5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dealer can’t solve!!

WildWildWest

Reaction score
2020 Ram Laramie 1500 5.7
53k miles

My truck has been in the shop for over a month with an electrical issue. The speedometer and the screen intermittently light up until the battery is completely dead.

BCM has been replaced. The truck is completely torn apart, front end, dash, door panels, etc. They found if the module underneath the passenger seat is unplugged, the issue goes away. They replaced that harness and module, problem still persists.

Tech says they are back and forth with the corporate engineers.

I explain to the tech today that it’s getting hard to be with one vehicle. He says” well, have you considered trading it in?”

I am so tired of being in this “just get rid of it” situation or being at the dealers mercy because “moms and pops” can’t do the programming etc. So is this where we really are? Force me into a new truck and let the financial problem be mine?

Truck is close to being paid off and has a 2.49% interest rate. I also only paid $48,500 For the truck. Not going to find that now!

Shouldn’t there be an incentive for admitting you can’t fix the truck and we need to get you in a new one?

Hoping Ram Cares chimes in..

Thank you for reading my rant, anyone have any wisdom or thoughts to share?

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
being at the dealers mercy because “moms and pops” can’t do the programming etc.

Depending where you are, there are plenty of independent shops that can diag and program modules, there are even many mobile techs that can it.

This isn't really that hard to diag, if it does it all the time. Usually a module or the bus is staying awake for some reason.

WildWildWest

Reaction score
Depending where you are, there are plenty of independent shops that can diag and program modules, there are even many mobile techs that can it.

This isn't really that hard to diag, if it does it all the time. Usually a module or the bus is staying awake for some reason.
Appreciate your feedback, I have been to 3 dealers in 3 counties and one independent. The independent pushed me back to the dealer because their programming guys don’t like messing with rams.

Each time 5-8 days are wasted trying to get a dealer to own it and try to solve it. This dealer is the first one to not just push me straight off.

First dealer said they won’t touch it because it has custom parts on it. Took them 6 days to tell me this.

Second dealer told me they won’t diag any further until I put the factory equipped mirrors back on the truck. Even though the OEM tow mirrors have been on the truck for over a year and a half, clearly not the issue. Took them 8 days to tell me this.

Crazy how these Chrysler folks don’t want to own the responsibility of fixing their product.

Majortom

Reaction score
I’m certainly in no position of knowledge but I’m left wondering if the hardware hasn’t proven to be the problem (yet?), have they looked at it as a software issue? Kinda like the old days of erasing a computer hard drive and reinstalling the software to get ride of bugs.

WildWildWest

Reaction score
I’m certainly in no position of knowledge but I’m left wondering if the hardware hasn’t proven to be the problem (yet?), have they looked at it as a software issue? Kinda like the old days of erasing a computer hard drive and reinstalling the software to get ride of bugs.
They performed all updates the system called for which was severely behind. Took the 3rd dealer to even start here lol.

Unfortunately did not fix.

I would imagine the replacing of the BCM did more so what you are describing. Since the new BCM has to be programmed to the truck with all options etc.

Users who are viewing this thread