5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dealer and Chrysler refusing to Repair damage from dealer lot

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I would find this VERY hard to believe. If this did happen, a competent and prepared plaintiff would wipe the floor with a lot jockey.
again...if the plaintiff has NO PROOF the dealer caused the damage, how exactly would he "wipe the floor" with the defendant...come on...really? He-has-no-proof...

rourky80

Reaction score
These guys are the largest upstate NY RAM dealer and in the Albany area. I've always had good luck with their service dept. My first purchase (a used 2012 Liberty in 2014) the service dept notified me that the rear brakes were going to need to be fixed even though they felt fine to me and had plenty of pad life. Something with the e brake. No charge. When the e brake pad separated and locked the rear axle they towed it from my house, no charge and a rental grand Cherokee for week. When my 4th gen 2017 RAM kept freezing and breaking the retaining clips in the bottom of the window they fixed it no questions. That happened 3 times. It was a terrible design. I had to open my driver window twice a day to badge in and out of work so I had to use the frozen window.

It's pure management issues. I think even the sales guy I dealt with was a little stumped.
That sounds exactly like my dealer... (a weapons and munitions holder... if you know the Albany cdjr dealers) The ones who actually fixed my tailgate for me when I returned to the lot half hour later (post#24), had no trouble or any questions and completed the repair as soon as they could.....

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I noticed a ding on my roof line a week after purchase, called my salesman, he had me scheduled the following week for PDR at no cost. I told him I was little surprised that they were going to cover it after being off lot for a week. He told me that their view was that it’s not worth losing a Potential future sale over a $50 fix.

jth877

Reaction score
That sounds exactly like my dealer... (a weapons and munitions holder... if you know the Albany cdjr dealers) The ones who actually fixed my tailgate for me when I returned to the lot half hour later (post#24), had no trouble or any questions and completed the repair as soon as they could.....
This dealer is down the road and rhymes with "Pia".

rourky80

Reaction score
This dealer is down the road and rhymes with "Pia".
Ahhhh.... I see your problem, the one up the road, with the brand new building have been great! Not going to help you now though. Pity they wouldn't do anything for you. I actually found a better selection and service at Armory, and have used them for years now.

jth877

Reaction score
Ahhhh.... I see your problem, the one up the road, with the brand new building have been great! Not going to help you now though. Pity they wouldn't do anything for you. I actually found a better selection and service at Armory, and have used them for years now.
I actually went to armory after I med the initial deal at Pia because they had a delmonico red truck that I would rather have but couldn't match Pia's price. I should have paid the bit extra.

rourky80

Reaction score
I actually went to armory after I med the initial deal at Pia because they had a delmonico red truck that I would rather have but couldn't match Pia's price. I should have paid the bit extra.
Mines a lease, and for what I wanted, Pia couldn't get close to Armory! How strange. This was in July.

jth877

Reaction score
Mines a lease, and for what I wanted, Pia couldn't get close to Armory! How strange. This was in July.
Mine is a lease as well. Armory was $41/mo higher. This was early Sept. I should have gone Armory!

jth877

Reaction score
I hit all the online reviews. Dealer manager wrote some nasty reply stating that he was trying to help me out free of charge and FCA believed him over my story. Also that the scratch, dent and chip could have been a rock that got kicked up on my way home. Really? How could a rock come back and hit the tailgate? Wow.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I hit all the online reviews. Dealer manager wrote some nasty reply stating that he was trying to help me out free of charge and FCA believed him over my story. Also that the scratch, dent and chip could have been a rock that got kicked up on my way home. Really? How could a rock come back and hit the tailgate? Wow.
I can't explain how it happens, but I get rock chips in the paint on my tailgate in winter, which I notice when washing my truck for the first time each spring. The only way I can think of that happening is when I'm passed on the highway by others driving faster than me. And they are kicking up rocks as they go by. Can't say that's how yours happened, just saying it's possible.

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I can't explain how it happens, but I get rock chips in the paint on my tailgate in winter, which I notice when washing my truck for the first time each spring. The only way I can think of that happening is when I'm passed on the highway by others driving faster than me. And they are kicking up rocks as they go by. Can't say that's how yours happened, just saying it's possible.
I was going to say something similar. I have occasionally seen scratches on my tailgate that are totally unexplained. They either come from me or from other cars.

For the OP, it seems short sighted to me to not take the PDR and touch up offer. Dealers have guys that come in and do this kind of touch up on vehicles for sale all the time - they're usually pretty good at what they do. I dented my rear passenger door tossing something in the dumpster. I was certain this was going to be difficult to fix. Dealerships set me up with the PDR guy they use (I had to pay myself, of course) and I was amazed at the job this guy did. He didn't even take the door panel off - he fixed it right through the window opening. When he was done I had no idea where the ding had even been and cannot find the spot to this day.

79 300

Reaction score
I would take a PDR repair with a tiny spot of touch-up paint any day over a resprayed panel that will cause a whole new set of problems and complaints.
Keep the factory finish whenever possible.

Raydar

Reaction score
It really amazes me.
I am on the side of the buyer but, legally, I believe the dealer doesn't have to do squat.
With that said, I can't imagine that the dealer wouldn't want to pay for a $2-300 repair (probably their cost, maximum) in order to keep in the good graces of a long time customer.
- But I'm also not a bit surprised. I have found CDJR dealers to be the biggest bunch of knuckle-dragging cretins that I have ever met.

I'm hoping that they'll fix your truck, in order to avoid any adverse publicity. If not, I hope you flame them to a fare-thee-well, on every social media outlet available.

jth877

Reaction score
It really amazes me.
I am on the side of the buyer but, legally, I believe the dealer doesn't have to do squat.
With that said, I can't imagine that the dealer wouldn't want to pay for a $2-300 repair (probably their cost, maximum) in order to keep in the good graces of a long time customer.
- But I'm also not a bit surprised. I have found CDJR dealers to be the biggest bunch of knuckle-dragging cretins that I have ever met.

I'm hoping that they'll fix your truck, in order to avoid any adverse publicity. If not, I hope you flame them to a fare-thee-well, on every social media outlet available.

You are 100% correct and I 100% did everything in that order. They posted replies to my negative reviews and basically called me a liar saying I showed up with the problem a week after taking delivery. I'm sure this is what they told FCA. I have pictures and emails with time stamps that say otherwise. Whatever. They did remove the little dent and I polished the clearcoat scratches. The only thing left is a little 2mm-3mm chip that I will eventually fill/sand/polish. I think the other poster saying that I keeping the original paint vs a respray is probably a good idea. The less the dealer touches it the better.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
It really amazes me.

I'm new to RAM and absolutely love my truck. But after checking out the 4 local FCA dealers in my city, I couldn't believe how low their reviews are. So many negative customer reviews from customers regarding their service departments. What's interesting is they usually got high marks for sales. Checking out nationally, apparently Jeep, RAM, Dodge and Chrysler dealerships are literally at the very bottom of national ownership surveys, only Range Rover was below them.

From what I read, CDJR dealers weren't ready for all the recent sales they have had and are essentially slammed, not able to service owners to a higher level. I suspected as much when I came in for a slightly early oil change. I never met a service advisor that actually tried to avoid new business.

This is the primary reason why I do my own oil changes on my RAM, I don't feel my truck would get treated well in that environment. I may have to eventually go if I get an actual warranty issue, but hoping that I can dodge that during my ownership.

Users who are viewing this thread