5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Daily family use ,no towing, do I need E-torque

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The guy that developed eTorque points out that you can feel the deceleration when coasting in the video I posted. I drove 2 or 3 eTorque trucks and I could easily detect the regenerative drag.
I realize that but I don't feel it being active until under 20mph. Feels like your driving with a low gear.

Jgbstetson

Reaction score
I realize that but I don't feel it being active until under 20mph. Feels like your driving with a low gear.
There may be other factors that affect the experience, such as battery level, temperatures, historic driving habits. Just saying, we may not have all the relevant information to draw a comparison.

BowDown

Reaction score
Disagree if you want…..it’s still a free country. I’m just sharing my experience over 35 years of owning trucks.

Of course different driving conditions affect gas mileage that goes without saying but I’m guessing if you crunch the numbers with an open mind using both motors you will see the difference is so small it’s not even worth discussing unless your idling in traffic for hours a day. If I was doing that for extended periods of time I would just turn my motor off. Don’t need no expensive batteries or fancy electronics to do that for me.

I’m absolutely disappointed I ordered eTorque. The hype got me and I seriously regret it now. At least I can disable the worthless start stop and keep it off with my Start/Stop Eliminator. Now I can only hope there are no issues with the expensive components the rest of the time I own this truck. Replacing an alternator would be a much better alternative. Never had to replace one on a truck before so can’t complain about the reliability and simplicity of what works and works well.

You can test it driving the same truck in the same conditions, I did. If I disable auto start stop in the city, I average 15mpg. Enabled over the same roads and times of day, I'm averaging 17.5+.

I do believe the impact is biggest in city driving despite FCA saying it helps on the highway as well which it may, just not as much as it does in city driving. As another person said earlier, without eTorque , you can watch your mpg drop at a light

Last edited:

BowDown

Reaction score
There may be other factors that affect the experience, such as battery level, temperatures, historic driving habits. Just saying, we may not have all the relevant information to draw a comparison.

Given how little info FCA has released on the system, who knows but to me, if you're doing this for mpg, it makes no sense to have this system engage in a way that's detrimental to mpg such as coasting on the highway or down a hill.

When towing and in tow haul mode, I can feel etorque engaging more when off the gas and especially when you touch the brakes

Dewey

Reaction score
You can tedt it driving the same truck in the same conditions. If I disable auto start stop in the city, I average 15mpg. Enabled over the same roads and times of day, I'm averaging 17.5+.

I do believe the impact is biggest in city driving despite FCA saying it helps on the highway as well which it may, just not as much as it does in city driving. As another person said earlier, without eTorque , you can watch your mpg drop at a light
I’ve tested both ways for my driving style and the difference was so small it was barely measurable. My city driving is extremely limited. Heck I can only think of three stop lights within 10 miles of me.😆

BowDown

Reaction score
I’ve tested both ways for my driving style and the difference was so small it was barely measurable. My city driving is extremely limited. Heck I can only think of three stop lights within 10 miles of me.😆
Theres three stop lights before I get a mile from my house and they're long lights, like 3 minutes long.
I definitely believe eTorque biggest benefit is only if you have a significant amount of city stop light driving

CalvinC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You can get the Ram with or without the etorque, not sure if the dealer knows what they’re talking about or if he’s simply saying that they only have etorque in stock on the lot in a poor way.

I put just over 58k on my Laramie etorque without issues before I traded it in for a NON etorque standard hemi. Reasons being are I only tow once or twice a year & not a very heavy load, plus now I have 3.92 gears instead of the 3.21 which tows much more capacity. Another reason is I don’t like the start stop system in any car. My wife’s Durango has it & I turn it off every time. The startup cycle has always been the most harsh on all engines & I plan to use my vehicles long term & don’t really care about the EPA stuff. Plus work pays for fuel which helps a ton obviously. I also turn off the MDS (cylinder deactivation). Another couple that I care to avoid is the rear windows have a known issue for leaking which causes the etorque battery to fail & you can’t drive without it at that point. I also read on here where someone was waiting 5 months for a replacement belt for the etorque alternator system due to shortages. So no thanks, I got the standard hemi this time & really like & prefer it for my personal needs.

He’s showing what Ram order books allow at the moment.

It boils down to no regular Hemi is available on long bed crew cab big horn or Laramie models, or any Longhorn model.
Basically lower volume configs.

Rest can be had with non-eTorque.

Not validating whether that’s true or for how long, just translating what the dealer showed.

RedFred

Reaction score
So just to be clear, regular Hemi is currently not available on orders for Laramie and Limited 4x4's with 5'7" bed? Does that sound correct? Because that's what I was looking for. Uhg

CalvinC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So just to be clear, regular Hemi is currently not available on orders for Laramie and Limited 4x4's with 5'7" bed? Does that sound correct? Because that's what I was looking for. Uhg

Not based on what the dealer showed a few posts back… just going off that.

Limited of all wheelbases and Laramie short bed crews should offer non-eTorque Hemi.

Kooch80

Reaction score
Not to hijack the thread, but what do you guys think of the eco diesel as a daily driver with no towing. Thanks in advance.
Eco diesel is good as a daily driver unless you are doing a lot of short drives or mostly city driving. Those conditions are hard on the Regen system

Users who are viewing this thread