loyalty score"

I also thought goodwill repairs were from the dealership NOT Ram?

I mean you are outside of your warranty time and millage so they aren't wrong for telling you to pound sand.

What problems were you having? You would know if you needed to get a differential worked on it's not a hidden problem. I wonder if they are just stringing you out, you might want to go to a third party and pay for a diag since they seem to want you to trade in your truck and get something else.
Needing to pay almost $6k on a 2019 is bonkers, those problems should of been fixed a while ago unless it all happened within your last oil change period.
Dealers will usually never "goodwill" a service unless you are a valuable customer. The dealer will request goodwill repair from Ram when close to warranty.

I second getting a second opinion on the issue

Scap

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Honestly not sure Re: goodwill dealer vs. Ram. Dealer said to go to Ram as they may be "able to assist with repairs".

I have a grinding noise when turning right at slow speeds. Tech said the spline was stripping, leading to the half shaft & differential needing replacement.
That sounds like the steering rack "buzz" that many of us have. There's a TSB available that updates the software.

Snekpete

Reaction score
That sounds like the steering rack "buzz" that many of us have. There's a TSB available that updates the software.
Absolutely! Do your research. Look up the dealer reviews on Yelp and the BBB.

Loudram

Reaction score
Welcome to the site. Just curious, what dealership did you go to? I also agree with getting a second opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread