5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dashboard light dimmer/adjustment and 12" screen brightness....

Hemogoblin

Reaction score
I'm confused....the little rolling dial, to the lower left of the steering wheel, on the dash (there are actually two dials there, but I am referring to the one on the right). When I roll it "up" the dash dials, and screen get brighter. But unless I roll the dial beyond the little click (where there is some resistance) during the day, the dash dials and screen are too dark. I have to roll it beyond the click to get the screen bright. But then at night, the screen is too damn bright so I have to reach down, hunt for the dial, and roll it back just beyond the click. SUPER ANNOYING. Incidentally, when I do this at night, the nav goes into night mode and the screen actually appears as though it is night outside. So this is the mode it should be in at night, clearly. However, during the day, this is too dark.

2019 Rebel, 12" screen, and the headlights are set to Auto.

varnerme

Reaction score
do you have daytime running lights on in settings? That might be impacting how this dial functions. I have a 2020 Rebel, 12" screen, headlights on auto with daytime running lights set to off and I don't have this problem.

Konrad

Reaction score
It's the same with 8.4" screens and I think all trims are affected. EXTREMELY ANNOYING, especially with auto headlights. When you're past that "click", the dimmer goes from 100 to about 35% in one step, with nothing in between. I would love to meet the moron who designed this, the team of idiots who tested and approved it and the imbecile who signed and allowed it for production, to ask about the thought process behind this brilliant feature.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hemogoblin

Reaction score
do you have daytime running lights on in settings? That might be impacting how this dial functions. I have a 2020 Rebel, 12" screen, headlights on auto with daytime running lights set to off and I don't have this problem.

I'm in Canada so I "think" DRL are mandatory. If I can disable in settings, I will try but I doubt it :-(

Konrad

Reaction score
I'm in Canada so I "think" DRL are mandatory. If I can disable in settings, I will try but I doubt it :-(

It's not DRLs. Likely it's the dimmer module's bad design. Lots of people are experiencing this ( search this forum, too). I think FCA might have fixed it for 2020 models.

Hemogoblin

Reaction score
It's not DRLs. Likely it's the dimmer module's bad design. Lots of people are experiencing this ( search this forum, too). I think FCA might have fixed it for 2020 models.

Damn it. Do you think it's possibly the actual design of the switch itself? Wondering if they did fix this for 2020, could we swap out to a newer switch?

Konrad

Reaction score
Damn it. Do you think it's possibly the actual design of the switch itself? Wondering if they did fix this for 2020, could we swap out to a newer switch?

The answer to both your questions is "most likely" :) and I'm planning to find out very soon.

If they have fixed it for 2020, the updated part will have different last two letters of the part number vs 2019. There's no logical reason the updated part wouldn't fit 2019. I'm sure they haven't changed the wiring harness or connector type, and the dashboard is the same for both MYs, so it should fit without problems.

If they haven't fixed it and if the dimmer is a simple potentiometer (and I think it is), its resistance can be adjusted by adding a parallel resistor. Should be a simple mod.

I'm going to find out and fix this stupid issue one way or another. Stay tuned :)

KiyLux

Reaction score
I just got my 2020 limited 1500 2 weeks back. Still an issue. I hate the fact when the Day is transitioning to Night and it is still fairly bright outside, but the auto headlights kick on, the screen goes very dark and then I have to manually push the dial to full bright until its dark enough outside to bump the dial back down. Ive tried to mess with the screen brightness, but with all other cars I have had, setting the screen brightness to auto works perfectly fine. No reason it shouldn't work here on Auto settings, but then again here we are.

Hemogoblin

Reaction score
The answer to both your questions is "most likely" :) and I'm planning to find out very soon.

If they have fixed it for 2020, the updated part will have different last two letters of the part number vs 2019. There's no logical reason the updated part wouldn't fit 2019. I'm sure they haven't changed the wiring harness or connector type, and the dashboard is the same for both MYs, so it should fit without problems.

If they haven't fixed it and if the dimmer is a simple potentiometer (and I think it is), its resistance can be adjusted by adding a parallel resistor. Should be a simple mod.

I'm going to find out and fix this stupid issue one way or another. Stay tuned :)

Awesome! Staying tuned :)

Hemogoblin

Reaction score
I just got my 2020 limited 1500 2 weeks back. Still an issue. I hate the fact when the Day is transitioning to Night and it is still fairly bright outside, but the auto headlights kick on, the screen goes very dark and then I have to manually push the dial to full bright until its dark enough outside to bump the dial back down. Ive tried to mess with the screen brightness, but with all other cars I have had, setting the screen brightness to auto works perfectly fine. No reason it shouldn't work here on Auto settings, but then again here we are.

Agreed. Drives me crazy.

I'm at a loss here with some of these very minor, yet incredibly irritating issues. Surely, SURELY, someone test drove these trucks around for a while, day and night to notice some of these problems? And from what I can gather, they seem to be simple fixes which could have easily been addressed? I dunno. I love the truck but.....

macinusaf

Reaction score
Same here. If I roll the dial past the "haptic resistance" mark, it turns on the ambient lighting (which I prefer) used in door handle/map pocket spaces, and thin line across the dash board. The maddening part is when these lights are on, the guage cluster lighting dims to the point of almost being off. Is just too damn dark to be useful.

I asked the dealership if a flash update could possibly fix the issue and was told "someone can show you how to work the dials properly." Really? I couldn't make them understand the problem.

Last edited:

Hipilot

Reaction score
I couldn't agree more that this is a major design flaw since it impacts the vehicle operation in a big way. They want to run so many controls through your touchscreen and then make it stupidly hard to use. The first time my headlights auto lit and my 12" screen auto disappeared it was very distracting. Should be a recall repair. It is definitely an epic fail by FCA on an otherwise great truck (along with not offering the power fold away tow mirrors on 1500 models).

Possum

Reaction score
Not to mention the screen and dash going to day mode when you turn it off and blinding you at night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hipilot

Reaction score
Not to mention the screen and dash going to day mode when you turn it off and blinding you at night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I second that also. It is a huge flaw across the board. Hopefully we don't need to wait for an accident relating to this for FCA to properly address. If someone uses my truck I absolutely have to brief them on this epic fault and the workarounds.

Jim L

Reaction score
And I thought it was just me. Have the same issue in my 2020. PITA!

stevj

Reaction score
On a clear day, I can see Seattle from my house.
I'm confused....the little rolling dial, to the lower left of the steering wheel, on the dash (there are actually two dials there, but I am referring to the one on the right). When I roll it "up" the dash dials, and screen get brighter. But unless I roll the dial beyond the little click (where there is some resistance) during the day, the dash dials and screen are too dark. I have to roll it beyond the click to get the screen bright. But then at night, the screen is too damn bright so I have to reach down, hunt for the dial, and roll it back just beyond the click. SUPER ANNOYING. Incidentally, when I do this at night, the nav goes into night mode and the screen actually appears as though it is night outside. So this is the mode it should be in at night, clearly. However, during the day, this is too dark.

2019 Rebel, 12" screen, and the headlights are set to Auto.

Here's how I deal with that nonsense when I use my headlights during the day:
1. Make sure the light brightness roller is not in the full brightness detent.
2. On the map display, select NAV SETTINGS.
3. On the NAV SETTINGS screen, select MAP APPEARANCE. Notice the little map in this window is shown in daytime mode.
4. Now touch the X in the upper right to close the MAP APPEARANCE screen.
Your map display screen is now in daytime display and will remain so unless you roll the intensity switch to full brightness or cycle the headlight switch. If you do either of these, you will have to run through the select and close procedure again to return the screen to daytime display.
You didn't change any settings, just selected a screen and then closed it.

Steve

Ram4Lou

Reaction score

My 2019 Limited has this same very annoying issue, so I’m staying tuned as well!

Will be nice if it’s just an updated switch to replace the one currently installed.

stevj

Reaction score
On a clear day, I can see Seattle from my house.
Would need wiring diagrams (for signal and pinout information) for Integrated Center Stack Module, Instrument Panel Cluster, BCM, Headlamp Switch.
The FSM that I have does not include wiring diagrams or description of operation, only removal and install instructions. Hard to troubleshoot.

Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online