5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dead battery issues

Dominacb

Reaction score
Hey guys and gals,

I have a 19 1500 limited and think I found an underlying issue that people will start to experience in 2 years. Idk if anyone has had a dead battery yet, but I accidentally cause it. When I tried to start the truck I heard a loud pop (almost like a blowing a fuse) I jumped the truck and now I have a whole set of lights on my dash. ABS, traction, adaptive cruise control, airbag light, and parking sensors. I tried to use my obd scanner to reset it with no success. I went to a NAPA and they couldn't reset it either. If this happens everytime someone has a dead battery, it is a bit ridiculous to HAVE TO go the the dealer each time. My question is....

Does anyone know how to reset the dash lights? I could take it to the dealer, but it's a 45 min drive for me.

Gatornation9999

Reaction score
Hey guys and gals,​
I have a 19 1500 limited and think I found an underlying issue that people will start to experience in 2 years. Idk if anyone has had a dead battery yet, but I accidentally cause it. When I tried to start the truck I heard a loud pop (almost like a blowing a fuse) I jumped the truck and now I have a whole set of lights on my dash. ABS, traction, adaptive cruise control, airbag light, and parking sensors. I tried to use my obd scanner to reset it with no success. I went to a NAPA and they couldn't reset it either. If this happens everytime someone has a dead battery, it is a bit ridiculous to HAVE TO go the the dealer each time. My question is....​
Does anyone know how to reset the dash lights? I could take it to the dealer, but it's a 45 min drive for me.​
I had the battery die on my once. The popping sound happened to me too. I believe it was the dash speaker in my HK system getting popped by the amp. I had the truck towed because I got all the lights too. However, dealer said it was down when they checked it out. I think of you jump it and let it sit 30 mins or so, the battery charges enough to power all the systems you were getting failures from too.

drsubie

Reaction score
I had my '19 Limited battery die out on me too, everything sounded just like yours. Managed to jump it w/ my other car (interestingly, my Amazon portable lithium battery jumper didn't give enough juice to jump it, even though it was rated for > 5.7L engine).

I thought it had something to do with my newly installed LED light bar, but seeing as how I wired it so that the switch controlling it is only on when the truck is keyed on, I didn't think that was the case. Then I thought I left my bed lights on which caused it to drain down...

I have to take it to the dealer to get them to reset all the CEL/ABS warning lights I have on--a simple OBD reader isn't going to do it, you need the scanner tool that's several hundred $$ +

Dodgeboy

Reaction score
I just had the same thing happen to me a week ago. Others have had it as well. It seems that everyone but me had their lights go away on their own after a few minutes of run time. Unfortunately, I had to have my ABS module reinitialized at the dealer in order to get the lights to clear (All the same lights you described, except I didn't have the airbag light). I just got it back from the dealer today (overnight stay) and it seems fine so far. Do you know what caused your dead battery? I am not sure what caused mine. I wasn't sure if whatever caused the lights killed the battery, or if the dead battery caused the lights. The truck hadn't even been sitting for 24hrs, so there was no reason for the battery to be dead. Others have suspected that a UConnect update ran over night and hung up, therefore killing the battery. I'm not sure if that happened to mine or not, but it does make sense.

I also had a CEL of P1DF3

Dominacb

Reaction score
Thanks. I scheduled a time monday to reset it at the dealer. I just think it's a bit ridiculous for a dead battery

Electrical

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So your issue isn't the dead battery, because you caused that yourself, somehow. Your issue is that you can't reset the fault lights... ?

Dominacb

Reaction score
So your issue isn't the dead battery, because you caused that yourself, somehow. Your issue is that you can't reset the fault lights... ?
Yes, I caused the dead battery. But I've never had a dead battery throw a bunch of dash lights........

jk101

Reaction score
all this dead battery talk.... today I bought one of those battery pack jumpers to keep in the truck, just in case.

Electrical

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes, I caused the dead battery. But I've never had a dead battery throw a bunch of dash lights........

Agreed; I never heard of that. I hope you let us know how it goes at your dealer.

Dominacb

Reaction score
Agreed; I never heard of that. I hope you let us know how it goes at your dealer.
Will do. Im just hoping that this isn't a sign that I'm 2 years when batteries start to go bad that everyone will have to go to the dealer to reset lights....

jimwjones

Reaction score
Seems like my about once a month I go out to my truck in the morning and have a dead battery. It's the only car I have that wont take a jump from lithium jump pack (it starts my boat and Denali just fine). Seems like a vehicle with this much tech would have a battery shut off when voltage drops to a certain point. All the dash warning lights reset on their own after I charge the battery and start it back up. I hate to have to take to a dealer since everything is "fine" after I put battery on the charger and dealer will tell me no problem found. I really want to love this truck, but it's always reminding me that it was rushed to market... '19 limited etorque w 12 inch uconnect

Roddog2220

Reaction score
dead battery monday, popping 2, dealer replaced battery, got to drive a jeep 2 days an appreciated the ram even more

FastBlackRam

Reaction score
Seems like my about once a month I go out to my truck in the morning and have a dead battery. It's the only car I have that wont take a jump from lithium jump pack (it starts my boat and Denali just fine). Seems like a vehicle with this much tech would have a battery shut off when voltage drops to a certain point. All the dash warning lights reset on their own after I charge the battery and start it back up. I hate to have to take to a dealer since everything is "fine" after I put battery on the charger and dealer will tell me no problem found. I really want to love this truck, but it's always reminding me that it was rushed to market... '19 limited etorque w 12 inch uconnect
Your battery is dead once a month and you think the dealer will say nothing is wrong? You need to find another dealer or have your current dealer find out what's causing the excessive drain. Am I crazy here? There is something wrong with your truck, that is not normal. Please don't take my comments the wrong way, I am just shocked by your post!!!

Roddog2220

Reaction score
Your battery is dead once a month and you think the dealer will say nothing is wrong? You need to find another dealer or have your current dealer find out what's causing the excessive drain. Am I crazy here? There is something wrong with your truck, that is not normal. Please don't take my comments the wrong way, I am just shocked by your post!!!

heck i only had one issue sunday night and after i had to jump it i demanded a new battery, we pay to much for these dam things to have these types of problems

i made them put me in a loaner vehicle as well, i wasnt waiting

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I can't offer a technical opinion at this moment, but 2017-2018 Hondas are having pre-mature battery failures, and the symptom is exactly how you folks are describing dead batteries in the new Rams (all instrument lamps lit, cannot extinguish) I recently disconnected the battery on mine to check the ground connection that was subject of a recall, and upon reconnection everything worked fine.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram DT 1500 Silver Billet Laramie, Quad Cab, 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, 18 inch wheels. Build date: 17 April 2018. Now at 021559 miles.

Longkoy

Reaction score
The battery drained on me twice, the first one happened in a hospital parking, luckily the car beside me jump started my truck, but warning lights in my dash was lit, driven it to the dealer with a transmission that would only run on first gear, vehicles behind me are queuing up in a 2 lane street. Dealer change the battery, still under warranty. But it happened again after 5 months, same problems even after jump starting the engine. I even let it run for an hour to recharge the bat but lights were still lit up. Now I am worried to bring my family in my truck to out of state drive. I really don't like the idea of reprogramming the truck in the dealer only every time you drain the battery. I wish there is a type of OBD the we can use ourselves to fix it.

Qman32

Reaction score
The battery drained on me twice, the first one happened in a hospital parking, luckily the car beside me jump started my truck, but warning lights in my dash was lit, driven it to the dealer with a transmission that would only run on first gear, vehicles behind me are queuing up in a 2 lane street. Dealer change the battery, still under warranty. But it happened again after 5 months, same problems even after jump starting the engine. I even let it run for an hour to recharge the bat but lights were still lit up. Now I am worried to bring my family in my truck to out of state drive. I really don't like the idea of reprogramming the truck in the dealer only every time you drain the battery. I wish there is a type of OBD the we can use ourselves to fix it.
I have a 2019 Challenger, same Uconnect battery kill BS. If the battery is flat dead long enough, and you jump it or charge it, too many codes have tripped on the car. Mine had some "shifter failure" warnings, and would not get out of park. So you need a 10mm socket to disconnect the GROUND connection on the battery for 5 minutes or so. Then re-connect, and re-start the vehicle. You may have to run the vehicle or charge the battery a bit first before doing this. This re-boots all the computers and communications properly, and you don't need any resets or dealer or tow etc. Hope it works the same on the trucks, I don't see why not.

Professor

Reaction score
Funny, I have had the EXACT same issue mentioned by OP on my 2019 limited. Truck started cranking slow, then one day it wouldn't starter. I jumped it off with my battery pack, then 2 days later same thing happened. Now, all the warning lights are appearing and there's 18 codes being shown. I had to get it towed to the dealer because it wouldn't get out of first gear. Dealer has taken 5 days to investigate, comes back to tell me that my battery is underpowered (from the factory??). Even though it was testing as good. We shall see. Hopefully picking it back up today.

Monstaa11

Reaction score
I have a 2019 Big Horn 5.7 and am currently battling the battery issue. Factory battery died on me a couple weeks ago. I jump the truck and limp it into the dealership. Aside from hating the limp mode (should be called strand mode), I now have a recurring issue. The dealer replaced the battery, two weeks later it's dead again. I disconnect the ground, let sit for 30 minutes, reconnect and jump it. All but the check engine light are ok, so it's not in limp mode. I drive to the dealer...again. This time they keep it overnight to do leak down testing. They say there is no draw when it's off and the alternator is fine. So they're blaming a faulty battery, which is highly unlikely to begin with, but with all the same issues I hear from the 2019 Ram crowd, my feeling is something is intermittently drawing power and the dealer didn't catch it. I'm at the point where if this second new battery dies quickly and I get stranded yet again, the truck unfortunately has to go. It's really too bad, I absolutely love the truck otherwise.

Leeahlee

Reaction score
Funny, I have had the EXACT same issue mentioned by OP on my 2019 limited. Truck started cranking slow, then one day it wouldn't starter. I jumped it off with my battery pack, then 2 days later same thing happened. Now, all the warning lights are appearing and there's 18 codes being shown. I had to get it towed to the dealer because it wouldn't get out of first gear. Dealer has taken 5 days to investigate, comes back to tell me that my battery is underpowered (from the factory??). Even though it was testing as good. We shall see. Hopefully picking it back up today.
I would really love to know what they told you about your truck. Mine has been at the dealership for over a week and all I’m told is I need a $500 battery. Everyone seems to be having the same issue. I absolutely love this truck, but I am considering trading it in. That will break my heart.

Users who are viewing this thread