5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dash Cam Power?

Dikky

Reaction score
I'm wondering where is the best place to plug in a dashcam. Right now I'm just plugging into the socket on top of the dash but it's always powered so I have to unplug everytime I park. I know I could just get a longer cord and use a different outlet but I'd like to get some ideas from other guys who have done it....🙂

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
You could flip the fuse for that outlet so it is controlled by the ignition and isn't always on. There are posts on here about it. Should be able to search for it.

firemedic10584

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Buy a fuse tap and a hardwire kit for a dash cam. There are multiple fuses in the fuse panel under the dash that only get power when the truck is on or constant hot, whichever you prefer. Very easy to do.

DBrickey

Reaction score
You could flip the fuse for that outlet so it is controlled by the ignition and isn't always on. There are posts on here about it. Should be able to search for it.
went to the dealer service department to see about switching the outlet from continuous to controlled by ignition and they told me it would be exspensive since they would have to take out the dash. Glad I joined this blog and found out that a 10 minute fuse switch job could do the trick. very happy now that I don't have to rely on my memory to unplug the dash cam all the time.

Camelot

Reaction score
The fuse box is under the dash / drivers feet, two screws.. Easiest car I ever wired a dash cam to.

Amerinamese

Reaction score
Buy this and get switched USB power right from the rearview mirror. Most dashcams use micro or mini USB for power. No need to run wires all over or do the fuse tap.
Does this method allow for "park mode" or is it just for power when the truck is turned on?

Dame

Reaction score
I havent reinstalled mine since getting the 5th Gen, but was planning on doing similar to what I had done on my 4th Gen, use a long USB power cable, tuck into headliner then down passenger A pillar, remove the plastic trim, tuck it all under there, then under passenger footwell into one of the USB C ports in the console.

Users who are viewing this thread