5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dead Battery while flat towing 2023 1500

sheltieram

Reaction score
I tow my 2023 1500 behind my Motorhome for the past 5 months. Had a 2 day drive so I left it hooked up overnight (first time doing this) and completed the drive today. When I went to start the car the battery was dead (I checked it this morning before leaving and at least the dash came on so I didn't notice any issues). Of course I now have the issue that most of the drive assist software is not working (been there before). But also found when I got the car jump started the transfer case was no longer in neutral. The way this clunks in and out of neutral I figured it was a solid gear shift and nothing electronic could upset it, but apparently a dead battery can! Does anyone tow their 1500 and if so have you had issues with battery drain while towing?

oh58driver

Reaction score
I'm thinking of flat towing my 2022 1500. So, I'm interested to hear what you find out.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Reminds me of the story of a fellow who towed his Jeep behind a big diesel motorhome. Stopped for fuel and lunch and noticed a bit of oil dripping under the Jeep. On closer look, the bottom of the engine was pretty much gone. Apparently he left it in first gear so it wouldn't roll back when he was hitching up, and didn't notice a little extra drag when he headed out the driveway.

Users who are viewing this thread