5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dash cam

1BADRAMLIMITED

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hello all I installed a dash cam 1-2 years ago and since then have had issues getting it to work. I will add I’ve gotten 2 replacements and confirm they work using the “cigarette lighter”

The way I wired mine up was using a usb splitter which connects behind the reverse mirror on the windshield. (picture below is the splitter used)
IMG_7892.png
The camera worked flawlessly for a few months but i assumed the heat cooked it and broke it. I’ve tried a new camera in the winter and a new one today.

The dimming function to my mirror still works and gets power but the camera turns off and on and off/on then decides to just stay off.

Vulpes

Reaction score
Hello all I installed a dash cam 1-2 years ago and since then have had issues getting it to work. I will add I’ve gotten 2 replacements and confirm they work using the “cigarette lighter”

The way I wired mine up was using a usb splitter which connects behind the reverse mirror on the windshield. (picture below is the splitter used)
View attachment 184344
The camera worked flawlessly for a few months but i assumed the heat cooked it and broke it. I’ve tried a new camera in the winter and a new one today.

The dimming function to my mirror still works and gets power but the camera turns off and on and off/on then decides to just stay off.
Funny, my dash cam just started the on/off/on/off/on/off, turns out my rear camera has died and caused this malfunction.

From the interwebs, it sounds like the majority of the cameras that decide to go on/off/on/off/on/off by themselves are caused by the SD cards. Try reformatting the SD card on a computer, or try a different SD card. Allegedly these dash cams are rough on SD cards. Some manufacturers even recommend replacing them every 6 months.

1BADRAMLIMITED

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Funny, my dash cam just started the on/off/on/off/on/off, turns out my rear camera has died and caused this malfunction.

From the interwebs, it sounds like the majority of the cameras that decide to go on/off/on/off/on/off by themselves are caused by the SD cards. Try reformatting the SD card on a computer, or try a different SD card. Allegedly these dash cams are rough on SD cards. Some manufacturers even recommend replacing them every 6 months.
I appreciate the info!

FLiPMaRC

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I only use "Endurance" sd cards on my dash cams. The current sd card on my truck is 3 years old. I try to do a reformat as often as I remember to reformat.

1BADRAMLIMITED

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So here is the extent of my trouble shooting this far… I have a new dash cam fresh out the box that I’ve powered on utilizing cigarette lighter and used existing memory card in it with no issues at all.

Now the same sd card which I have formatted and tested in working order placed in the old dash cam. Turned truck on, dash cam booted up then went black.

I then switched the cameras out and same issue the problem does not involve the sd card from my testing. It has something to do with the splitter or reverse mirror plug in.

I can take the old dash cam which I assumed was fried by the sun and power it using the cigarette lighter plug and works as it should but only having issues when I’m powering it from the plug behind the reverse mirror. @Vulpes

Vulpes

Reaction score
So here is the extent of my trouble shooting this far… I have a new dash cam fresh out the box that I’ve powered on utilizing cigarette lighter and used existing memory card in it with no issues at all.

Now the same sd card which I have formatted and tested in working order placed in the old dash cam. Turned truck on, dash cam booted up then went black.

I then switched the cameras out and same issue the problem does not involve the sd card from my testing. It has something to do with the splitter or reverse mirror plug in.

I can take the old dash cam which I assumed was fried by the sun and power it using the cigarette lighter plug and works as it should but only having issues when I’m powering it from the plug behind the reverse mirror. @Vulpes
Sounds like you identified the cause, the power source (USB splitter from mirror) is causing the issue. Would you consider hardwiring it into the fuse panel under the steering wheel?

1BADRAMLIMITED

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sounds like you identified the cause, the power source (USB splitter from mirror) is causing the issue. Would you consider hardwiring it into the fuse panel under the steering wheel?
I wouldn’t be opposed to doing it but what’s a good fuse location to tap into?

Do you know of a good dash cam hard wire harness?

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Last edited:

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score

So even with the splitter you pictured, you still need an adapter that plugs into the mirror harness.

Also, are you powering two USB devices from behind the mirror, or just one? If only ones why the splitter?

1BADRAMLIMITED

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So even with the splitter you pictured, you still need an adapter that plugs into the mirror harness.

Also, are you powering two USB devices from behind the mirror, or just one? If only ones why the splitter?
I think I shared the wrong connector used. The cable I have is similar to the one FITCAMX uses.

I unplugged the oe plug from the mirror plugged into the new harness I bought off Amazon then connected my mirror back and plugged the camera into the other split in the harness.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I think I shared the wrong connector used. The cable I have is similar to the one FITCAMX uses.

I unplugged the oe plug from the mirror plugged into the new harness I bought off Amazon then connected my mirror back and plugged the camera into the other split in the harness.
Okay, yeah. It might be that adapter. I used one for a while, until I swapped to the Fitcamx. Never had any issues with it though.

Vulpes

Reaction score

This post has the key on and constant locations in the fuse panel below the steering wheel. I'm using F33 and F66 with fuse taps.

Locations in the photo below.

1717685227252.png

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I tapped in to F54.
Installed this, VIOFO specific, not sure if it would work with your dash-cam.
https://www.amazon.com/VIOFO-A129-H...36740451a3313fdd9b086dc799d8902f&gad_source=1
Only use it when on vacations, for everyday use I piggyback into Uniden R3 cigarette lighter adapter.
I used this to install my new VIOFO dash cam yesterday. I used F54A and B for both key on and constant power. Haven't tested the constant power to see if the parking setting works yet, but I was able to fashion a small spade connector for the constant power wire on B and connect it next to my fuse tap on F54A.

1BADRAMLIMITED

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Been using that adapter for about two years now with a Viofo A119 V3.
Yea I’m not 100% sure it’s the harness or an issue with the auto dim?

Does anyone know if having a tinted windshield interferes with the sensors or cameras on the windshield?

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Does anyone know if having a tinted windshield interferes with the sensors or cameras on the windshield?
The tint on the windshield should go around the mirror housing, which is where everything is stored. My 80% ceramic tint doesn't affect my dash cam though.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Aitodim has nothing to do with power to the mirror

Users who are viewing this thread