5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dash and UConnect Brightness

Mudstone

Reaction score

https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/screen-brightness.7763/post-410445
This was odd?​

Daytime driving, wipers set to intermittent.​

Instrument lights on, then after about 1 minute, all lights and 12" panel turns off.​

I turn wipers off, lights come back on, back to intermitent and after a minute, all lights off, can't see spedometer etc....​

Does this sound right? Any comments are appreciated, thanks​

jdefoe0424

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Are the wipers moving? There's a setting to automatically turn the lights on when the wipers come on, it's a visibility/safety thing. Of course when the lights come on the brightness of the dash and uconnect may change depending on the setting of the brightness of it on the thumbwheels next to the light switch.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score

https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/screen-brightness.7763/post-410445

This was odd?​

Daytime driving, wipers set to intermittent.​

Instrument lights on, then after about 1 minute, all lights and 12" panel turns off.​

I turn wipers off, lights come back on, back to intermitent and after a minute, all lights off, can't see spedometer etc....​

Does this sound right? Any comments are appreciated, thanks​

You're talking about the dash lights turning off, or just dimming? If they're turning off then no, this does not sound right. Your dash lights should never turn off while driving. Take it in to the dealership, there's something wrong.

If they're just dimming then it could have to do with the ambient light being right at the threshold of being just dark enough for the truck to think it's dark outside and dim them, and just bright enough to make the truck think it's daylight and make them full bright again. That happens on my truck when it's overcast and raining, and is normal operation.

Mudstone

Reaction score
You're talking about the dash lights turning off, or just dimming? If they're turning off then no, this does not sound right. Your dash lights should never turn off while driving. Take it in to the dealership, there's something wrong.

If they're just dimming then it could have to do with the ambient light being right at the threshold of being just dark enough for the truck to think it's dark outside and dim them, and just bright enough to make the truck think it's daylight and make them full bright again. That happens on my truck when it's overcast and raining, and is normal operation.
The instrument cluster and 12" screen went completely black. Can I re-create?
I'll do the same thing later today and see.
Thanks for the input!

piening2150

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's likely not going off, it's dimming with wipers on (and you have them set too dim to see in the daytime). There's a setting in Uconnect for 'headlights on with wipers'. If that box is checked the dash lights also dim when the lights come on, no matter if it's still light outside or not.

You can manually override the dash lights with the dimmer switch by turning it all the way up till it clicks over to max brightness.

I don't understand why FCA screwed up this setting in newer vehicles. Both my '20 Ram and my wife's '20 Jeep dim the dash with wipers regardless if it's still light outside and it makes it hard to see the dash. Yet my old '17 Charger handled this situation fine. All three vehicles have the photosensor needed to make appropriate adjustments, but only the oldest is programmed correctly for the wipers on during daylight scenario (which is not exactly uncommon) and leaves the dash at full brightness.

You can manually turn your headlights on during the day to see if the dash is dimming to 'black' same as with the wipers on or not.

Last edited:

Mudstone

Reaction score
It's likely not going off, it's dimming with wipers on (and you have them set too dim to see in the daytime). There's a setting in Uconnect for 'headlights on with wipers'. If that box is checked the dash lights also dim when the lights come on, no matter if it's still light outside or not.

You can manually override the dash lights with the dimmer switch by turning it all the way up till it clicks over to max brightness.

I don't understand why FCA screwed up this setting in newer vehicles. Both my '20 Ram and my wife's '20 Jeep dim the dash with wipers regardless if it's still light outside and it makes it hard to see the dash. Yet my old '17 Charger handled this situation fine. All three vehicles have the photosensor needed to make appropriate adjustments, but only the oldest is programmed correctly for the wipers on during daylight scenario (which is not exactly uncommon) and leaves the dash at full brightness.

You can manually turn your headlights on during the day to see if the dash is dimming to 'black' same as with the wipers on or not.
OK, I'll ensure the dimmer switch is on full max. I'll search the Uconnect setting, I don't think I need that checked, thanks!

jdefoe0424

Ram Guru
Reaction score
More often than not I left my dash light dimmer switch at max to avoid the scenario that you're explaining, if I did end up driving at night I would just reach down and click it off of max brightness.
The stupid part is if you take the dash dimmer off of the max "click"...the brightness gets cut in half, even with the headlights off...and then it's nearly impossible to see the dash and uconnect screens in bright daylight.

FastBlackRam

Reaction score
More often than not I left my dash light dimmer switch at max to avoid the scenario that you're explaining, if I did end up driving at night I would just reach down and click it off of max brightness.
The stupid part is if you take the dash dimmer off of the max "click"...the brightness gets cut in half, even with the headlights off...and then it's nearly impossible to see the dash and uconnect screens in bright daylight.
That is the stupid part. If they are not going to do the auto dimming correctly during the day, why not give us manual dimming with values in between 50% and 100%? C'mon FCA!!!!

Mudstone

Reaction score
That is the stupid part. If they are not going to do the auto dimming correctly during the day, why not give us manual dimming with values in between 50% and 100%? C'mon FCA!!!!
Thank you all for replying. It was a problem between "the driver" and the instrument controls. The dimmer was turned all the way down so when the lights came on, it went dark. I have been doing some night driving and full bright lights up the night sky!

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
Thank you all for replying. It was a problem between "the driver" and the instrument controls. The dimmer was turned all the way down so when the lights came on, it went dark. I have been doing some night driving and full bright lights up the night sky!
Yes, it does. My first week of ownership, I was dying to go somewhere. On the spur of the moment, the wife and I made a dash to Las Vegas. It wasn;t too bad until we got past Barstow. It was dark and moonless, not a lot of headlights, and no streetlights or billboards. I had to turn down the dash because it was too bright!

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Exactly! It is also either too bright or too dim at twilight.
It is coded to the software/fw?. I changed the dimmer resistance values to no avail. :(

Last edited:

2bigalow

Reaction score
Yup, completely agree. This is my number one complaint with this truck.
Full max setting is too bright at night and too dim when set below max. Come on FCA, this is an easy fix!

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The dimmer was the same on my 2017, also The same on my in-laws 2015 Town and Country. Somebody at Chrysler likes the setup

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If I'm on a nighttime road trip I will find a XM station I prefer and literally hit the screen off button to avoid any extra light in my face.

Users who are viewing this thread