5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dashcam install location

striperseeker

Reaction score
I've installed a Blackvue DR900x+ dashcam in my 2020 1500 Laramie but the cowling and black "paint" around it on the windshield prevent me getting a full 160 degree FoV. I noticed inside the cowling under the rear view mirror is some sort of sensor/lens. Does anyone know what this is for? Is is Forward Collision System? Rainsense? I don't want to block it, esp. if it's something important like that. Going lower with the dash cam bring the hood into play and farther left or right chops off the edges from FoV.
Any insight would be appreciated.
TIA.

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I've installed a Blackvue DR900x+ dashcam in my 2020 1500 Laramie but the cowling and black "paint" around it on the windshield prevent me getting a full 160 degree FoV. I noticed inside the cowling under the rear view mirror is some sort of sensor/lens. Does anyone know what this is for? Is is Forward Collision System? Rainsense? I don't want to block it, esp. if it's something important like that. Going lower with the dash cam bring the hood into play and farther left or right chops off the edges from FoV.
TIA.
I ran into that problem with my Durango. There just wasn't a good location without mounting it in the middle of the windshield. I never installed it. For a Ram, I ordered a Fitcamx. It replaces the plastic cover, with the camera built in. Plug and play, it plugs into the mirror connector for power.

striperseeker

Reaction score
TIA.
Here's a picture of the sensor.

Attachments

• RamSensor.JPG
    RamSensor.JPG
    37.6 KB · Views: 66

striperseeker

Reaction score
I ran into that problem with my Durango. There just wasn't a good location without mounting it in the middle of the windshield. I never installed it. For a Ram, I ordered a Fitcamx. It replaces the plastic cover, with the camera built in. Plug and play, it plugs into the mirror connector for power.
I went to their site and their new model that matches the newer cowlings isn't available yet.

66Fuelie

Reaction score
How do you like your Fitcamx? Any pics of it installed? Did you do the rear cam also or just the front?
Thanks
Tom

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
How do you like your Fitcamx? Any pics of it installed? Did you do the rear cam also or just the front?
Thanks
Tom
I actually received the camera, the day after I refused the truck. Long story, but I will reorder. I compared the video right on the blackvue site, which if anything, they would have made it look better than reality, to a youtube video from an actual owner. Way better picture. Camera is built right in to the replacement cover. You just remove the factory cover, plug the harness into the factory harness, and reinstall new cover. Less than 10 minute install. I only ordered the front 4k camera. Didn't want to mess with headliner for rear.

U

User_119824

I just installed this exact same camera on my Ram. I was researching that lens also and never got an answer, so I mounted the camera just a bit beneath it. Zero issues with the field of view....the hood is much lower than the lens. Happy with the camera and the location.

Bionicbo

Reaction score
Thanks
Tom
Hey..sorry to chime in but I just installed my Fitcamx last week and absolutely love it, from the inside can barely tell its there and hardly noticeable from the outside, crystal clear images/recording night and day. I can upload some pictures if interested

23RAM

Reaction score
Hey..sorry to chime in but I just installed my Fitcamx last week and absolutely love it, from the inside can barely tell its there and hardly noticeable from the outside, crystal clear images/recording night and day. I can upload some pictures if interested
I ordered the same cam and am awaiting it's arrival. I ordered through Amazon Canada for $20 less than their website. It shipped from China last week and it shows scanned into the airport in Canada already. I expect it'll be another week to clear customs and get it sorted and shipped to the house. Looking forward to installing it - such a sleek and clean install without any wires hanging around. I'll post some stills once I get it too.

Users who are viewing this thread