5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dealer: Front CV Axle/Diff splines severely rusted

1BADRAMLIMITED

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Alright. Update!

Dealership is replacing both axle shafts under extended warranty. They said intermediate shafts are good. Hopefully they are not rusted to a point where they can’t get it out. I assume they are not if they were able to inspect intermediate shaft.
Thanks for the update, there is hope!

Taking my truck to the dealer tomorrow morning for passenger side manifold and the cv axle noise wish me luck!!!!🍀

HookedonRam

Reaction score
Alright. Update!

Dealership is replacing both axle shafts under extended warranty. They said intermediate shafts are good. Hopefully they are not rusted to a point where they can’t get it out. I assume they are not if they were able to inspect intermediate shaft.
I am happy for you I really am. I am still fighting Ram and the dealership on mine. Here is another video from last weekend.

Wnghks701

Reaction score
I am happy for you I really am. I am still fighting Ram and the dealership on mine. Here is another video from last weekend.
I would try a different dealership. I told them that my cv axle on driver side was rattling when going over bumpy road and they took care the rest. I made multiple appointments at different locations just in case the first one say to kick rocks. Lol

I think mine was worse than yours when shaking it by hand. Especially from the diff side. But it sounded exactly the same

HookedonRam

Reaction score
GOOD LUCK, DO U HAVE AN EXT WARRANTY OR FCA WARRANTY?
Yes, I still have the powertrain, extended powertrain, and Mopar Max Care and they won't do squat and telling me to go pound sand. Ram Cares hasn't done anything and they keep telling me they have raised my concern with the dealership. They don't seem to stand behind their product and I am getting the runaround, to be honest. Ram has to approve the work and evidently, they don't want to replace it. They rather have it break on me while I am driving than replace the thing before anyone gets hurt is what I am gathering at this point. Because how much more evidence do they need to take action? if you haven't seen my previous post look at how much rust there is, I am not sure what type of coating they are using but it's useless and this is a design flaw. Fords and Chevys don't have this issue.

1BADRAMLIMITED

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes, I still have the powertrain, extended powertrain, and Mopar Max Care and they won't do squat and telling me to go pound sand. Ram Cares hasn't done anything and they keep telling me they have raised my concern with the dealership. They don't seem to stand behind their product and I am getting the runaround, to be honest. Ram has to approve the work and evidently, they don't want to replace it. They rather have it break on me while I am driving than replace the thing before anyone gets hurt is what I am gathering at this point. Because how much more evidence do they need to take action? if you haven't seen my previous post look at how much rust there is, I am not sure what type of coating they are using but it's useless and this is a design flaw. Fords and Chevys don't have this issue.
dang that sucks, hopefully there is a change in progress this week and something will be done. i have 2 local ram dealers near me and both of them are trash. i brought my truck in maybe in november for the exhasut leak and they gave me that bs "sorry we couldnt replicate it" it got worse over winter and is even more apparent.

then i had this cv axle / clanking banging noise develop

i will agree the under coating they are using is sh** ive seen WAY to many pics on this forum of rusted outundersides. i personally had the rear axle rusting and took a wire wheel and sand paper to it and applied some paint and under coating

HookedonRam

Reaction score
dang that sucks, hopefully there is a change in progress this week and something will be done. i have 2 local ram dealers near me and both of them are trash. i brought my truck in maybe in november for the exhasut leak and they gave me that bs "sorry we couldnt replicate it" it got worse over winter and is even more apparent.

then i had this cv axle / clanking banging noise develop

i will agree the under coating they are using is sh** ive seen WAY to many pics on this forum of rusted outundersides. i personally had the rear axle rusting and took a wire wheel and sand paper to it and applied some paint and under coating
Yeah, that's the new thing now "We can't replicate it" BS that's why I had an independent shop take a look at it and then I got underneath myself to take a video of it. If it's up to the dealership the truck just left the assembly line they just don't want to do any warranty work. I tell you what if it wasn't under warranty I bet you they would find all kinds of things wrong with it. From what I understand Ram doesn't pay these dealerships enough money to work on these trucks thus, they came up with this "diagnostics fee" If you have an issue with your vehicle you should be able to call your dealership and say "Hey, I have these issues with my truck. Can you tell me if they are covered or not?" these service advisors won't tell you squat upfront which is defrauding the public, IMHO. They know exactly what's covered and what is not if it's something that is not covered why not tell you upfront instead of having you bring your vehicle in leave it there for a while and have them charge you their ridiculous diagnostic fee and then tell you it's not covered? And yet during your purchase process, these dealerships are almost turning tricks to sell you all these Mopar Max Care factory-backed vehicle protection, smh.

1BADRAMLIMITED

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah, that's the new thing now "We can't replicate it" BS that's why I had an independent shop take a look at it and then I got underneath myself to take a video of it. If it's up to the dealership the truck just left the assembly line they just don't want to do any warranty work. I tell you what if it wasn't under warranty I bet you they would find all kinds of things wrong with it. From what I understand Ram doesn't pay these dealerships enough money to work on these trucks thus, they came up with this "diagnostics fee" If you have an issue with your vehicle you should be able to call your dealership and say "Hey, I have these issues with my truck. Can you tell me if they are covered or not?" these service advisors won't tell you squat upfront which is defrauding the public, IMHO. They know exactly what's covered and what is not if it's something that is not covered why not tell you upfront instead of having you bring your vehicle in leave it there for a while and have them charge you their ridiculous diagnostic fee and then tell you it's not covered? And yet during your purchase process, these dealerships are almost turning tricks to sell you all these Mopar Max Care factory-backed vehicle protection, smh.
can not agree more the market and service at dealerships suck!

i know ford also does the same diagnostic fee but they will waive that fee if you agree to the service being done by them. for example took my wife veh in for a door ajar issue and the charged me $165 but the service was $300 for parts and labor and that $165 was waived since i agreed to have the tech do the work in house

HookedonRam

Reaction score
can not agree more the market and service at dealerships suck!

i know ford also does the same diagnostic fee but they will waive that fee if you agree to the service being done by them. for example took my wife veh in for a door ajar issue and the charged me $165 but the service was $300 for parts and labor and that $165 was waived since i agreed to have the tech do the work in house
Well, what CDJR dealerships are doing is if the issue is covered under warranty then they don't charge you for the diagnostics fee. However, why can't they just tell you it won't be covered to begin with? I read horror stories about these dealerships forgetting to put oil in the engine while doing an oil change or not replacing the filter and much more. I trust these dealerships as far as I can throw them. I have been fighting Ram for almost two years now to get my truck to 100% I am out $50k cash on this truck and I've had nothing but issues and can't get Stellantis to stand behind their product to fix my issues, to say the least. I have owned Lexus and other high-end vehicles in the past and every single time I took my vehicle in for service not only did they provide me with a loaner with a full tank of gas but they made me feel like a million dollars. These trucks are expensive and when you take your truck in for service they make you feel like a second-class citizen and argue with you. I've had Ram customer service reps laugh at me on the phone, straight up hang up on me, close my case tell me good luck, and much more. I am so grateful for these forums and online support because of the treatment I have gotten from these dealerships and Ram customer care I have started wrenching because I don't trust them.

Wnghks701

Reaction score
Alright. Update 2.

Replaced cvs dealership said no play anymore but clunk is still there. Replacing sway bar links. I had suspensionmaxx links so they weren’t going to cover it under warranty but they worked with me and getting it replaced tomorrow.

1BADRAMLIMITED

Ram Guru
Reaction score
dropped the truck off today at the dealership and the guy I was working with called me 1-2 hours later stating the transmission lines were leaking and he found the driver side manifold was also bad. This is on top of the original passenger side manifold I already knew about and the cv axle on the driver side. Fingers crossed 🤞 my extended warranty covers it!

These trucks are expensive as hell and not sure the quality matches that.

HookedonRam

Reaction score
dropped the truck off today at the dealership and the guy I was working with called me 1-2 hours later stating the transmission lines were leaking and he found the driver side manifold was also bad. This is on top of the original passenger side manifold I already knew about and the cv axle on the driver side. Fingers crossed 🤞 my extended warranty covers it!

These trucks are expensive as hell and not sure the quality matches that.
Sounds like they are going to fix multiple items. Good for you! I wish the dealerships near me were just as eager to work on my truck!

1BADRAMLIMITED

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sounds like they are going to fix multiple items. Good for you! I wish the dealerships near me were just as eager to work on my truck!
This dealership I’m referring to was a PIA first time I used them. I used a different dealership in November or September and did not like the way they handled customers and communicate.

I decided to go back to the 1st dealership since they relocated and built a brand new lot in hopes they had their sh** together this time. So far I’m pleased but I’m not holding my breath.

HookedonRam

Reaction score
This dealership I’m referring to was a PIA first time I used them. I used a different dealership in November or September and did not like the way they handled customers and communicate.

I decided to go back to the 1st dealership since they relocated and built a brand new lot in hopes they had their sh** together this time. So far I’m pleased but I’m not holding my breath.
Isn't it crazy how most of us dread going to these CDJR dealerships? You'd think they'd be happy to have customers bring their truck in for revenue but all I have been getting so far is pushback from the dealerships and Ram.

HookedonRam

Reaction score
Yea the guy said he took pictures and video to submit to warranty company I’m going to ask him to send them to me tomorrow as well
My dealership had my truck for 10 days and today I sent them an email with the video link this is my service advisor's response to me "
We are not able to diagnose a vehicle based on a video he can hear it but when you truck was here and we drove with you the truck was not making noises.

If the axle was bad the noise would be present all the time since is a mechanical part it wont come and go.

We can test drive with you again and see if you are able to demonstrate the noise to the tech."

So, their Ram certified SAE mechanic couldn't bother putting the truck up and checking for the clunking noise like any other shop? And they want me to drive it with their shop guy again to try and replicate the sound where EVERYONE can clearly see it in the video?

Wnghks701

Reaction score
My dealership had my truck for 10 days and today I sent them an email with the video link this is my service advisor's response to me "
We are not able to diagnose a vehicle based on a video he can hear it but when you truck was here and we drove with you the truck was not making noises.

If the axle was bad the noise would be present all the time since is a mechanical part it wont come and go.

We can test drive with you again and see if you are able to demonstrate the noise to the tech."

So, their Ram certified SAE mechanic couldn't bother putting the truck up and checking for the clunking noise like any other shop? And they want me to drive it with their shop guy again to try and replicate the sound where EVERYONE can clearly see it in the video?
I think your best bet is to test drive with the tech. Roll those windows down so they can hear it

Users who are viewing this thread