5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dead Battery

BEN6901

Reaction score
I have a 2019 Ram Rebel. Took the wife to a appointment. Waited in car Maybe 20 minutes with the aux on. Tried to start and stone dead. Jumped battery. Dealership said battery strong and couldn’t find anything wrong. I’m headed on vacation and I’m buying a jump box to take with me. ANYONE HAVE ANY CLUE WITH THE BLANK HAPPENED!?

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a 2019 Ram Rebel. Took the wife to a appointment. Waited in car Maybe 20 minutes with the aux on. Tried to start and stone dead. Jumped battery. Dealership said battery strong and couldn’t find anything wrong. I’m headed on vacation and I’m buying a jump box to take with me. ANYONE HAVE ANY CLUE WITH THE BLANK HAPPENED!?
Not casting aspersions on the dealer...but.

Take it an O'Reilly's or Advance Auto or somewhere with a carbon-pile battery tester. Something better than a simple voltmeter. (Or, buy one yourself. Decent Klein battery testers aren't that expensive.)

I'd get a second opinion.

Edited to add: here's a Foxwell $45 that works for me: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01ANF1BRW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited:

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
2019 Ram - batteries have been an issue. My Ram would not come out of 1st gear because of the battery.
How was the Ram used prior to the 20 minutes? Can you get a 2nd opinion on the battery?

mmcbeat

Reaction score
I had battery problems with my previous vehicle. Turned out there was nothing wrong with it. The past year being 2020 I drove much less than normal and the battery couldn’t keep up. The vehicle had ESS and an intelligent battery sensor.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Have it tested again. Mine did the same a couple of years ago.

Dealer tested it and it showed to be ok. As soon as I got home, truck died a couple of hours later. Took it back to dealer, and they did find it faulty after further testing. The swapped it and I’ve had no issues since.

hoodac78

Reaction score
Yep I would absolutely get a second opinion, or swap it out for a new one. My battery crapped out on me as well and the dealer did find it faulty and swapped it out on warranty. I wouldn't want to have that worry in the back of my head while I'm trying to enjoy a vacation. Happy travels!

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
There have been discussions here about the batteries in the 2019 models dying prematurely. Disclaimer: Before anyone with a 2019 posts to defend their battery, I am only talking about what I've read here. I'm not claiming they are all defective, just that there seems to be a much larger number of 2019's with battery issues.

Definitely get a second opinion.

hoodac78

Reaction score
There have been discussions here about the batteries in the 2019 models dying prematurely. Disclaimer: Before anyone with a 2019 posts to defend their battery, I am only talking about what I've read here. I'm not claiming they are all defective, just that there seems to be a much larger number of 2019's with battery issues.

Defending a lousy battery would not be a hill I would choose to die on....:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California

9E818775-4FAD-4E5A-AFC1-F141B9BFA15D.jpeg

:LOL:

2019 batteries are older than 2020 or 2021s, so it just makes sense that more of them will be dying.

Ram92131

Reaction score
2019 Ram - batteries have been an issue. My Ram would not come out of 1st gear because of the battery.
How was the Ram used prior to the 20 minutes? Can you get a 2nd opinion on the battery?
+1. Just had a similar issue in my 2019, at about 38k miles. Tried to start the truck a couple days ago and wouldn’t go. Charged the battery overnight and next morning got it to turn over, albeit barely. But truck wouldn’t shift out of first, dash lit up with all kinds of warnings, no backup cam. Called the warranty (Max Care Mopar) and they towed it to the dealer. Dealer says they won’t look at it for a week... too busy. 🙄. Plus they won’t warranty the 2-year old battery anyway. 🤬Did my homework on here and suspected a battery could solve it. So I dropped into the Interstate dealer, bought a new battery, drove over to the dealer and installed it. It works, though it’s only been a day so far. Plus it was cheaper than what the dealer would have charged me (no pun intended).

Id love to understand why a faulty battery would cause all those issues, but at least for now I’m a believer in this solution. Definitely swap the battery yourself before screwing around with the dealer!

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Id love to understand why a faulty battery would cause all those issues, but at least for now I’m a believer in this solution. Definitely swap the battery yourself before screwing around with the dealer!

Low battery voltage means the electronics are not operating at the correct voltage levels. Weird and unpredictable behavior is common when that happens. From what I've read, the symptoms you were seeing is normal for when you have a bad battery on these trucks. Sounds like a new battery fixed your issues.

Mike458

Reaction score
My 2019 battery crapped out at around 33k miles. Dealer replaced, still under warranty. Not long after that at 35,400 battery crapped out again and had the dealer replaced under warranty.

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've got just less than 8000 miles. First my Start/Stop unavailable Service message came up, then my battery is dead within minutes. Calling dealer in the morning.

You could possibly have a different issue since Stop/Start runs off the 48V battery

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I've got just less than 8000 miles. First my Start/Stop unavailable Service message came up, then my battery is dead within minutes. Calling dealer in the morning.
19700 miles now. No issues since they replaced it.

Users who are viewing this thread