5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dealer destroyed my head

Mike458

Reaction score
I’ve been dealing with a broken exhaust manifold bolt and finally decided to get it fixed. I had this repair done about two years ago and it was “repaired” under warranty. Took my truck to my trusted mechanic the other day. After they started working on it I get a phone call telling me something is wrong and I need to come look at my truck. When taking off the exhaust manifold they removed a bolt and coolant started coming out of the hole. It was the front bolt hole passenger side.
Before I took it to get repaired I visually inspected and found the rear exhaust manifold bolt on the passenger side was indeed broke.
The last time my truck was in a shop was when the dealer “repaired” this side to fix two broken exhaust manifold bolts under warranty. They were the last to take this manifold off. They must have drilled a bolt out too far and drilled into the water jacket of the head then put sealant around the bolt to cover it up! The bolt removed by my mechanic had sealant on it. Now I need to replace my head.
As you can imagine, the dealer claims they would not have done that and are not willing to assist paying for any of the parts or labor.
Due to Dodge’s design flaw on breaking exhaust manifold bolts and dealer’s service shop destroying my head and covering up I am looking at a $2,700 repair bill.
What’s even more aggravating is that when talking with the service manager and 2 of the mechanics they have admitted to drilling into the water jacket multiple times on these repairs, but have claimed to never tried to cover it up. IMG_4199.jpeg IMG_4203.jpeg

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I guess I would just put it back together with sealant on the bolt. It used to be common thing in heads to be factory cast with open bolt holes into water jackets. The 1966 poly 318 in my D100 is that way. Being like that doesn't mean the head is "destroyed" and I personally see no reason to replace an otherwise good head for something that can simply be addressed with some sealant.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I guess I would just put it back together with sealant on the bolt. It used to be common thing in heads to be factory cast with open bolt holes into water jackets. The 1966 poly 318 in my D100 is that way. Being like that doesn't mean the head is "destroyed" and I personally see no reason to replace an otherwise good head for something that can simply be addressed with some sealant.
I agree. Have them put it back like they found it, and everything will be fine. Your dealer said they don’t usually hide the fact that they drill into it. But when they do, how do they address it? By putting in a sealed bolt, I bet.

Av1

Reaction score
This ^^^

There is no way I would replace a head because of that, assuming no other problems.

Seal it and move on. You should be ok.

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
It was normal to need sealant on exhaust manifold bolt back in the day. Like others said, this isn't a big deal, apply some sealant to the bolt and move on. That's also one of the reasons I use studs if I can on exhaust ports

Mike458

Reaction score
Other than being pissed that this happened and was covered up, it worries me that I might have a problem with it down the road having a coolant leak. If it was a 10 year old truck with 150k miles on it, that would be one thing, but it’s a 4 year old truck.

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Other than being pissed that this happened and was covered up, it worries me that I might have a problem with it down the road having a coolant leak. If it was a 10 year old truck with 150k miles on it, that would be one thing, but it’s a 4 year old truck.
No way I'd want them to do major surgery (replace a head) on my 4 year old engine when some sealant on a bolt (perfectly normal) would fix it...

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If you do end up with a leak, it would be because the current shop doing the work, is incompetent.

barrak

Reaction score
Very informative and reassuring responses above... Thank you all.

It seems these studs, even when undamaged, can be too brittle and fused to the head when cold and need to be to torch heated and impacted, not just soak them with a penetrate.

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

You shouldn't develop a coolant leak from that down the road unless the current shop doesn't re-apply sealant. Its a non issue

Av1

Reaction score

I understand your concern, but it really is nothing to be worried about as long as it's sealed upon reassembly.

There are many items on engines that are sealed with sealant, and you never give it a passing thought.

Mike458

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I had them put sealant on the bolt and fingers crossed. Also replaced the manifold so we’ll see how long the bolts last before breaking.

KMach

Reaction score
I would be upset if this were my truck. It’s too bad that the dealer isn’t standing by this. But it is worth mentioning incase nobody knows, that particular bolt passenger side front most is actually 3/16ths shorter than the rest. I’d be curious if they jammed any of the longer bolts in there first not knowing any better.

But it happens, I drilled thru a head doing manifolds on a 6.0chevy bus once. Silicone and a new bolt and it was never an issue.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I would be upset if this were my truck. It’s too bad that the dealer isn’t standing by this. But it is worth mentioning incase nobody knows, that particular bolt passenger side front most is actually 3/16ths shorter than the rest. I’d be curious if they jammed any of the longer bolts in there first not knowing any better.

But it happens, I drilled thru a head doing manifolds on a 6.0chevy bus once. Silicone and a new bolt and it was never an issue.
Not sure what you want the dealer to do. Accepted practice is to just use sealant on the bolt. It's probably even in the maintenance manual for that repair

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'll just point out that the freeze plugs have sealant on them and are simply pressed into the side of the block...

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The new bolts from Ram have sealant/loctite on them. I have replaced more manifolds that I can count. I have never had a RH front bolt break off. I haven't drilled on a manifold bolt in over 10 years, welder is the easiest, fastest way.

hellmans

Reaction score
last repair they used the wrong bolts ...to long the new manifolds with rail use longer bolts old ones don't ..whoopsey..check invoice for correct part numbers...or they might of charged out correct ones..but gave tech wrong ones...their fault

Users who are viewing this thread