5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Damaged Leather on Steering Wheel

VectorZ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So this happened to my steering wheel while it was in for an oil change. Any ideas on how to repair it?

Attachments

• 23874571-5923-42FA-AF4B-019CE2612457.jpeg
    23874571-5923-42FA-AF4B-019CE2612457.jpeg
    122.9 KB · Views: 101
  • DAAB02B9-A67A-4D73-AA27-2C091D50C601.jpeg
    DAAB02B9-A67A-4D73-AA27-2C091D50C601.jpeg
    125.2 KB · Views: 102

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
As mentioned above, the dealership or shop should replace it if you can prove they did it.

But if not, a good local auto upholstery shop can make the repair, much cheaper than replacing it. Some maybe good enough to do a spot repair, I've seen rips disappear on leather. If they can't spot repair it, you may need to have them re-cover the wheel.

To be honest, the leather on my steering wheel appears to be rather fragile and probably won't be durable unlike the leather steering wheels on just about any other vehicle I've owned. I will likely have it recovered with better material when it gets bad enough.

Or better still, do a paddle shift steering upgrade!

Last edited:

VectorZ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If oil change was at dealer then you need to have dealer replace the wheel. There’s no easy fix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I didn't notice right away so I'm not going to pursue the dealer. Just wondering what other options there are.

Peebs1021

Reaction score
I had the same thing happen on my 2015. Was under warranty and dealer replaced the steering wheel.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I had the same thing happen on my 2015. Was under warranty and dealer replaced the steering wheel.
The damage in the pictures is not a defect in the leather. It was caused by something abrading against the wheel. I have the exact same damage on my Audi steering wheel. The clip on my pocket knife rubbed against the wheel when I got out of the car one time, causing damage that looks nearly identical to that. It's not a warranty issue, and I'll be very surprised if the dealership covers it. I suppose it's worth a try, but I wouldn't have much hope in that. A replacement Limited steering wheel is expensive though, and it could be worth taking a couple hours out of your day to have it looked at.

Peebs1021

Reaction score
The damage in the pictures is not a defect in the leather. It was caused by something abrading against the wheel. I have the exact same damage on my Audi steering wheel. The clip on my pocket knife rubbed against the wheel when I got out of the car one time, causing damage that looks nearly identical to that. It's not a warranty issue, and I'll be very surprised if the dealership covers it. I suppose it's worth a try, but I wouldn't have much hope in that. A replacement Limited steering wheel is expensive though, and it could be worth taking a couple hours out of your day to have it looked at.
Mine was caused by my ring when turning the wheel. Dealer didn't have to know that though. They warrantied it out as defective with no questions asked.

LimitedGRR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I didn't notice right away so I'm not going to pursue the dealer. Just wondering what other options there are.

Try putting leather conditioner on It might soften it up a bit and hide at least some of the damage. The oils from your hands and regular use will probably wear it down a bit to be less obvious

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread