5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dash Cam Recommendations

MarvsAMartian

Reaction score
I've been looking into installing a dash cam and just wanted to do some research/ask for opinions. The one I've had my eye on is this one from APEMAN from Amazon that's got solid reviews. Curious if anyone has it currently installed? If so, were you able to hardwire it? I can't tell how/where it draws power other than it mentioning being plugged into a power outlet but its unclear to me. Maybe I missed it in the Q&A section of the reviews. I primarily want one for when I travel into the city (which isn't often) so I'm not necessarily looking to spend too much. This cam looks to be great bang for my buck so any info/help would be appreciated.

Carlos.33193

Reaction score

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Viofo A129

Has a super capacitor, won't die in the heat.

I've used to run a rexing V1P. It's a great dual camera set. The battery dies, literally explodes from the heat. When it goes the camera won't work. I've replaced it twice. Their support is good and they'll send you parts for free. But a lot of hassle and you need to be able to solder.

Viofo also makes a 4k version now as well.

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'll second Viofo A129 Duo; I love mine and it has been super reliable even in the Florida heat. One thing about that Apeman is the mounting. I had a Vantrue T2 with a similar mount type and absolutely hated it. You would think the adjustable mounts are nice; but they suck. Go with the direct Windshield mount types like Viofo A129, Rexing, or Street Guardian. The direct Windshield mount doesn't look ideal when you are shopping; but trust me, it is the way to go. Heck, I'll just go ahead and say this....there is no way that you will beat Viofo A129 Duo in terms of quality, price, design, reliability, and value.

MValdez

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have this one here, https://www.amazon.ca/Rexing-Dashbo...9Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=, Rexing V1P. I bought their "smart hardwire kit" also and tied to the fuse box underneath the steering column, it turns on/off automatically with the ignition and also has a shock sensor that records 20 seconds when the car is parked and a shock is detected. No complaints.
I purchased The Rexing V1P as well and wired mine the same also. Works Great. Haven't had any issues.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I run this one, but haven't mounted the rear camera as I haven't decided if I want anything in my rear window.

And I use this for power. No wires need routed down pillars as comes on/off with ignition

Begrenzt

Reaction score
I purchased the viofo 129 from Blackboxmycar.com. They were essentially the same price as Amazon but provided stellar customer service.
suggest you go to their website and check out their comparisons.

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'm in the minority here, but I like my Thinkware cameras. They are a bit on the pricey side compared to some, but I've had 0 issues with the past six I've purchased. I started off with their 1080 quality cameras back before 4K was really a thing, and now am doing their 2K cameras, as they go on sale semi-frequently for half of the 4K cameras.

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am on my third DashCam. I started out with a GS5000, that turned out to be a fake.
Moved to a FineVu CR500HD. Which worked great for years until the small internal
battery gave up the Ghost. I am currently using a Street Guardian SG9663DC Dual Camera
in my 2008 Big Horn.

I am looking at the Street Guardian SG9663DC Pro+ or the Viofo 129 Dual Camera for my
2021 Laramie.

You can also look at the Dashcamtalk.com Forums for comparisons.

Malodave

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am on my third DashCam. I started out with a GS5000, that turned out to be a fake.
Moved to a FineVu CR500HD. Which worked great for years until the small internal
battery gave up the Ghost. I am currently using a Street Guardian SG9663DC Dual Camera
in my 2008 Big Horn.

I am looking at the Street Guardian SG9663DC Pro+ or the Viofo 129 Dual Camera for my
2021 Laramie.

You can also look at the Dashcamtalk.com Forums for comparisons.

Malodave
Both the Street Guardian and the Viofo are great choices. When I was shopping I went with Viofo only because it was less expensive. If you look closely at the two, it almost appears they are the same.....they probably both come from the same assembly line in China.

Spaz86

Reaction score
I use vava myself. Front and back. Never had any issues

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread