5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dash Lighting Brightness - Far too dim

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Isn't there a setting in UConnect that also goes with the dial for brightness? My only complaint with the brightness is during a bright day, it starts raining and the wipers are on, and the headlights are on due to laws that require it, and the entire dash/radio goes into night brightness mode.

There is a light sensor on the dash. How hard would it be for the sensor to actually be part of the light programming to determine lights on, but bright outside, leave dash lighting in day mode. We've been complaining about this since 2019, so after 5 years, I'm not too hopeful that RAM cares to do anything about this.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Isn't there a setting in UConnect that also goes with the dial for brightness? My only complaint with the brightness is during a bright day, it starts raining and the wipers are on, and the headlights are on due to laws that require it, and the entire dash/radio goes into night brightness mode.

There is a light sensor on the dash. How hard would it be for the sensor to actually be part of the light programming to determine lights on, but bright outside, leave dash lighting in day mode. We've been complaining about this since 2019, so after 5 years, I'm not too hopeful that RAM cares to do anything about this.
I don't know any vehicle that does this.

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have to go through all the laborious hassle of manually hitting the dimmer switch up during a daylight rain. I have to lean forward and reach with my left hand. It's a safety hazard! A distraction! Heck it could cause heat attacks with that much physical strain! We're going to die!

But yea, it would have been smart to tie it to the light sensor and not just whenever the headlights come on.

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's the same with driving under large overpasses, or thru a small tunnel. My headlights turn on in a split second of the dash sensor experiencing diminished light, but it takes a minute or two for them to turn off when getting back into the light. That minute or two delay during the day, causes the dash and infotainment to be useless.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I think IIRC there are two settings in UConnect for day and night brightness (headlights on and off) but these are for the infotainment screen, and don't necessarily have the desired effect on the EVIC. I remember having to fiddle with things for awhile to find a tolerable combination, as the factory defaults were nearly undriveable. I also remember the nav map being unreadable in almost any lighting condition, white roads on a light gray background. I think finding the dark theme was the big breakthrough on that.

PetePA

Reaction score
Its baffling Ram didn't install a light sensor in the cabin. Bright daylight but raining the headlights come and the dash pretty much goes off.
What was more baffling is that when I got my brand new Ford Explorer XLT it didn't have a remote garage door opener on the visor :ROFLMAO:

First world problems.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Its baffling Ram didn't install a light sensor in the cabin. Bright daylight but raining the headlights come and the dash pretty much goes off.
That's actually where the light sensor is. On the dash inside the cabin.

PatriotLonghorn

Reaction score
The newer Wranglers (JL/JT) must use the exact same switch/step/resistor, as the lighting behavior is identical. Useless during the day with the lights on, or welding arc at night.

Users who are viewing this thread