5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dead truck after battery drain and 3 weeks at dealer

Purduegranite

Reaction score
Truck initially was dead / low voltage late July. Checked and there was a draw on the system even after letting it sit. 1.6A. Had it towed to dealer, they diagnosed it saying they had to pull 2 fuses to get the draw to stop. Those fuses coordinated to the dash cluster. They ordered a new cluster and cloned it. (was told this would take a week, it took 2). Now 1 week later from getting it back, I go out this evening to take my son to baseball and truck is dead. Needless to say I'm pretty frustrated and mad about this given I just paid for a "fix" and spent nearly 1800 on it. Also note, battery was replaced initially but later determined that was not the issue as letting the truck sit 24 hours results in voltage too low to start the vehicle.

Have already reached out to service writer (well after close) and will call in the morning. Anybody have any luck with Ramcares helping resolve an issue like this where a repair was made but didn't fix it?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Truck initially was dead / low voltage late July. Checked and there was a draw on the system even after letting it sit. 1.6A. Had it towed to dealer, they diagnosed it saying they had to pull 2 fuses to get the draw to stop. Those fuses coordinated to the dash cluster. They ordered a new cluster and cloned it. (was told this would take a week, it took 2). Now 1 week later from getting it back, I go out this evening to take my son to baseball and truck is dead. Needless to say I'm pretty frustrated and mad about this given I just paid for a "fix" and spent nearly 1800 on it. Also note, battery was replaced initially but later determined that was not the issue as letting the truck sit 24 hours results in voltage too low to start the vehicle.

Have already reached out to service writer (well after close) and will call in the morning. Anybody have any luck with Ramcares helping resolve an issue like this where a repair was made but didn't fix it?
Well, if you paid for a repair, and it's still having the issues you shouldn't have to pay for further work

Purduegranite

Reaction score
Truck is back at dealer, they still don't know the issue but acknowledged it is an issue. Better yet, no rental or loaner available so we have been living with 0 or at best 1 car for 4 weeks.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Truck is back at dealer, they still don't know the issue but acknowledged it is an issue. Better yet, no rental or loaner available so we have been living with 0 or at best 1 car for 4 weeks.
Get rental on your own and should get reimbursed by RAM. If you are still under factory warranty

Purduegranite

Reaction score
Factory warranty is up. It's electrical so odds are I was out of warranty in 2022, and out of powertrain 400 miles before it went it. I'm sitting at 61k right now

foko

Reaction score
Have a similar issue. First diagnosis was a "radio" module and the AC inverter creating out of spec drain (totaling 1amp). They fixed those things (took well over a month.... just replaced stuff) . That was 3 months ago. This week battery again dying after sitting a week. I measured resting draw at 5 amps!! I'm gonna start pulling fuses myself, since first dealer appointment is weeks away. I'm under impressed with the quality of this truck and the service experience has been very shoddy as well. Going back Japanese again next time.

Purduegranite

Reaction score
Have the truck back. It went into dealer, they claim it was the speed calibrator (inline) (confirmed it has no power draw) but still an issue. They also blamed the dash cam that was plugged into the USB below the radio (note those should turn off after an hour, confirmed with video that it around an hour). So $400 later they unplugged a dashcam, that was there the first visit, and a speed calibrator, that they would have seen when they replaced the dash cluster for 1600 3 weeks ago. But it's my fault, because.....Ramcares response to be clear was "please take it to a second dealer for additional diagnosis and second opinion". Unreal that this is what it has come to.

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Make sure this ground connection is clean! and tight.
I was experiencing 3.5 to 8 amps parasitic draw with a new battery, went away after cleaning it (the connection)

Attachments

• Fender ground..jpg
    Fender ground..jpg
    125 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread