5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dark Dunes Front Skid Plate and Bumper.

nhmrrs15

Reaction score
I have been looking for a low-profile "prerunner style" front bumper for my 2020 Ram Rebel. I stubbled across the Dark Dunes Rebel build which has a very interesting front bumper/skid plate but I couldn't find it anywhere. I am wondering if anyone knows what it is or if it is a custom piece.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-02-22 at 1.54.10 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-02-22 at 1.54.10 PM.png
    881.1 KB · Views: 204

RockYacht2020

Reaction score
At first glance, looks like it's only the skid plate with the OEM bumper. Likely a custom job, as I've not seen any traffic on that one.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Looks like some sort of a cover over the factory bumper with a skid plate.

Could always get one like mine. he doesn't make a skid plate for it to go from bumper to cross member, but would t be hard to fab one up. PXL_20230212_183142777.jpg

Derek Dredger

Reaction score
Hiya, I,am the owner of Dark Dune and yes it's a custom fab I had made. It's actually a 3 piece set that includes a bash plate up front and 2 separate skid plates underneath. Front bash plate is 6mm and skids are 4mm. All made from mild steel (aluminium bends easily). Picture attached. Was looking to mass fabricate if there's enough interest?

Attachments

• 20211121_085600-01.jpeg
    20211121_085600-01.jpeg
    141.7 KB · Views: 156

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hiya, I,am the owner of Dark Dune and yes it's a custom fab I had made. It's actually a 3 piece set that includes a bash plate up front and 2 separate skid plates underneath. Front bash plate is 6mm and skids are 4mm. All made from mild steel (aluminium bends easily). Picture attached. Was looking to mass fabricate if there's enough interest?
Being Rebel your market would be limited to rebels for the front portion. The rear one looks kind of like the Skeerdykat one they market as helping prevent cat theft. Price would be a factor, but you'd definitely get some orders.

Waterfowler41

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just dropping in to bug you about this lol. Since bumpers are few and far between for our rebels, I for one would be down with a DD skid plate kit. Speaking from experience the build quality on your front light brackets is top notch, could only image how these would pan out!

ayoslickxd

Ram Guru
Reaction score
i have a different bumper but would be interested in some stuff fabbed 🤣

Belvedere

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Being Rebel your market would be limited to rebels for the front portion. The rear one looks kind of like the Skeerdykat one they market as helping prevent cat theft. Price would be a factor, but you'd definitely get some orders.
Should work for TRX too. Not greatly increasing the market, but...

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
do it! now it's the race between you, shift-n-grins, and Dethloff to see who comes up with it first.

if you can make the front (bumper to rad. support), engine, tranny, and t-case skid (4 pieces)

Waterfowler41

Ram Guru
Reaction score
do it! now it's the race between you, shift-n-grins, and Dethloff to see who comes up with it first.

if you can make the front (bumper to rad. support), engine, tranny, and t-case skid (4 pieces)
Unlikely to be DD, no matter how much begging and pleading I do, not looking like we'll see a skid plate from them.

In a perfect world, I'd love to see a skid plate developed (or purchased from DD) and handed over to a team who can produce it at scale. With how efficient those 3D scanners are now, once the original design is done and vetted, a company with the resources could probably knock these out pretty fast.

Aftermarket bumper selection is meh for these Rebels. The idea of a skid plate to improve front end/undercarriage durability with the added benefit of increasing ground clearance (looks like a flatter skid plate would net us 1-2" of additional clearance) is pretty rad. Oh well, a man can dream...

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Unlikely to be DD, no matter how much begging and pleading I do, not looking like we'll see a skid plate from them.

In a perfect world, I'd love to see a skid plate developed (or purchased from DD) and handed over to a team who can produce it at scale. With how efficient those 3D scanners are now, once the original design is done and vetted, a company with the resources could probably knock these out pretty fast.

Aftermarket bumper selection is meh for these Rebels. The idea of a skid plate to improve front end/undercarriage durability with the added benefit of increasing ground clearance (looks like a flatter skid plate would net us 1-2" of additional clearance) is pretty rad. Oh well, a man can dream...
Might be worth someone's time to have a local fab shop make something for a template to do just what you say. Can work out a deal with whatever shop you find to actually make them with royalties or something

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score

you know what's funny?
I actually thought about doing this myself but I lack the knowledge of 3D scanning, CAD, or making templates (HA!)
I do know places that I can get them produced but at the same time, it wouldn't make financial sense if I can sell a certain numbers to justify the costs and the time.

And yes, I agree bumper selection is meh for the Rebels. I left Toyota platform because it's getting too played out, but now I'm feeling like I'm spoiled by the selection of aftermarket parts for Yota platforms.

Maybe I'll get this project going not far in to the future. All it takes for me to dive into is to have one close call with a rock and I'll be all over it lol

Waterfowler41

Ram Guru
Reaction score
you know what's funny?
I actually thought about doing this myself but I lack the knowledge of 3D scanning, CAD, or making templates (HA!)
I do know places that I can get them produced but at the same time, it wouldn't make financial sense if I can sell a certain numbers to justify the costs and the time.

And yes, I agree bumper selection is meh for the Rebels. I left Toyota platform because it's getting too played out, but now I'm feeling like I'm spoiled by the selection of aftermarket parts for Yota platforms.

Maybe I'll get this project going not far in to the future. All it takes for me to dive into is to have one close call with a rock and I'll be all over it lol
Happy to help however I can.

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Happy to help however I can.
which part? The close call with rocks part? I'm gonna politely decline LOLL :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

all jokes aside I'll keep that in mind! Right now I just wanna sit in AC room and relax lol too hot to mess around with the truck when I already do it all day

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
This just popped up on Instagram from @VICE design

Users who are viewing this thread