5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dealer Damage

Rsqswmr69

Reaction score
So this has never happened to me before and looking for some advice. Took my 2021 Ram 1500 limited to the Dealer Service Center to have two recalls done on it. Got a call from them telling me that the car wash guy wrecked my front end when he "got distracted" or "panicked" and rear-ended another owner's Ram 3500. They explained the situation that evening when we met showed me the Truck and the CCTV Video. They are taking full responsibility of the incident and are getting it repaired. However, I explained I am more concerned about the resale issue I am gonna have and what they plan to do to make me whole on this deal. They are offering to put me into 2022, however, I am feeling that they are trying to get me to pay a hefty difference. In my view, I should not have to pay a dime out of my pocket if they want to go this route. I purchased my 2021 Ram Limited in Dec 2020 and a 2022 Ram Limited today is at least 10grand more. Not my issue. In my view, the dealer needs to be prepared to take the loss in this situation. What do you all think?

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
So this has never happened to me before and looking for some advice. Took my 2021 Ram 1500 limited to the Dealer Service Center to have two recalls done on it. Got a call from them telling me that the car wash guy wrecked my front end when he "got distracted" or "panicked" and rear-ended another owner's Ram 3500. They explained the situation that evening when we met showed me the Truck and the CCTV Video. They are taking full responsibility of the incident and are getting it repaired. However, I explained I am more concerned about the resale issue I am gonna have and what they plan to do to make me whole on this deal. They are offering to put me into 2022, however, I am feeling that they are trying to get me to pay a hefty difference. In my view, I should not have to pay a dime out of my pocket if they want to go this route. I purchased my 2021 Ram Limited in Dec 2020 and a 2022 Ram Limited today is at least 10grand more. Not my issue. In my view, the dealer needs to be prepared to take the loss in this situation. What do you all think?
probably best to check with an attorney for your state

RC Turner

Reaction score
Depending on the amount of damage, the repair should not require significant if any structural repair. All damaged parts should be replaced with factory parts and no straightened sheet metal. The net effect should be a like new truck with little to no reduction in value.

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
In addition to this, you could ask the dealer if they are going to report the incident (they’re not always obligated to- it just depends on the situation). If not, then it won't effect trade-in values.
lots of time these days dealers are connect to carfax.
I haven't had nothing done but delivery and the ceramic at another place and every month I keep getting a carfax report.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Have you asked them what they expect you to pay for the 22?

Rsqswmr69

Reaction score
I attached the damage photos and also A claim has already been filed by the dealer's Ins. There is also a video That I can't seem to upload.

Attachments

• IMG_3584_LI.jpg
    IMG_3584_LI.jpg
    266.4 KB · Views: 282
  • IMG_3585.JPEG
    IMG_3585.JPEG
    168.3 KB · Views: 283
  • IMG_3586_LI.jpg
    IMG_3586_LI.jpg
    273.2 KB · Views: 281
  • IMG_3588.JPEG
    IMG_3588.JPEG
    131.6 KB · Views: 279
  • IMG_3589.JPEG
    IMG_3589.JPEG
    122.2 KB · Views: 281

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Depending on the amount of damage, the repair should not require significant if any structural repair. All damaged parts should be replaced with factory parts and no straightened sheet metal. The net effect should be a like new truck with little to no reduction in value.

In reality yes, but in the world of Carfax and incident reports no. When I see an accident reported on a potential vehicle I am buying, I am automatically discounting what I should pay for it.

The resale of his vehicle has been harmed due to this incident, that being said, I'm not sure if there is an actual legal remedy beyond the proper repair of a vehicle that any party would have to do in a typical auto accident. Though depending on his state, he may have a case for depreciated value.

As for what the dealership is offering him, they should offer him the value of his vehicle (prior to the damage) towards a new vehicle. That should make him whole. Maybe a bit extra for the aggravation they have given him in dealing with this.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
That's a lot of damage. No way would I take that truck back, repaired or not.

I agree, pretty much all the body work from the A-pillar forward has been damaged. It's never going to look quite the same again, if it was 4-5 years old, I wouldn't care, but it's pretty new, he shouldn't have to deal with a repaired truck at this point.

Maryland bowhunter

Reaction score
When you meet with the dealer you should ask to have an "Independent" appraiser who can see if there is any structural damage as a result of the accident. They may not be as biased as the dealer is in glossing over some quick fixes. They would provide an honest assessment of the actual damage. I often heard that even when fixed back to brand new there always seems to be something that just isn't right or maybe develops into an issue a little later on. Maybe ask for some kind of serious extended warranty program so you are protected. This would give you some peace of mind if you do decide to move forward with all the repairs. At a minimum they should get you a loaner vehicle while your truck is unavailable to you. Good luck....

Maryland bowhunter

Reaction score
I attached the damage photos and also A claim has already been filed by the dealer's Ins. There is also a video That I can't seem to upload.
What town was your dealer in????, I will be sure to stay clear of that location...

Nova90

Reaction score
Sorry to hear about this....I definitely would get a qualified opinion on the damage. There looks to be a lot of structural damage to the entire front clip all the way to the doors. How heavy was the car wash guy on the gas in the video? It looks like he hit something with pretty good force and forward momentum. Hopefully, you can get it worked out.

cevans6318

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This is no different than you getting into an accident on the road. You Can't expect insurance to give you a new car every time you get into an accident just cause you are worried about resale value. I work at the dealer, this happens. It's called an accident. I think your dealer is hell of nice to offer you into a new truck. Most dealers would just repair the damage and give you back the truck. Your best bet is to talk with them regarding price if they offer you into a new truck. Asking them to eat it may not be an option but maybe they can give you a nice discount. If I were you I’d be more worried about the dealers Body Shop repairing it. You should be able to choose what body shop you want to fix it.

Last edited:

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm a MA state lic damage appraiser and i can tell you one thing by the looks of where your hood landed...you DO have structural damage on that rig. The radiator support is most likely junk. Not to mention the amount of repaint that will be needed. You will be miserable driving that thing after they repair it. If I had to do a rough estimate based on those pics I would say it's going to be a $5000-$6500 repair. When these things get hit hard a lot of times the headlamp mount-tabs get cracked which means new lamps...your looking at $2000 just for those. Take the 2022 and tell him you want a pre-pandemic deal,( maybe 3% below sticker). Good luck sir.

eye exaggerate

Reaction score
In 6 months or so there’ll be a new Ram owner here happy with his / her new limited. A little while later a post will come up wondering if the truck had been in an accident because issues started pop up. I’d hope for a report to be done on it so that the next owner is aware.

Users who are viewing this thread