5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

dash cam hardwire ?

moparleo51

Reaction score
okay so i hard wired my dash cam , i used the fuse locations that where recommended here o the site. Fuses - Constant 12V is F33, switched 12V is F66. everything works fine, but after a week installed my ambient temp sensor read 81 when its like 42 out. so when i took my truck in on Saturday they pulled the code and replaced my sensor, after driving it for the time recommend it started working but went right back to a high temp of 70, i took it back and they said maybe its a bad new sensor, so they will check it again when i take it back for the exhaust manifold that's leaking on my passenger side to be replaced . so i then get into my truck this morning heading to my dealer service appointment and my start stop pops up un available now and has an ! after its icon (A)! so when i got there i told them about this too. they said it sometimes does this when the auxiliary battery is low. my question i guess do you believe there any conflict with this? everything is hooked up correctly and it has the box to stop battery drainage with it set at 11.8 volts. i just don't want them telling me this is the cause. i had electrical gremlin they had to trace last April for my sirus and nav. found out it was a kinked wire between the radio and the floor kick panel. took 1 month for them to figure that out. man i1m now wondering if i should get rid of the ram ,but prices are to crazy right now on a new truck. thanks for letting me vent.

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I haven't had any issues with my camera wired in the same fuses. What I did differently was I disabled the camera monitoring while parked. I had all sorts of issues on a BMW when I originally installed the camera and the battery voltage dropped below 12V. After I fixed that drain issue, I never had a problem again. Not saying that's your issue, but it could be.

Spokes

Reaction score
11.8v is a little low and will put more stress on the 48v (aux) battery. I have my dash cam plugged into the one USB port in the center stack, it stays live 24/7. I've let my truck sit for 4-5 days and it fired right up no issues. Unplug the dash cam for a couple days and see if your issue is resolved. Do you do a lot of short start/stop drives? If so maybe take the truck out for a nice 1hr+ highway drive and let the main 12v battery get nice and full.

moparleo51

Reaction score
thanks for the info, finally got the sensor part fixed, it ended up being a faulty door module . as for the battery, i don`t drive far or longer than a hour usually so i do beleive that could be the reason. if i put a battery tender on my truck a few times a week would that keep the aux battery charged?

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
Doesn’t seem like an issue with the dashcam to me but the timing does seem weirdly coincidental. My camera is wired up the same way and I have parking mode on always and I’ve left my truck for over a week and never had any issues or low battery. So as long as the actual cam is working how it’s supposed to it shouldn’t be related to that

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/