5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dealer Charging for Software and TSB Updates

zignice

Reaction score
This is news to me. Just dropped off for annual service and asked for software updates and to take care of any service bulletins. The service manager said that updates are available, but unless I have a specific issue to take care of under warranty, they would have to charge me $170 for the available updates. Does this sound right?

Moparian

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Find another dealer, software updates and TSB's are supposed to be done free of charge. I've never had a dealer charge me for either, honestly I would contact Ram corporate and report that dealer.

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
TSB should be covered if still under warranty and they diagnose it

Pretty sure that general software updates aren’t covered

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah if it's a TSB and your VIN is covered and you're under warranty, it's a free fix.

If it's a TSB and you aren't under warranty, it's a charged fix.

If it's a general software update, and you're under warranty, then you'll need to describe a specific problem so they can do the fix and claim it for warranty reimbursement.

If it's a general software update and you're not under warranty those are charged fixes always.

RECALLS are the only things that are free fixes regardless of mileage or warranty.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Unless you have an issue that the software update might fix then it's not covered as others have said. As WXman said, the dealership doesn't get paid from Stellantis unless there's an issue that can be considered a manufacturing defect (e.g. cracked rear window) or production issue (e.g. misaligned body panels). Software could fall into either depending on the issue.

If your truck is working fine but you want a software update then you'll have to shell out cash for that. The update might improve things, might not make a difference, or create issues that weren't there before.

I wanted any software update the first few times I took my truck in as this is my first new vehicle and my first one with this much technology so wanted to keep everything "up-to-date" (like Windows on my laptop). I was frustrated when the dealership would only do software updates for systems with issues. When they explained to me that I would be happier with the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" approach I shrugged my shoulders and accepted it.

Fast forward 2 years of ownership later and now I understand what they were saying. In the beginning I wanted everything and I wanted it now but I'm to the point where if it's working well I'm leaving well enough alone.

I did receive a coupon recently for software updates to keep my truck running at its best with the most recent software so there's some conflicting information there. I look at it like this - I'm 90% happy with my transmission shifting (off-idle lag is a little annoying) and if I pay for a software update is that going to help the 10% I don't like or hurt the 90% I do like? Odds are that I'll spend the money and nothing will feel different or I'll find something else to not like.

zignice

Reaction score
In the past, all I had to do is tell this same dealer to ensure everything was up-to-date and take care of all TSBs.
All good info. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/