5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dealer Oil change

drstein

Reaction score
Went to the local dealer Wed to inquire about an oil change at 1700 miles. Told the Service Writer Matt I want full synthetic . He asked if I bought the truck there, no I replied. I stated the selling dealer gave me a 3 yr, 6 oil / tire rotate plan and would there be any charge. He replied, " Maybe fifteen or twenty bucks" . Fri morn I bring it in f/ appointment. Another Serv. Writer starts the paperwork as the "Matt" is on the phone. I inform the other writer I wanted it to be full synthetic. He acknowledges from the paperwork filled out Wed. Once its completed, I go in the the other writer says "You're all set, no charge, thank you " OHH...OK I said. I'm thinking what plan did the selling dlr give me. Seems like a myriad of different plans, price, tiers, ect. At home, I'm looking at the paperwork f/ the dlr and can't see wwhere it says " Synthetic" So I call. The other writer answers and I ask him, what maintenance plan do I have ?? He says I get two free full syn oil changes, they "give" it to you when you buy the truck. Huh ?? I have 6 oil changes. He starts researching and says " Oh, you didn't buy it here. The plan you have is basic. We really appreciate your honesty, you owe us 50+ dollars" WHAT ?? Excuse me ?? You " appreciate my honesty ", pay us 50+ dollars. Hmmm. I thought I might have had the Super Duper Maintenance plan, or maybe I owe them upwards of twenty dollars. Hope they don't "appreciate my honesty" much more, I'll go broke.

Axisbuck24

Reaction score
I went for my first oil change and did the synthetic blend. It cost me $30 in addition to my free oil changes. What is the going rate for full synthetic at a dealership? What are the advantages to full synthetic verses synthetic blend? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RJS

Reaction score
About $100 two months ago at the old dealership for full synthetic, up from $83 the change before. New dealership, where I bought my 19 Ram from sells 3 oil changes with full synthetic and tire rotation for $155. I'll buy one of those after I use up the two free ones I got with the truck.

drstein

Reaction score
They were telling me eighty some dollars whenI called from home after my service. That was another reason I was alittle surprised, as when I made the appt, I was told it would cost me fifreen to twenty. Guess they want me to come and give them fifty some dollars AND they appreciate my honesty. How about, we made a mistake, it was all on us, welcome to RAM ? I spent 7 yrs working at a GM dlr in the 80s as a Mgr. I know alittle bit about Service Dept's. They were going to call me back Fri, I'm waiting.

spaightlabs

Reaction score
Hmmmm. I would never presume that if I got anything free at one dealer that it was good at any other dealer?

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The dealership that I bought my truck from offered two free oil changes when I bought the truck. However, their service department sucks so I didn't use them. I would rather pay the current Service Department that I use because they are the absolute best. I think it costs me about $80 for the oil change, but I don't mind because these guys are great and deserve to be paid for their service.

drstein

Reaction score
Hmmmm. I would never presume that if I got anything free at one dealer that it was good at any other dealer?
It was a MOPAR Maintenance, good at any RAM Dlr. I asked when I went and made the appt. Can you pull up the program with my vin, he replied "Yes". He looked, I asked, " How much for ALL synthetic. His reply, "fifteen, maybe twenty"

Zinger

Reaction score
Went to the local dealer Wed to inquire about an oil change at 1700 miles. Told the Service Writer Matt I want full synthetic . He asked if I bought the truck there, no I replied. I stated the selling dealer gave me a 3 yr, 6 oil / tire rotate plan and would there be any charge. He replied, " Maybe fifteen or twenty bucks" . Fri morn I bring it in f/ appointment. Another Serv. Writer starts the paperwork as the "Matt" is on the phone. I inform the other writer I wanted it to be full synthetic. He acknowledges from the paperwork filled out Wed. Once its completed, I go in the the other writer says "You're all set, no charge, thank you " OHH...OK I said. I'm thinking what plan did the selling dlr give me. Seems like a myriad of different plans, price, tiers, ect. At home, I'm looking at the paperwork f/ the dlr and can't see wwhere it says " Synthetic" So I call. The other writer answers and I ask him, what maintenance plan do I have ?? He says I get two free full syn oil changes, they "give" it to you when you buy the truck. Huh ?? I have 6 oil changes. He starts researching and says " Oh, you didn't buy it here. The plan you have is basic. We really appreciate your honesty, you owe us 50+ dollars" WHAT ?? Excuse me ?? You " appreciate my honesty ", pay us 50+ dollars. Hmmm. I thought I might have had the Super Duper Maintenance plan, or maybe I owe them upwards of twenty dollars. Hope they don't "appreciate my honesty" much more, I'll go broke.

If your paperwork doesn't say full synthetic anywhere then I'd assume they used conventional. No additional money owed.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
If your paperwork doesn't say full synthetic anywhere then I'd assume they used conventional. No additional money owed.
Good point as per my first and second oil changes at the same Ram dealership.
First oil change states: Installed 5166240PA :OIL: 5W20 SYNTHETIC.
Second oil change states: Installed 68055890AA :OIL: - NS7
Second has no mention on invoice on type of oil, but was told by service that it was a blend. My curiosity was raised and I went on line and pulled up the attached chart. The number coincides with conventional oil. Service did not ask what oil I wanted and I did not tell them as I received synthetic previously.
Which raises an additional question as to frequency of oil changes when using conventional vs blend vs synthetic. Conventional I have changed between 3000 to 5000 and synthetic twice that. To the best of my knowledge there is no adjustment to the "oil change life" display.

Attachments

• Ram Oil chart #s.pdf
    213.5 KB · Views: 29

flynfish

Reaction score
The dealership I bought from threw in a 2 year/4 oil change package. Went to a different dealer for 1st oil change and they said the package they gave me was for $20

Had to call the dealer and get them to fix it with the $50 something per change package since $20 is ridiculous.

The $50 one doesn’t cover full synthetic so I paid an additional $15 for full synthetic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

drstein

Reaction score
Why I called. Was told that it showed where it listed the 7 qts as "Platinum".

Users who are viewing this thread