5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dead Backup Camera

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
"Camera System Unavailable"

Blue screen (of death)

No rear parking sensors.

7,200 miles on the truck.

Worked fine as I was leaving to go to the local dealer to get my oil changed and tires rotated. Happened while I was there.

Sus.

Gotta wait two weeks for them to get it in to try and fix it. At least it's covered under warranty. Anyone have something like this happen to them?

Clv22p

Reaction score
Yes. There are many threads here about it. It’s happened to me as well. Most common thing is to check connection at the tailgate.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah, open tailgate and give the wires a good shake. If that doesn't fix it, unhook it and reseat the connectors. If you leave it unplugged thats what the weird connector in your glovebox is for.

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
I’ve had it twice and never did anything to it. One time I just turned off the truck & turned it back on & it was fine. The other time was more annoying but after I went to dinner and came back outside it was working fine.! Super weird but since it only happened twice in 2.5 years I’m not too worried

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah, happened to me once on my Grand Cherokee, came back the following day. Haven't had a chance to check yet today but the truck was on and off a couple times yesterday when it happened and it didn't come back. I will check the connection later.

@Aseras where exactly do I unhook it from?

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
Also try disconnecting the battery for 5 or 10 minutes for a "soft" reset

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Also try disconnecting the battery for 5 or 10 minutes for a "soft" reset
That's a good idea too. I'm surprised that it's both the back-up camera AND the rear parking sensors though. Like, I get they're both related to reversing lol but I just didn't think they were "linked". Figured they operated pretty much independently from each other so why would one having an issue carry over to the other...?

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
That's a good idea too. I'm surprised that it's both the back-up camera AND the rear parking sensors though. Like, I get they're both related to reversing lol but I just didn't think they were "linked". Figured they operated pretty much independently from each other so why would one having an issue carry over to the other...?
I cant honestly tell you but I do know that that these uconnect systems can be very finicky, especially with the 12" screens. I had my new 21 for like 4 months when I had an issue with the back up camera not working. The 12" screen was blank and no images would appear when in reverse. It worked the night before but the next morning backing out of my driveway it didnt. I searched the forums for info before I took it back to get it fixed and I stumbled upon many issues with the camera's. Someone suggested to disconnect the battery for a few minutes for a soft reset. When I got to work I did disconnect the battery for 5 minutes and it's been perfect since and that was 6 months ago. I cant say that was the golden fix but it hasn't acted up at all since.

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Welp, truck sat all day yesterday and when I fired 'er up this afternoon, all good. Camera and sensors are back.

Guess Uconnect just had a.....wait for it....

disconnect. Yeah, I said it.

Now the question is, do I keep my service appointment two weeks out? Cause with my luck, everything'll be fine, I'll cancel it day before, and then DAY OF it'll go out again lol.

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
Welp, truck sat all day yesterday and when I fired 'er up this afternoon, all good. Camera and sensors are back.

Guess Uconnect just had a.....wait for it....

disconnect. Yeah, I said it.

Now the question is, do I keep my service appointment two weeks out? Cause with my luck, everything'll be fine, I'll cancel it day before, and then DAY OF it'll go out again lol.
At least it's back on now. If you didnt yet, I'd still disconnect the battery. As far as cancelling the appointment, see how it is for a few days and go from there. If it stops working again then definitely bring it in

AthensRam

Reaction score
My issues were the same: Camera Unavailable & Rear Sensors disabled. Worked in the morning and that afternoon stopped working. Was without these features for 3 months. New truck <1 year old and 17,000 miles. Still happy with the truck, even with this annoying issue.

After several visits to dealer to figure out what was wrong ( credit to dealer for not giving up and fixing the issue ), the end of the story was the Park Assist Camera Control Module ( mopar part number 04672915AD ). Per the description this module controls the "Trailer reverse steering control". Thought it was a cable for awhile. If they used the "test cable", the camera system worked. Assume that "test cable" also bypassed this module. Mine was the module, not the cable.

Users who are viewing this thread