5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dash is dead, truck won't start

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I went to get in the truck today and nothing works. The dash won't come on. The gauges jump around a little bit and I can hear relays and switches trying to work. But, it won't start. The battery is fine. I disconnected the battery for 2 hours but that didn't work. Any suggestion?

2020 Big Horn Hemi with eTorque.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

kittyjo

Reaction score
I went to get in the truck today and nothing works. The dash won't come on. The gauges jump around a little bit and I can hear relays and switches trying to work. But, it won't start. The battery is fine. I disconnected the battery for 2 hours but that didn't work. Any suggestion?

Do u have a volt meter to check battery? If not just jump it off and drive it for 30-40min for it to charge back up enough for the battery to have a charge. Cud be something draining the battery to where it’s not enough juice to crank the truck... just a thought

emings

Reaction score

Alternator and starter working good?

jkm312

Reaction score
Check all the battery grounds under the hood, there are 5 of them. That is the simplest first step fix. Next is off to the dealer

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If it’s a ground...WTF FCA...still producing trucks with grounding issues. This issue has a well documented history, are you not implementing corrective action on the assembly line.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Check all the relays in the box under the hood too. A lot of people find loose ones causing the same issue. The ground from the negative battery to the block is also a big culprit.

Brad460

Reaction score
“Any suggestions?”

Yes, call your f-ing dealer..

Are you going to try and fix your 2020 truck yourself based on forum responses? :LOL:

vincentw56

Reaction score
“Any suggestions?”

Yes, call your f-ing dealer..

Are you going to try and fix your 2020 truck yourself based on forum responses?
Well, if it was something simple, than yes, I would. I'm not a f'ing moron. Thanks for the assumption that I am.

Brad460

Reaction score
Well, if it was something simple, than yes, I would. I'm not a f'ing moron. Thanks for the assumption that I am.

I know what your doing...Just jk with you!

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Battery/battery cables. Same thing just happened to a fellow forum member a few months ago (worded almost exactly as you did)...he had it towed to dealer. New battery fixed everything.

vincentw56

Reaction score
Guess it is the battery. Went out today and no lights or anything. I have it on a charger, but it might be completely gone. I'm going to try to call the number above.

vincentw56

Reaction score
It was the battery. Called the number above and he put a jump box on it. It started don't the crazy things again, lights flashing, relays on and off, etc. I jumped in and stared it. It's fine now. I just wonder for how long.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It was the battery. Called the number above and he put a jump box on it. It started don't the crazy things again, lights flashing, relays on and off, etc. I jumped in and stared it. It's fine now. I just wonder for how long.

Nice! It was probably just not a good battery to begin with.

RunsWithBeer

Reaction score
I've had a couple of vehicles (Volvo and Genesis) that had their battery in the trunk area. Keeping the battery away from the extreme heat of the engine bay does wonders for its longevity.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've had a couple of vehicles (Volvo and Genesis) that had their battery in the trunk area. Keeping the battery away from the extreme heat of the engine bay does wonders for its longevity.
Makes sense! Although for us Etorque guys ..we already have a battery pack in the back seat lol. Never had a issue with my Charger RT with the battery in the back.

vincentw56

Reaction score
Makes sense! Although for us Etorque guys ..we already have a battery pack in the back seat lol. Never had a issue with my Charger RT with the battery in the back.
I have the eTorque and that battery did nothing to help me.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have the eTorque and that battery did nothing to help me.

No it wouldn't have. That battery pack is specific to the Etorque system with the stop/start. Your main battery is the one responsible for everything else. But I'm saying there's no room to put the main battery anywhere else.

Users who are viewing this thread