5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DANGEROUS design flaw for dog owners

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Anyone trusting that notched hinge holding the seat up, which takes maybe 5 lbs of force to overcome, is going to hold the seat upright under hard breaking or impact must have slept through highschool physics. I can tap my brakes hard and drop both seats.

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Anyone trusting that notched hinge holding the seat up, which takes maybe 5 lbs of force to overcome, is going to hold the seat upright under hard breaking or impact must have slept through highschool physics. I can tap my brakes hard and drop both seats.
Next time you're in the dealership you should bring it up. I can do a panic stop and mine stay upright. I haven't looked at the hinge but maybe all it needs is tightening.

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Next time you're in the dealership you should bring it up. I can do a panic stop and mine stay upright. I haven't looked at the hinge but maybe all it needs is tightening.
Good feedback. Mine are both held without much tension. I assumed by the comments that they are all the same. I don't transport dogs but the gear I carry wouldn't hold up to the seat slamming down. Fortunately I have a bed cover so the bed is always an option.

Reaction score
There is actually a feature built into the seats which is supposed to prevent the cushions from falling down from the up position when in a forward heavy break or crash. You can actually "trick" this feature with the driver side seat. When the seat is in the up position, try to pull the cushion down as fast as you can. It should move some, but abruptly stop before reaching the bottom.

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There is actually a feature built into the seats which is supposed to prevent the cushions from falling down from the up position when in a forward heavy break or crash. You can actually "trick" this feature with the driver side seat. When the seat is in the up position, try to pull the cushion down as fast as you can. It should move some, but abruptly stop before reaching the bottom.
So it has an inertia lock. Good to know. Not sure why mine have slammed down before. Maybe it wasn't fully up.

Reaction score
So it has an inertia lock. Good to know. Not sure why mine have slammed down before. Maybe it wasn't fully up.
You're correct. It's designed to react against forward momentum when in the up position. Unfortunately it sounds like OP might have hit a vertical bump and if enough might have allowed the seat cushion to fall down. From my experience, it is pretty hard to get the cushion to fall down violently with vertical bumps.

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You're correct. It's designed to react against forward momentum when in the up position. Unfortunately it sounds like OP might have hit a vertical bump and if enough might have allowed the seat cushion to fall down. From my experience, it is pretty hard to get the cushion to fall down violently with vertical bumps.
I lifted my seats and made sure they were fully back in position and did some hard stop test. Neither slammed forward. When mine fell in the past, they must have been out of position. Looks like the inertia lock works as designed.

Reduxalicious

Reaction score
I wonder if the Quad Cab vs Crew Cab seats use a different mechanism,

I only ask because some people here are saying they've had there's fall and I've been hauling *** off road, Jumped over a few rail-road stops and have had to hit the brakes very hard (Thanks houston) and mine had stayed up.

RAM309702

Reaction score
I lifted my seats and made sure they were fully back in position and did some hard stop test. Neither slammed forward. When mine fell in the past, they must have been out of position. Looks like the inertia lock works as designed.
Same with mine, they have never dropped from hard braking. In fact my seats are up so much I have indentations on the leather from where the seat belt clicks in. This only happened once when I hit a nasty vertical dip on a road. Maybe the seats were not up all the way not sure.

RAM309702

Reaction score
You know what's more DANGEROUS than the seat hitting your lapdog? Letting your dog ride in the truck unrestrained. Guess where she's going if you get in a bad crash? Who knows, but likely dying.

Never had my seats fall down, and it seems like you're blowing this out of proportion. Either way, if you really give a **** about your dog, belt her in with a proper safety harness or use a crate so at least she won't go flying across the cabin or get ejected in a crash.

Another un-qualified keyboard warrior trying to spit wisdom. A simple “hey check this out” would have sufficed... Trust me when I say your attempt to add value was noticed.

Reaction score
I wonder if the Quad Cab vs Crew Cab seats use a different mechanism,

I only ask because some people here are saying they've had there's fall and I've been hauling *** off road, Jumped over a few rail-road stops and have had to hit the brakes very hard (Thanks houston) and mine had stayed up.

They're the same inertia lock. Though the Quad seat cushions are shorter than Crew, so the CG point can play a factor for how the seats react to certain vehicle inputs. With mass being near equal, shorter CG points from the pivot take more G's to move.

Users who are viewing this thread