5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dealer fixed my whistling noise

doolin64

Reaction score
So I went to the dealer with a Star Publication in hand for my whistling noise. Basically, any time you had a window cracked or the sunroof open you'd hear a whistle. Didn't matter if the HVAC was on, off, or recirculate. I thought it was coming from the top of my the passenger side a-pillar. I was way off.

Dealer called me and said it was under my passenger back seat. Which I figured was the TSB for the rear vents. Nope. They sent a video to me. It was coming from the passenger floor under my seat. There was an unused threaded mounting point in the rear of the cab. I guess there's 6 total and the rear seat tracks uses three of them. 2 of the unused holes had a factory applied sealed tape over them. 1 unused hole had nothing. They filled it with a silicone, applied a tape over it and put everything back together. Much to my chagrin...it solved the issue. No more noise and my truck is as quiet as can be.

Figured I'd post it up in case anyone is having a similar issue.

wvinson

Reaction score
Thank you -- thank you doolin64 -- my dealer has tried 3 or 4 things being replaced with no solution. I hope this is my problem as well. Thanks again for posting!

Richluck

Reaction score
Here's a screen shot I grabbed off the video they sent me.
View attachment 84297
Thanks for posting this info. Do you know if they had to remove the carpet completely to get to the holes or is it something where you just pull it back next to the rear seats? I think I might have this problem but mine is when the recirculation is on I get a slight whistle and it disappears when you turn it off and I do get what it seems to be an excessive amount of wind noise. It sounds like to me that it's coming for the passenger side near the pillar area as well.

doolin64

Reaction score
They had to remove my rear seat. They didn't have the remove the carpet. They could peel it back to do what they needed to do.

Richluck

Reaction score
Yeah I am not taking the back seat out but I think my noise is coming from the pillar molding on the outside of the passenger door which is slightly tweaked up from the factory. Air rushes under it causing the slight whistle I get in certain conditions. I put some black grollia tape over it and went for drive over 75 and the noise was gone and excessive wind noise. It's also very windy where I live in the afternoon so it was a good test. Dealer had already ordered that part from my last visit. OF course the Tech who road with me claimed he couldn't hear it but admitted that part could cause the noise. I might just use epoxy and a clamp to glue it down rather than going back to that dealer. They scratched up the bottom spoiler in the front and I didn't notice it until a week later so now I have zero recourse to get it fixed or replaced. The driveway into that dealership is amazingly really steep. Heard multiple cars scrape it going in. Really dumb design for a brand new dealership.

gwatt86

Reaction score
Yeah I am not taking the back seat out but I think my noise is coming from the pillar molding on the outside of the passenger door which is slightly tweaked up from the factory. Air rushes under it causing the slight whistle I get in certain conditions. I put some black grollia tape over it and went for drive over 75 and the noise was gone and excessive wind noise. It's also very windy where I live in the afternoon so it was a good test. Dealer had already ordered that part from my last visit. OF course the Tech who road with me claimed he couldn't hear it but admitted that part could cause the noise. I might just use epoxy and a clamp to glue it down rather than going back to that dealer. They scratched up the bottom spoiler in the front and I didn't notice it until a week later so now I have zero recourse to get it fixed or replaced. The driveway into that dealership is amazingly really steep. Heard multiple cars scrape it going in. Really dumb design for a brand new dealership.
Do you have a pic of where exactly you put the tape? I have the same thing. I live in the Panhandle of Texas where the wind never stops so I’d like to try this. Thanks!

Luiyoski

Reaction score
THEY FIX THE WIND NOICE in my case it was a small gap between two metal frame sheet behind the dash in the driver side. It took 3 visit to the service department and the 3rd one was after calling Ram costumer service. They sealed and no more noice… before I love my Ram 90% now 100% 2021 Big Horn

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread