5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dead battery/check engine light 2020 bighorn hemi etorque

Pdowney84

Reaction score
So some history first. My truck is a 2020 big horn with the 5.7 etorque powertrain. 17k miles with 0 issues until today. I went to start my truck and was just met with a click. Needing to get to work I jumped in my girlfriends car and decided to jump it when I got home. The truck started after a couple minutes on the cables. I let it run about 15 minutes before taking to get gas and let the system charge. While driving I noticed the check engine light is now on. Not thinking I shut it off at the pump. Dead again.... it had been running for at least 25 minutes. I got a jump from someone at the pump and drove 10 minutes home with the check engine light on. Truck is in my driveway and wont start again. Gonna have to borrow the car again to get to work. Curious if anyone has had issues the the etorque charging system?

Keezer

Reaction score
Most likely the battery is bad, if under warranty you can go thru the motions with your dealer. Surprising how long they can take to finally say it is the battery.

Or you can just replace it on your own, have a auto parts store test it for you before you do anything, you will at least know what they say compared to the dealer.

If you search you will find a bunch of threads about the battery giving it up.

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
So some history first. My truck is a 2020 big horn with the 5.7 etorque powertrain. 17k miles with 0 issues until today. I went to start my truck and was just met with a click. Needing to get to work I jumped in my girlfriends car and decided to jump it when I got home. The truck started after a couple minutes on the cables. I let it run about 15 minutes before taking to get gas and let the system charge. While driving I noticed the check engine light is now on. Not thinking I shut it off at the pump. Dead again.... it had been running for at least 25 minutes. I got a jump from someone at the pump and drove 10 minutes home with the check engine light on. Truck is in my driveway and wont start again. Gonna have to borrow the car again to get to work. Curious if anyone has had issues the the etorque charging system?
here is the thing i have learned about a truck with the etorque, the cold starter battery is charged by the 48 volt etorque battery behind the second row seat. it uses the, i have more voltage so i flow to the 12 volt system battery. the etorque engine charges the 48 volt battery behind the second row seat. so unless the 48 volt battery is fully charged you will have issues.

and there are lots of posts here about a dead battery

Pdowney84

Reaction score
Most likely the battery is bad, if under warranty you can go thru the motions with your dealer. Surprising how long they can take to finally say it is the battery.

Or you can just replace it on your own, have a auto parts store test it for you before you do anything, you will at least know what they say compared to the dealer.

If you search you will find a bunch of threads about the battery giving it up.
The symptoms say battery but at just 18 months old I hope not. Seems a little early.

geauxright

Reaction score
Any updates to this situation? My 2020 1500 etorque is doing the exact same thing.

Users who are viewing this thread