5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dash Lighting Brightness - Far too dim

RamElite

Reaction score
Has anyone had success in overriding (somehow, someway) the factory dash light dimmer control? By way of a hack, upgrade, remapping... something.. anything.. the dash lights at night are far too dim. I know this is an issue spoken about in previous posts - wondering if there's a solution to getting more juice to the factory dash lights specifically (door controls, ceiling switches, all of them - way too dark). Hard to believe how dull the lighting is. I realize there's a dimmer wheel with a second "notch" at the very top that illuminates the main tach - that becomes too bright while every other component of the dash is still dim - and also removes the ambient lighting - which is odd and virtually non-existent anyway. Thanks in advance!

pkman

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Get your cataracts removed?
Not a helpful comment. #1 in the forum rules "1. Treat other members with the respect they deserve. This should go without saying, but treat others like you would like to be treated! We welcome all discussions and understand everyone might not see eye to eye but keep it civil."

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Has anyone had success in overriding (somehow, someway) the factory dash light dimmer control? By way of a hack, upgrade, remapping... something.. anything.. the dash lights at night are far too dim. I know this is an issue spoken about in previous posts - wondering if there's a solution to getting more juice to the factory dash lights specifically (door controls, ceiling switches, all of them - way too dark). Hard to believe how dull the lighting is. I realize there's a dimmer wheel with a second "notch" at the very top that illuminates the main tach - that becomes too bright while every other component of the dash is still dim - and also removes the ambient lighting - which is odd and virtually non-existent anyway. Thanks in advance!
I tried hardware hack on the dimmer wheel PCB, that was a no go.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I guess I'll have to pay attention the next time I drive at night because I've never noticed an issue with the dash lights being too dim.

Not a helpful comment. #1 in the forum rules "1. Treat other members with the respect they deserve. This should go without saying, but treat others like you would like to be treated! We welcome all discussions and understand everyone might not see eye to eye but keep it civil."
While I agree with the rules I think @beetlespin was just making a joke. It's good to follow the rules but it's also good to keep things light as well. I don't think he meant any disrespect to the OP.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I tried hardware hack on the dimmer wheel PCB, that was a no go.

What did you learn from your efforts? I'm EE so get as technical as you want.
Is it just a potentiometer that might benefit from a resistor paralleled somewhere?
Or is it a PWM module that only goes to 50%? Other?

I asked previously if anyone had a wiring diagram they would share, but didn't get a response on that. I'm not going to buy the subscription just for that little detail, but it's on my list if I ever do.

RookieB555

Reaction score
Yeah the lighting sucks. There are three basic settings, off, dim, and welding arc
Lol, exactly. Odd since my wife’s FCA vehicle has very good control over the Uconnect and dash brightness. Much more control for some reason compared to my Ram.

Ideally on the Ram there would be a middle ground between the daytime brightness level and “brightest” headlights on lighting level. I only really notice it during the day if the wipers go on and then the headlights go on, then the 12” screen feels too dim.

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Is it just a potentiometer that might benefit from a resistor paralleled somewhere?
Not that lucky. It is a stepped voltage reference, set by 9 fixed resistors.
The voltage level that the BCM is monitoring to go from dimmed to full on is baked in, adding a potentiometer in series did no good.
dimmer trace side.jpg

Attachments

• dimmer resistor side.jpg
    dimmer resistor side.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 7

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I asked previously if anyone had a wiring diagram they would share, but didn't get a response on that. I'm not going to buy the subscription just for that little detail, but it's on my list if I ever do
Alldata does not have a component level schematic on anything, doubt that WiTec has one either.
Never seen any re-flow ovens or PACE re-work stations at any dealership LOL.
Don`t remember where I dug this up but it is pretty representative of the circuit.
dimmer schematic.jpg

Last edited:

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I’ve honestly never had a problem with them as long as I keep the brightness off the highest setting. Who actually uses that?🫣

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not that lucky. It is a stepped voltage reference, set by 9 fixed resistors.
The voltage level that the BCM is monitoring to go from dimmed to full on is baked in, adding a potentiometer in series did no good.
View attachment 183399
Thanks for the info, that's right on point.
And yikes!
No wonder our trucks have so many flaky electronic issues. I've fired people who did better work. Are they putting LSD in their morning coffee?
Rant off.
So it appears they have baked in the input mistakes. I wonder if benefit could be obtained by inserting an offsetting circuit inline with the output of the BCM.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’ve honestly never had a problem with them as long as I keep the brightness off the highest setting. Who actually uses that?🫣

The problem for me, and I suspect also for the others complaining, is that the first notch down is too dim for bright daylight operation, and all of the variable range is even dimmer. The best setting I've found is the first notch down makes it have full illumination with headlights off and about half illumination with headlights on. It's a little bit dimmer than I want, and all of the lower settings are completely useless, and might as well not even be there.

The range where I really need variability is in the upper half of illumination, not the lower half. They gave us almost the opposite of what was needed. It's like the engineers misunderstood their assignment, middle management was too stupid to catch the mistake, and sales didn't care. And now, years down the road, no one wants to admit the mistake and it would cost too much to fix.

So yeah it might seem like a "first world problem", but we've had variable dash illumination that actually works since, what, the fifties? And suddenly it's too difficult for them to get right? And if they screwed up something this simple, how bad are the more complex systems?

"He that is faithful in that which is least is faithful also in much:
and he that is unjust in the least is unjust also in much." (Luke 16:10 KJV)

Okay you can stick a fork in me. I'm done.

Users who are viewing this thread