5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Daily SQ Audio build log

MinionHauler

Reaction score
Hey everyone, here's my build thread with some pics and info for those just getting into it. There are many ways to tap into the factory system but this is the route I chose due to PAC's clean outputs:

* 2020 Laramie with Alpine and 12"
* PAC AP4-CH41 R.2 and APH-CH03 for integration
* Disconnected center channel and headliner speakers
* AudioControl D6.1200 - Front Stage and DSP processing
* AudioControl ACM 2.300 - Rears
* AudioControl LC1.800 - Subs
* AudioFrog GS10, GS25, GS690s front stage
* GS10 and GS25 in 3d Printed Pods
* AudioFrog GS8ND2 8" Midbasses going in soon to replace the GS690s
* Infinity reference 2 way 6x9 in rear doors for fill (Only care about time aligning the rears so I didn't invest in great speakers)
* 4 x Image Dynamics ID8
* Big 3
* 1/0 OFC run
* CLD tiles all throughout, Dynamat Extreme, and Fast Rings

* I've also built other boxes in my spare time, which is rare these days.

Started out with this setup, then quickly changed so I could have enough active channels:
62831761127__5C0588EF-3A89-4F9A-8196-D55DC55F6492.jpg
63220075390__28D7A08E-ED0F-4B8A-9181-AF913BB65A09.jpg

136965047_10105658620825690_4922658455350375249_n.jpg
IMG_0839.jpg
63166241211__3D45B4AA-7F00-418C-967E-086CA66F5EDA.jpg
IMG_1682.jpg
IMG_1681.jpg
IMG_2008.JPG
IMG_2009.JPG
63185339049__83F5716D-FBB4-48A9-BD5E-5C014FD585E4.jpg

805myth1

Reaction score
That’s one pricey audio build but I bet the sound quality is on point. What alternator are you running?

ekaz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Awesome build, why not GS60s? Andy has said the 60s would be better in the doors (from what I recall). The 8's are meant for under the seats in BMWs or as subs.
I'm going to follow our build, doing a similar 3 way in the front but using factory locations. Rears debating on disabling headliner or maybe a component set.
Anyway, didn't mean to hijack. I can't wait to see the progress. It's going to sound amazing!

MinionHauler

Reaction score
That’s one pricey audio build but I bet the sound quality is on point. What alternator are you running?
Factory Alt. I am going by memory here but think I read the factory is 220? That's sufficient for everyday driving volume (especially with 3 kids under 8yrs old). I'll be adding a 2nd battery eventually once I figure out the sub stage.

MinionHauler

Reaction score
Awesome build, why not GS60s? Andy has said the 60s would be better in the doors (from what I recall). The 8's are meant for under the seats in BMWs or as subs.
I'm going to follow our build, doing a similar 3 way in the front but using factory locations. Rears debating on disabling headliner or maybe a component set.
Anyway, didn't mean to hijack. I can't wait to see the progress. It's going to sound amazing!
Thanks! I've asked this question in the FB Audiofrog group. Andy mentions going GB60 > GS690 but 690 over GS60. Mostly based on voice coil size and power handling in the GB lineup. I totally agree but anything GB is just too much for me when I get so much enjoyment out of this setup.

Not hijacking at all! I'm an audiophile so let's talk about it, bud. Delete the factory sub, headliners, and center channel via APH-CH03 (simply don't re-connect those channels when you use the harness). Get a DSP or DSP amp that will time align, and BOOM! Ghost center channel appears. Nobody believes me when I tell them there's no center channel speaker connected. Time Alignment is a true game changer. I'm not sure your level of comfort in tuning but I'm always down to help out, just let me know.

ekaz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks! I've asked this question in the FB Audiofrog group. Andy mentions going GB60 > GS690 but 690 over GS60. Mostly based on voice coil size and power handling in the GB lineup. I totally agree but anything GB is just too much for me when I get so much enjoyment out of this setup.

Not hijacking at all! I'm an audiophile so let's talk about it, bud. Delete the factory sub, headliners, and center channel via APH-CH03 (simply don't re-connect those channels when you use the harness). Get a DSP or DSP amp that will time align, and BOOM! Ghost center channel appears. Nobody believes me when I tell them there's no center channel speaker connected. Time Alignment is a true game changer. I'm not sure your level of comfort in tuning but I'm always down to help out, just let me know.
Alright....you started it. LOL
I have a GB60,25,10 for front stage and will probably stick with my GS62s for rear fill since you're convincing me to disconnect the rear headliner. I have a GS25 for the center. Now I may or may not do anything it. I have Helix Ultra DSP going in so, might connect it just so I can play with center in the future if I want. Amps will be some JL HDs I've had from previous builds and using a PAC-CH41R.2 with toslink out. Subs are still a question mark...I have a GB10D4 but a box for it won't fit under the seat so may do a JL stealthbox or saw someone make a box with those 8s, so maybe a pair of those. Still waiting on my truck so who knows what will change by then. That said....post detailed notes! LOL

805myth1

Reaction score
Factory Alt. I am going by memory here but think I read the factory is 220? That's sufficient for everyday driving volume (especially with 3 kids under 8yrs old). I'll be adding a 2nd battery eventually once I figure out the sub stage.
My truck had the 180 alternator but I was able to find a used 220 alternator off eBay for under $100. And I know what you mean, I’m only able to enjoy the full experience when I’m solo. Do you have any pictures of the big 3 upgrade? I’m planning to do that a lil later.

MinionHauler

Reaction score
Make a sealed one?
Absolutely! my personal one ( 4 - 8"s) is sealed. Probably going to swap out for Sundown SD4s (Sealed only sub) or SI BM MKVs (I forget which is the current model with neos). I can net up to around 1.3 sealed with no seat lift.

MinionHauler

Reaction score
My truck had the 180 alternator but I was able to find a used 220 alternator off eBay for under $100. And I know what you mean, I’m only able to enjoy the full experience when I’m solo. Do you have any pictures of the big 3 upgrade? I’m planning to do that a lil later.
Man I don't! However give me a couple of days and I can grab some.

MinionHauler

Reaction score
Alright....you started it. LOL
I have a GB60,25,10 for front stage and will probably stick with my GS62s for rear fill since you're convincing me to disconnect the rear headliner. I have a GS25 for the center. Now I may or may not do anything it. I have Helix Ultra DSP going in so, might connect it just so I can play with center in the future if I want. Amps will be some JL HDs I've had from previous builds and using a PAC-CH41R.2 with toslink out. Subs are still a question mark...I have a GB10D4 but a box for it won't fit under the seat so may do a JL stealthbox or saw someone make a box with those 8s, so maybe a pair of those. Still waiting on my truck so who knows what will change by then. That said....post detailed notes! LOL
LORT! I'm jealous! My buddy locally has an Audiofrog/Audiocontrol Demo vehicle with all GBs, it's on another level from mine but only on the "intensity" if that makes sense. When I start blowing GS' I'll be moving on to GBs.

And seriously, don't do the rear headliners unless you have the available 2 channels to DSP. You're adding a 3rd dimension to your tuning and time alignment and I think it may raise your stage too high?

On the GS25 center... if you CAN, tune it but it's going to be a PITA to get right. Are you doing a 1 seat or 2 seat tune?

I hear ya on the GB10D4, I have a pair of GS10D2s in my garage sitting. They were way too tall and I'm not willing to lift the seats with a disabled kiddo, so they're currently for sale. Sucks!

ekaz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
LORT! I'm jealous! My buddy locally has an Audiofrog/Audiocontrol Demo vehicle with all GBs, it's on another level from mine but only on the "intensity" if that makes sense. When I start blowing GS' I'll be moving on to GBs.

And seriously, don't do the rear headliners unless you have the available 2 channels to DSP. You're adding a 3rd dimension to your tuning and time alignment and I think it may raise your stage too high?

On the GS25 center... if you CAN, tune it but it's going to be a PITA to get right. Are you doing a 1 seat or 2 seat tune?

I hear ya on the GB10D4, I have a pair of GS10D2s in my garage sitting. They were way too tall and I'm not willing to lift the seats with a disabled kiddo, so they're currently for sale. Sucks!
I know exactly what you mean. There is something about them. I heard the GS and GB side by side and was going GS but I got a deal on the GBs that I couldn't say no to.
The stage being raised was a concern with the headliner speakers, but was thinking of using the rear door speaker for alignment, but then the headliner will be off, so ending up at the just leaving them disconnected. The center channel is a different story. I'm going to do a single seat tune for now and leave the center channel turned off in the DSP. If I ever get froggy ( get it....froggy...Audiofrog. LOL), I can setup another profile and screw around with adding the center and a 2 seat tune. As for channels, the DSP has 12 out, plenty for whatever I want to do

sparkygreen

Reaction score
Great job! Out of curiosity, where are you located? I have been debating on custom underseat box and some pods/door adapter rings. I guess you dont really "need" the truck there to build any of that, but being closer might give me more motivation to do something.

I have all kinds of goodies sitting in the closet collecting dust.

MinionHauler

Reaction score
I know exactly what you mean. There is something about them. I heard the GS and GB side by side and was going GS but I got a deal on the GBs that I couldn't say no to.
The stage being raised was a concern with the headliner speakers, but was thinking of using the rear door speaker for alignment, but then the headliner will be off, so ending up at the just leaving them disconnected. The center channel is a different story. I'm going to do a single seat tune for now and leave the center channel turned off in the DSP. If I ever get froggy ( get it....froggy...Audiofrog. LOL), I can setup another profile and screw around with adding the center and a 2 seat tune. As for channels, the DSP has 12 out, plenty for whatever I want to do
HA! I get it!

That's exactly what I'm doing. Audiocontrol has 4 available profiles. I currently have a great 1 seat tune but need to work on my 2 seat a lot more. 4th is a backup of the 1 seat profile.

MinionHauler

Reaction score
Great job! Out of curiosity, where are you located? I have been debating on custom underseat box and some pods/door adapter rings. I guess you dont really "need" the truck there to build any of that, but being closer might give me more motivation to do something.

I have all kinds of goodies sitting in the closet collecting dust.
Thanks! I'm in Northwest Arkansas. I mean shipping is roughly $150 to the west coast from here and I'm smack in the middle of the country. I can get you connected with my 3D printer buddy. He has the file saved for the dash pods and could modify/ print some for your needs if you want to go that route.

Exactly what goodies are we talking about here?! I'm an early 2000s competitor, right around the end of the heyday of the scene.

ekaz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks! I'm in Northwest Arkansas. I mean shipping is roughly $150 to the west coast from here and I'm smack in the middle of the country. I can get you connected with my 3D printer buddy. He has the file saved for the dash pods and could modify/ print some for your needs if you want to go that route.

Exactly what goodies are we talking about here?! I'm an early 2000s competitor, right around the end of the heyday of the scene.
You have stl's for those pods? Your buddy willing to share or sell them for a few bucks? :)

sparkygreen

Reaction score
Not so much classic stuff, but a few things I acquired when i found good deals.

I have a miniDSP C-DSP 8x12 with Dirac Live that i want to use for processing.

I have a pair of Audio Development W800-NEO's that i want to run in the front doors. Will need a 6x9 to 8" adapter made for those.

I have a pair of Dyn Audio Esotar 430's that I was looking to do in a pod setup. I was on the look out for a high end tweet to match, but never landed on anything.

Im a big fan of Stereo Integrity stuff too (they are local-ish to me), so I have a pair of M3 Carbon mids and awaiting their M25 MKII tweets.

I was telling myself I would compare the SI stuff to something uber high end just to see the difference, but alas its all still in the closet.

For bass I had been running a JL 12W7 that fit in my 4th gen, but did not fit the 5th gen. Dicked around for a long time thinking I could never get the output I want from an underseat box. I finally caved and ordered a JL stealhbox and its actually not that bad for 2 shallow 10's. Makes me think something with 4 x 8's or 4 x 10's might be worth it eventually.

MinionHauler

Reaction score
Not so much classic stuff, but a few things I acquired when i found good deals.

I have a miniDSP C-DSP 8x12 with Dirac Live that i want to use for processing.

I have a pair of Audio Development W800-NEO's that i want to run in the front doors. Will need a 6x9 to 8" adapter made for those.

I have a pair of Dyn Audio Esotar 430's that I was looking to do in a pod setup. I was on the look out for a high end tweet to match, but never landed on anything.

Im a big fan of Stereo Integrity stuff too (they are local-ish to me), so I have a pair of M3 Carbon mids and awaiting their M25 MKII tweets.

I was telling myself I would compare the SI stuff to something uber high end just to see the difference, but alas its all still in the closet.

For bass I had been running a JL 12W7 that fit in my 4th gen, but did not fit the 5th gen. Dicked around for a long time thinking I could never get the output I want from an underseat box. I finally caved and ordered a JL stealhbox and its actually not that bad for 2 shallow 10's. Makes me think something with 4 x 8's or 4 x 10's might be worth it eventually.
Man that's all really good stuff. No experience with the miniDSPs but for a budget DSP I hear they're really good. I almost bit and got the M3 Carbons on pre-sale. but with the shortage of the 6.5"s they had at the time, I decided to go Audiofrog. Wish I could squeeze an SQL 10 or 12 in my truck. I hear they're really good subs.

I took a road trip last night by myself and really pushed by 4 Image Dynamics subs for the first time since the break in period. Man they hit pretty good. 150wrms rated each and using up to 800 wrms from the amp.

You'll be extremely limited on which 10"s you can get to squeeze in there. I'd say the absolute max you can yield without a seat lift is 1.6 ish. Biggest I've built is 1.3 without contouring to the slopes of the back of the floor.

Users who are viewing this thread