5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dash bubbles

L50

Reaction score
Has anyone had this problems with their 2019 Ram Limited? If so , what did you do to fix it?

Attachments

• DA31FFE3-ABCD-4696-9D8F-C7780B901D2A.jpeg
    DA31FFE3-ABCD-4696-9D8F-C7780B901D2A.jpeg
    110.2 KB · Views: 111
  • A74A8C8D-AF94-415C-B23D-D404821A09D3.jpeg
    A74A8C8D-AF94-415C-B23D-D404821A09D3.jpeg
    108.3 KB · Views: 116
  • BC2FF642-3AB8-4389-B07C-E96A0C8EB957.jpeg
    BC2FF642-3AB8-4389-B07C-E96A0C8EB957.jpeg
    87.5 KB · Views: 105
  • 5618A23A-C31B-4745-9159-A09E3B99E890.jpeg
    5618A23A-C31B-4745-9159-A09E3B99E890.jpeg
    106.1 KB · Views: 110

RedFred

Reaction score
I own a Corvette, and see this a lot on the Corvette forum with the cars equipped with the leather dash. I didn't know it was a RAM issue also. Basically the fix is removing the dash and either replacing it with another or trying to re glue the leather. Dealer fix will most likely be to replace the dash. When cleaning, do you use any chemicals or cleaners on the dash? Chances are something seeped through and the glue holding the leather let up.

speedracernc

Reaction score
I have had it in my ram and corvette twice. The only fix I have found that lasts is to have it replaced with vinyl. Leather will do the same thing over and over. Its awful to put leather on a dash. It happens to just about every vehicle with a leather dash.

RedFred

Reaction score
I have had it in my ram and corvette twice. The only fix I have found that lasts is to have it replaced with vinyl. Leather will do the same thing over and over. Its awful to put leather on a dash. It happens to just about every vehicle with a leather dash.

Speedracernc, some people have this issue happen over and over, and others claim to never have it happen. In your case, is there anything that you are doing to the dash, cleaning wise or other, that you can think of that may lead to your leather becoming unglued? I'm not blaming you, just trying to think of measures to prevent this from happening. I have heard theories to never clean the dash with anything other than a slightly damp cloth to wipe it down. Do you use anything more than a simple wipe down to clean the dash?

jjklongisland

Reaction score
Same issue with my 2019 Longhorn. I messaged the "RamCares" person that comments on some of these posts asking her to DM her but so far no response.

Sunny vs not sunny

Attachments

• dash 6.jpg
    dash 6.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 48
  • dash 5.jpg
    dash 5.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 48
  • dash 3.jpg
    dash 3.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 48
  • dash 4.jpg
    dash 4.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 48
  • dash 1.jpg
    dash 1.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 42
  • dash 2.jpg
    dash 2.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 47

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
This is a somewhat common issue. There are several threads about this. It's covered under the 3/36 factory warranty, but if you're beyond the 3/36 you're probably on your own to fix it. A few people who's factory warranties expired have had this cost at least partially good willed by their dealership. So it's good to at least ask, if you have a good relationship with your dealer. It's a pretty crappy deal for this to happen on trucks that are 3 to 4 years old. I'm keeping an eye on the wife's 2020 Limited. She still has about 8 months left on her warranty. So far there's no sign of any bubbling.

Reactions: L50

speedracernc

Reaction score
Speedracernc, some people have this issue happen over and over, and others claim to never have it happen. In your case, is there anything that you are doing to the dash, cleaning wise or other, that you can think of that may lead to your leather becoming unglued? I'm not blaming you, just trying to think of measures to prevent this from happening. I have heard theories to never clean the dash with anything other than a slightly damp cloth to wipe it down. Do you use anything more than a simple wipe down to clean the dash?
I believe it is a question of climate and color of interior. My interior in my Ram and both Corvettes is black. Exterior of ram is also black. The extreme heat causes the glue to release and the leather to shrink. If you look at all forums of high end sports cars the use leather there is bubbling. A quick google search of bubbling leather shows forums from BMW, Mercedes, Volvo, Ram, Jaguar, Maserati and Corvette and I am sure more.
I didn't use any cleaners that I can remember other than wiping it down with a damp cloth.

The upholsterer that I have used for a variety of jobs tells me he sees it on every make that uses a leather dash. He always recommends to replace with vinyl so it never happens again.
In my C8 corvette it happened with less than 5k miles. Its mostly garaged but just a few days out in the sun and it bubbled. GM replaced it for free but it likely will just happen again.

RedFred

Reaction score
Speedracernc, thanks for the reply. I know this is an issue with many cars, but didn't know it was happening to the RAM 1500 also. I was considering a LongHorn or Limited trim. A little disheartening to hear this as a potential issue to deal with if I go with either of those trim levels.

Mandride

Reaction score
Same issue with my 2019 Longhorn. I messaged the "RamCares" person that comments on some of these posts asking her to DM her but so far no response.

Sunny vs not sunny
I have the exact same problem, Vehicle was 100 miles out of its 36k warranty, and the dealership told me no go. They will not do anything about it. I have a MAxcare plan, but they say it falls under the upholstery category which isn't covered.

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
It's not just a leather thing. I have an '04 Lincoln and the leather dash looks brand new. Harsh cleaners maybe but automotive leather is pretty well sealed.

I leave a nice protective coating of dust on the dash of my Ram. Shields it from UV rays in the summer and insulates it in the winter. In another year it will soak up minor spills so it protects from water damage too! 😎

RedFred

Reaction score
I keep my cars long term and this makes me nervous. I have a Corvette and this was an issue when I was shopping also. I stayed away from models with the wrapped leather dash after reading so many horror stories. Now I'm starting to think maybe I should stick to searching for a Laramie model, instead of a LongHorn or Limited, to potentially avoid this issue. I do really like the upgraded interiors though.

jjklongisland

Reaction score
I have the exact same problem, Vehicle was 100 miles out of its 36k warranty, and the dealership told me no go. They will not do anything about it. I have a MAxcare plan, but they say it falls under the upholstery category which isn't covered.
Wow, 100 miles past warranty. What d@#$s

SD Rebel

Reaction score
If out of your factory warranty, then a good local auto upholstery shop will get you fixed up. some have converted to vinyl to prevent future leather shrinkage.

Bradl911

Reaction score
Has anyone had this problems with their 2019 Ram Limited? If so , what did you do to fix it?
Yes mine just started of course not covered under extended warranty so 1100 labor and 700 for dash. I’ll drive it bubbled for that.

BowDown

Reaction score
I own a Corvette, and see this a lot on the Corvette forum with the cars equipped with the leather dash. I didn't know it was a RAM issue also. Basically the fix is removing the dash and either replacing it with another or trying to re glue the leather. Dealer fix will most likely be to replace the dash. When cleaning, do you use any chemicals or cleaners on the dash? Chances are something seeped through and the glue holding the leather let up.

I've not had the issue on my Z06 but I have an Apsis full dash and the car is garaged. My truck hasn't really had the issue as I had the windshield tinted with ceramic IR tint to block UV which is what I believe is actually breaking down the adhesive. I had my corvettes door panels redone in leather and the upholsterer told me that UV light, wrong adhesive and high heat is usually are what causes this.

I say my truck hasn't really had the issue because only the gauge pod cover has had an issue and I fixed that fairly easily

OP is likely going to have to pay for the repair then I'd get the windshield tinted and or use a sunshade any time the truck is parked in the sun. I have tint and I still use the a sunshade

BowDown

Reaction score
Speedracernc, thanks for the reply. I know this is an issue with many cars, but didn't know it was happening to the RAM 1500 also. I was considering a LongHorn or Limited trim. A little disheartening to hear this as a potential issue to deal with if I go with either of those trim levels.

I wouldn't be disheartened or dissuaded by this, my truck has 67k miles on it and my dash is perfect (knock on wood). I've only wiped it down with a damp cloth or a tack cloth and only last week applied a very very light coat of adams leather conditioner to it. My gauge pod has been a different story but that's an easy fix and looks perfect. The issue seems to be hit and miss but can be mitigated by windshield tint and or a sun shade

Users who are viewing this thread