5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Daily work truck longevity?

gradywhite631

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm on my 4th Ram since 2014 with the hemi. Love these trucks. They have all served me well. Currently have 2022 1500 5.7 quad cab bighorn 4x4 w/3.21 rear. Thinking of holding onto this one since the hemi will soon no longer be available. This truck is my everything vehicle. Daily driver, work truck, and sometimes the family vehicle.

My question is I use this truck for my business and tow a 3500 lb enclosed trailer at least half the week, 9 to 10 months out of the year. I have no complaints on how I currently use this truck and it works great for me. Just curious how long it will hold up being used this way? Would I be better off with a 2500 6.4 hemi long term?

I do see myself upgrading the trailer but not by much. Maybe a 7x14 or 8x16 tandem enclosed which the truck will still handle I'm sure. Like I said I have no complaints how it currently tows. I live in NY ( long island) so no hills really.

Thanks

Last edited:

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm on my 4th Ram since 2014 with the hemi. Love these trucks. They have all served me well. Currently have 2022 1500 5.7 quad cab bighorn 4x4 w/3.21 rear. Thinking of holding onto this one since the hemi will soon no longer be available. This truck is my everything vehicle. Daily driver, work truck, and sometimes the family vehicle.

My question is I use this truck for my business and tow a 3500 lb enclosed trailer at least half the week, 9 to 10 months out of the year. I have no complaints on how I currently use this truck and it works great for me. Just curious how long it will hold up being used this way? Would I be better off with a 2500 6.4 hemi long term?

I do see myself upgrading the trailer but not by much. Maybe a 7x14 or 8x16 tandem enclosed which the truck will still handle I'm sure. Like I said I have no complaints how it currently tows. I live in NY ( long island) no so hills really.

Thanks
Well you pose a good question. I too have a 22 1500 5.7 non Etorque and I hope it lasts, because I know too that the the plain ol V8 hemi with be a prized possession in the future. Not dissing the Etorque, it has its advantages too. Mine is a 3.21 and it does OK doing everything,
definitely likes to cruise fast.

I too use mine to tow 16 ft tandem axle trailers and others, along with rough farm use, hauling wood, corn, seed, max payload, daily driver etc. I know I need a 1 ton truck actually, but I personally won’t consider a Ram HD truck until the cab is a true 5th gen or better. I do have and use a 2500 when needed (just not nearly as comfortable). Just the lack of a telescoping steering wheel in the new Ram HD trucks is enough to keep me way. I had a 2019 3500 and was very uncomfortable. The CP4 debacle was enough for me to trade it in.

I‘m currently going to use my 1500 like crazy and hope she holds up. Only time will tell.

gradywhite631

Reaction score
If I were to get a 2500 it would be more of me just wanting one vs it being necessary for what I do. Only benefit I could see is that it may hold up better down the road if I were to hold onto it where as the 1500 may fall apart quicker. Not sure I'm willing to give up the comfortable ride and fuel economy of the 1500 just yet.

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Right now, ain’t worth giving up the comfort for me. Test drive a HD. I just could not find a comfortable seat position in relation to the pedals , steering wheel and my right knee. I have no issues with the 3rd gen and older as far as seat position. In my opinion, Ram dropped the 4WD switching panel down in the way on the 4th gen without a telescoping steering wheel.

CalvinC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’d venture to guess any added maintenance costs for wear n tear on the 1500 would be less than what you’d loose going to an HD.

So financially no, I wouldn’t change anything.

If you keep up on maintenance and don’t drive like an ape I’d imagine you having good luck.

FWIW 15 years ago I pulled a 4000 lb enclosed trailer 4-5 days a week for years, typically 100 miles or more every day.

With a 98 Chevy 1500 v6 work truck.

That sucker only lasted 250k miles doing that.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I know I need a 1 ton truck actually, but I personally won’t consider a Ram HD truck until the cab is a true 5th gen or better.
It looks like 2023 are all redeisgns.
If you look on the website its showing the 1500s interior like the steering wheel and stuff.

You can get a 6.4 Laramie without eTorque

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It looks like 2023 are all redeisgns.
If you look on the website its showing the 1500s interior like the steering wheel and stuff.

You can get a 6.4 Laramie without eTorque
Nah, just a few things. But the best change is probably the redesigned power side mirrors.
In 2019 the 1500 was completely redesigned with the bigger cabs, beds, interiors etc. (5th gen).

They called the 2019 HD trucks a redesign also, but it was not as extensive and good as the 1500s.

Cummins redesign, with the bright idea of a CP4 piece of $hit. AND the HD trucks did not get the bigger cabs like the 1500s, they just made the inside look the same, but trust me, it ain’t.
They might be calling the 2023 interior a redesign, but I call BS. Lip stick on a pig with mirrors.

gradywhite631

Reaction score
I’d venture to guess any added maintenance costs for wear n tear on the 1500 would be less than what you’d loose going to an HD.

So financially no, I wouldn’t change anything.

If you keep up on maintenance and don’t drive like an ape I’d imagine you having good luck.

FWIW 15 years ago I pulled a 4000 lb enclosed trailer 4-5 days a week for years, typically 100 miles or more every day.

With a 98 Chevy 1500 v6 work truck.

That sucker only lasted 250k miles doing that.
This is what I was thinking. I'm hoping that I'm overthinking the situation I'm in and that half tons have come quite a long way and should be able to perform for quite awhile. I don't beat on my tools/equipment , but the truck does get put to use.

Currently I'm only at around 8500 miles. I tend to get rid of them around 30-40k ( I lease) but this one I may hold onto when the lease is up. I always take care of them as if I was going to own them at some point.

gradywhite631

Reaction score
Are there any weak points in these half ton powertrains? I'm aware of the exhaust manifold issues and the rare cam/lifter issues but not much else that I know of? Also from the little research I've done the 8 speed zf transmissions seem pretty strong. If I had to guess that would be the most stressed on my ram based on where I'm driving. Lots of stop and go residential driving but I do spend a fair amount on the highway as well.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Nah, just a few things. But the best change is probably the redesigned power side mirrors.
In 2019 the 1500 was completely redesigned with the bigger cabs, beds, interiors etc. (5th gen).

They called the 2019 HD trucks a redesign also, but it was not as extensive and good as the 1500s.

Cummins redesign, with the bright idea of a CP4 piece of $hit. AND the HD trucks did not get the bigger cabs like the 1500s, they just made the inside look the same, but trust me, it ain’t.
They might be calling the 2023 interior a redesign, but I call BS. Lip stick on a pig with mirrors.
I don't think I saw them call it a redesign but I did a build and I noticed it was different then when I was looking at the 2500s before I got my 2022 1500.
This is what the inside of a 2023 2500 looks like now.
1672197303526.png 1672197471238.png
Looks the same as my 2022 1500 Limited except I don't have the all digital dash.
From what I can tell it's only missing MFT, HUD, and retractable running boards like on the 1500 (it might fit anyways)
Am I missing something?

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It looks the same inside as the 1500s, and the same as my old 2019 HD, besides the digital dash. Same steering wheel etc.

But it is a smaller inside cab. Less elbow room, less everything room, and again, the lack of telescoping steering wheel makes it uncomfortable for me. Why they won’t put one in is crazy.

I think the same electric seat adjustments….. but can’t get comfortable. Someone else was complaining about the door being closer and his elbow constantly hitting it. You really won’t realize how much better the 1500 interior comforts are till you own and drive a current HD truck for a few years and then own and drive a 5th gen 1500 to compare IMO.

Trust me, I love HD trucks. I love the way they look and work. I want one badly. But until Ram puts a true 5th gen cab on, I can’t and won’t buy another one. I might have to look at GM or Ford… but not a fan of those either.

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don't think I saw them call it a redesign but I did a build and I noticed it was different then when I was looking at the 2500s before I got my 2022 1500.
This is what the inside of a 2023 2500 looks like now.
View attachment 147171 View attachment 147172
Looks the same as my 2022 1500 Limited except I don't have the all digital dash.
From what I can tell it's only missing MFT, HUD, and retractable running boards like on the 1500 (it might fit anyways)
Am I missing something?

That picture of the front seat area is for the 2500 with the hemi. I was complaining of the 4WD switching panel in the way of my right knee (I had the diesel). That panel sticks down in any configuration of truck.

Just to be clear, if you get a HD truck with the cummins or hemi, that panel will be there and it includes the rotary shifter for the hemi. In other words, the column shifter (like a normal truck on the cummins), will not do away with that panel, just has 4WD shifting.

morrpar

Reaction score
Grady,

I think the recommended max tow capacity on your configuration is about 7500-ish. So you are regularly towing about 1/2 of that capacity. Seems to me to be plenty of cushion.
I went from a gen 4 2500 to a 2022 1500 because I was not using the additional capacity. I tow from 1500 to 6500 with the 1500 and it is plenty capable.
I use my truck as a daily driver too, and I will tell you the 1/2-ton is much more enjoyable to drive than the 3/4-ton truck was. Especially long stints behind the wheel.

I at times miss the HD-ness, you know, too much is just enough...

I think in your case the 1500 is more than up to the task and will last a long time with proper maintenance and operation.

Cheers!

gradywhite631

Reaction score
Grady,

I think the recommended max tow capacity on your configuration is about 7500-ish. So you are regularly towing about 1/2 of that capacity. Seems to me to be plenty of cushion.
I went from a gen 4 2500 to a 2022 1500 because I was not using the additional capacity. I tow from 1500 to 6500 with the 1500 and it is plenty capable.
I use my truck as a daily driver too, and I will tell you the 1/2-ton is much more enjoyable to drive than the 3/4-ton truck was. Especially long stints behind the wheel.

I at times miss the HD-ness, you know, too much is just enough...

I think in your case the 1500 is more than up to the task and will last a long time with proper maintenance and operation.

Cheers!
Thank you for the reply. Yes I think you're right I'm in the 7500-8k range max tow with the 3.21 rear and I think around 1800lb payload. Like I said truck handles what I throw at it. If I could change anything maybe I'd go 3.92 rear but idk if it would be a drastic difference. The 3.21 work fine for me. I keep it in tow/haul on the highway and I get up to speed pretty quick and in 7th gear it rarely drops to 6th unless I need to pass someone.

The 1500 quad cab along with my 6x12 trailer work great together as far as maneuvering goes. I think the 2500 would be a waste of money and overkill for what I need. Being that it's my daily driver and not just a work truck. I used to own an f250 extended cab long bed with the 7.3 ten years back. Great truck but man was it a pain to maneuver around town and parking lots etc. I used to enjoy driving big trucks, maybe I'm just getting old. Working out of a 1500 with a bed I can reach in without having to climb in and out constantly is great.

gradywhite631

Reaction score
What is the weak link in these trucks? I'm pretty confident the motor will last however long I choose to own the vehicle for ( unless I'm unfortunate enough to have the cam/lifter failure). What about these ZF transmissions? I know they're supposedly service free which I don't believe in but regardless are they holding up? I feel how I operate my 1500 the transmission takes the most abuse vs anything else. And what about the rear ends on these trucks?

Sorry for the repetitive questions, trying to avoid making another thread.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
What about these ZF transmissions? I know they're supposedly service free which I don't believe in but regardless are they holding up?
They are not service free.

If you are towing change the oil every 50k miles. The rest of us would do it between 75-100k miles

Ram determined under regular usage the transmission will last the life of the factory powertrain warranty. Nothing more.

gradywhite631

Reaction score
They are not service free.

If you are towing change the oil every 50k miles. The rest of us would do it between 75-100k miles

Ram determined under regular usage the transmission will last the life of the factory powertrain warranty. Nothing more.
50k even seems like a long time to me. Is there a link somewhere on here for service intervals for our 1500s?

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
50k even seems like a long time to me. Is there a link somewhere on here for service intervals for our 1500s?
There are a bunch of posts and threads about it but Ram says "lifetime" which means until the warranty ends.
Manufacturer recommends I believe 100k Kilometers, which works out to around 62k miles.

That is considered regular driving. When you tow you increase the rate at which you would change most fluids.
The 50k was my guess, as I, or you wouldn't know when it should be changed based upon the extra load possibly causing the fluid to break down quicker.
Might be cool if you find a real transmission shop that can check your fluid based upon the below link every 30k miles maybe?

Here is an article about how places can attempt to "check the fluid"
Gears Magazine - The ZF 8-Speed Transmission Fluid and Filter Change

I can try and find the auctual article\information from the manufacturer but you can just google ram 1500 zf 8 transmission maintenance schedule and you will find a bunch of information.

Users who are viewing this thread