5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dash board Range totally screwed up

Bugs

Reaction score
My Ram 1500 Limited is 3 weeks old, and have had the problems with the dash board range since i first got it.
just some examples
1) I fill the truck up with gas, and the range shows say 450 miles. I get on the interstate and reset my MPG gage, and drive 2 hours at 70 MPH... My Range shows 400 miles ??????
2) I see that my Range shows 290 miles and I shut my truck off. The next time i start the truck the Range shows 220 miles (or it could show a higher number)
3) The low fuel light comes on and the Range shows 75 miles

What have i done to fix the problem
1) Pushed the "Blue Button" about 12 times........ all i get is "reboot the system" then go see your local dealer....... what a waste of time
2) I have seen 3 different dealers about this problem .......... No dealer knows what is going on .

anyone have had this problem or has had it fixed

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The range is constantly adjusting based on your current driving. Not sure what formula it uses but I see the same with mine. After hard driving my range drops pretty low but then hours of easy driving and it barely decreases. It’s taking the current mpg and then adjusting the range.

Does that seem like what your experiencing?

Trippi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I see up and down numbers too but yeah seems like it adjusts based on driving habits. I will say I feel like I have gotten my truck down to maybe 100 miles or less on the gauge but have only gotten 30 gallons of gas added to it twice. I have a 33 gallon tank...I have no idea what it takes to get 33 or even 30 gallons added. I fill up every time I stop and the range usually resets at 577 miles

Bugs

Reaction score
The range is constantly adjusting based on your current driving. Not sure what formula it uses but I see the same with mine. After hard driving my range drops pretty low but then hours of easy driving and it barely decreases. It’s taking the current mpg and then adjusting the range.

Does that seem like what your experiencing?
Yes, but that does not seam right, my ford adjusted with the average MPG

6of36

Reaction score
I see up and down numbers too but yeah seems like it adjusts based on driving habits. I will say I feel like I have gotten my truck down to maybe 100 miles or less on the gauge but have only gotten 30 gallons of gas added to it twice. I have a 33 gallon tank...I have no idea what it takes to get 33 or even 30 gallons added. I fill up every time I stop and the range usually resets at 577 miles
If it says 100 to empty, you still have more than 5 gallons of gas in it. On the other hand, even if you run out of gas, there is still a couple gallons the pick up can't reach. The pick up doesn't touch the bottom of the tank.

cskindt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You can always carry a jerrican with a few gallons of gasoline. Run your truck empty and just add a gallon or two to get you to the gasoline station. Then fill it up and see how many gallons you added. The pump fill-up plus the measured amount you poured in from the can should be close to your gasoline tank's full volume.

23RAM

Reaction score
1) I fill the truck up with gas, and the range shows say 450 miles. I get on the interstate and reset my MPG gage, and drive 2 hours at 70 MPH... My Range shows 400 miles ??????
As mentioned, range is calculated based on your mileage and fuel level. It seems to be working properly.
2) I see that my Range shows 290 miles and I shut my truck off. The next time i start the truck the Range shows 220 miles (or it could show a higher number)
If you park on a hill, the fuel sender can provide different readings to the computer. I've had that happen where my range increased or decreased based on how much fuel the computer "thinks" is left in the tank. Once driving on level roads, it corrects itself.
3) The low fuel light comes on and the Range shows 75 miles
That sounds about right...but you probably have 100 miles left. The light is just there to remind you to refuel, not calculate exactly when you'll run out of fuel.

Last edited:

Redz72

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My fuel light kicks on at 50 “miles to empty”. Not a chance in hell I’m gonna actually try to travel 50 miles before filling up. These are all guesstimates that change on the fly.

Threesuns1

Ram Guru
Reaction score
When I even get close to 100 miles to empty the most I can put in is less than 27-28 gals. After calculating MPG and miles to empty I always seem to come up with 3 gals would be left in tank.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If it says 100 to empty, you still have more than 5 gallons of gas in it. On the other hand, even if you run out of gas, there is still a couple gallons the pick up can't reach. The pick up doesn't touch the bottom of the tank.
Not true. The puck up does a pretty good job of getting to bottom of tank. I've put 25 gallons in my 26 gallon tank. If what you said was true, I'd never be able to get more than 24 gallons in the tank.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My fuel light kicks on at 50 “miles to empty”. Not a chance in hell I’m gonna actually try to travel 50 miles before filling up. These are all guesstimates that change on the fly.
When I even get close to 100 miles to empty the most I can put in is less than 27-28 gals. After calculating MPG and miles to empty I always seem to come up with 3 gals would be left in tank.
You can go for a while, even after the DTE hits 0. I always push mine at least once so I know how fa u cab push it in an emergency. I've driven 30 miles after the DTE went to "low" and still only took 24-25 gallons in my 26 gallon tank

Dewey

Reaction score
I’ve gone down to zero and can’t get much more than 30 gallons in my 33 gallon tank. That’s fine by me and good to know there’s a bit of reserve.

6of36

Reaction score
Not true. The puck up does a pretty good job of getting to bottom of tank. I've put 25 gallons in my 26 gallon tank. If what you said was true, I'd never be able to get more than 24 gallons in the tank.
In all actuality, the tanks are blow molded plastic, and every one will hold a little different. I have 6 of the same brand 5 gallon cans, and one holds well over 1/10th of a gallon more than the one that holds the least. One truck tank could easily hold a gallon or more than another.

Users who are viewing this thread