5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dead battery

Taklein65

Reaction score
Went to start truck last night to go to work battery was dead was fine yesterday coming home from work no issues. Got home this morning put charger on now just waiting 2021 Ram 1500 laramie sport 6259 miles.

cervelo15

Reaction score
Yep, there are multiple threads around about this and I think the general consensus is the quality of battery they put in OEM is junk for all the technology to run in the truck. I'm getting this battery not only to upgrade, but for peace of mind. Some others have upgraded to it and it seemed to fix the issues:

You dont have an Etorque do you?

Lungs414

Reaction score
Yep, there are multiple threads around about this and I think the general consensus is the quality of battery they put in OEM is junk for all the technology to run in the truck. I'm getting this battery not only to upgrade, but for peace of mind. Some others have upgraded to it and it seemed to fix the issues:

You dont have an Etorque do you?
I may upgrade as well. I have Etorque, is there a reason you asked?
Thanks

cervelo15

Reaction score
Thanks
I have an eTorque as well and was trying to see if there was a link between the bad battery and the eTorque system. What made me think this is watching my battery voltage gauge go all over the place, from 14v down to 12.6v. And sometimes it would happen at full throttle on the highway. SOme of the threads suggested a draw from the air suspension too, which I do not have.

Through some explanations in these threads, it sounds like the 48v eTorque battery is responsible for auto start/stop, assistance with shifting and recouping energy from deceleration. It also charges the 12v battery. The 12v battery is responsible for starting the truck from off and running some accessories. I had some suspicions about the eTorque, but feel better about it.

In comparison, I had an '18 Laramie with the analog voltmeter in the dash and no matter what i had plugged in, that needle stayed dead center middle all the time. This is why I've been so suspect, since I have never seen a voltmeter needle jump so much in my life. Take in to considerration, I think analog gauges only show large fluctuations, so that might not have meant anything in my previous Laramie.

The hope here is that I have heard others had the 12v battery replaced and it seems to have resolved the issues they were having. I figure peace of mind vs being stranded hours away from home. It's been suggested it was Ram's way of cutting a corner by putting in the size battery they did.

Lungs414

Reaction score
I have an eTorque as well and was trying to see if there was a link between the bad battery and the eTorque system. What made me think this is watching my battery voltage gauge go all over the place, from 14v down to 12.6v. And sometimes it would happen at full throttle on the highway. SOme of the threads suggested a draw from the air suspension too, which I do not have.

Through some explanations in these threads, it sounds like the 48v eTorque battery is responsible for auto start/stop, assistance with shifting and recouping energy from deceleration. It also charges the 12v battery. The 12v battery is responsible for starting the truck from off and running some accessories. I had some suspicions about the eTorque, but feel better about it.

In comparison, I had an '18 Laramie with the analog voltmeter in the dash and no matter what i had plugged in, that needle stayed dead center middle all the time. This is why I've been so suspect, since I have never seen a voltmeter needle jump so much in my life. Take in to considerration, I think analog gauges only show large fluctuations, so that might not have meant anything in my previous Laramie.

The hope here is that I have heard others had the 12v battery replaced and it seems to have resolved the issues they were having. I figure peace of mind vs being stranded hours away from home. It's been suggested it was Ram's way of cutting a corner by putting in the size battery they did.
Thanks for the informative reply. I have a '20 Laramie, and have had no mechanical issues with my truck. The only issue was a new steering wheel, the first one peeled very bad and it took about 5 months for the new one to arrive. I never look at the gauges, ignorance is bliss for me. I do have a small portable jumper I bought at costco , and leave it in the truck. It is more for my 2 Waverunners, but good insurance if I need it. I always say the best warranty I the one I never use, and I hope my truck has the best one.
Thanks again for the info.

Desert Dawg

Reaction score
Went through the exact same thing about a month ago. Posted a thread on this too. Left me stranded in a mountain town in Colorado right before I took off for my off-road trip over Engineer Pass. No issues or indications the night before, but the following morning the battery was totally dead. Even tried a jump start from a car and it didn't work so had to call roadside service; they showed up with a more powerful battery pack and the jump worked. Purchased a replacement battery after making a +90 mile round trip to a the nearest bigger town with an auto store and carried the new battery with me until I made it back home.

Took the truck to the dealer and they said the battery was fine. They performed a scan and no codes were thrown. Also have not had the issue repeat itself since but I carry a battery pack around with me everywhere I go as simply cannot rely on the factory battery.

This is what I have for now until ready to buy a better battery:

Never found a reason after searching for hours online either other than it is a not an uncommon problem yet dealers don't seem to know much about it.

Taklein65

Reaction score
Thanks
No etorque. Took to dealer Friday dropped it off they had it for 5days. Thursday morning picked it up said they charged battery for 3 hours passed all test took it to work Thursday came Friday morning parked till Sunday after noon dead again.

FastBlackRam

Reaction score
I got tired of my OEM battery issues. Slow cranking after leaving sit for 5 or 6 days. Dead one morning for no apparent reason (charged and ok after that).

I was getting ready for an extended trip so I bought an Interstate 94R AGM battery from an Interstate distribution warehouse in Sanford FL. I think it was around $220. It performs like a charm. Comes with 3 year replacement warranty. No warranty after that. I am good knowing my battery is now dependable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/