5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dashboard 12v Accessory (Cigarette lighter)

danimal442

Reaction score
Hey guys, without sounding too dumb, might I ask how to find/get access to the inside fuse box? I just picked up a 2021 and I'd like to make my USB ports hot all the time (phone charging, etc.). Not sure if the fuse box has moved, but for the life of me I can't find it under the drivers side dash.

2019REBEL

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hey guys, without sounding too dumb, might I ask how to find/get access to the inside fuse box? I just picked up a 2021 and I'd like to make my USB ports hot all the time (phone charging, etc.). Not sure if the fuse box has moved, but for the life of me I can't find it under the drivers side dash.

Not sure if they moved it or not but look under your steering wheel and there should be a panel there, remove the 2 bolts and pull it down as it will still be attached by clips.

notimetoulouse

Reaction score
Guys, thought I'd add to the information on this. Seems not all the 5th Gen Fuseboxes are the same

I have a new 3.6L 1500 Laramie and the 12v outlet at the top of the dash, which shows a key, is always on. Looking at this thread I thought it was a simple matter of swapping a fuse in location 54. My manual shows the same image as posted by riccnick above.

Unfortunately the fuse box in my truck is different.

I'm assuming it is because of the eTorque system. I've attached images of the fusebox and diagram under the lid. Location 54 has no fuse in it and the location is described as PCM.

Wouldn't bother me except I run my dashcam off the 12v outlet and it doesn't shut off when the ignition is off as it is supposed to so I want to put it back to only being hot when the ignition is on.

I'm wondering if it is as simple as just putting a spare 20A fuse in the 54 slot but I'm beginning to doubt it? It looks like a trip to the dealer.

The truck came like this so maybe because of the eTorque system everything is live all the time.

By the way, I love this truck. Came from a 2018 EcoDiesel which was fantastic on long runs but now I'm doing very few city miles. Getting 18 mpg mostly with 26 on an occasional thrash up the motorway. Always hated stop start until I got this. Wow what a difference. Love it.

Fusebox.jpg Fusebox-Layout.jpg

2019REBEL

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
That's the fuse box under the hood, he is referring to the one under the steering wheel inside the cab.

notimetoulouse

Reaction score
Ah, thank you. I initially looked there but I there was only a small removable panel with no fusebox in it. Thanks. I guess it requires removing the whole panel under the steering wheel. Thanks, I feel a bit of a dunce, I'm from a time when we used the inner tray of a 10 pack of cigarettes to set the contacts on my motorbike...yep I'm that old :)

danimal442

Reaction score
Thanks for help guys. I found it. Jeez, 6 push-retainers AND two screws?!? Are they worried someone is going to steal your fuses?!? Anyway, problem solved. Much thanks~

notimetoulouse

Reaction score
Guys, it was just as people have said. Ended up being a 10 minute job. 2 screws and a good tug and the panel was off. Fuse F54 was set to Position A which is battery feed. Used the fuse puller that is in the under hood fuse box to pull it and replace it in position B. Now the dash cam turns on and off with the ignition.

Screws.jpg
Fusebox2.jpg
fUSES.jpg

philodog

Reaction score

Users who are viewing this thread