5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Daily family use ,no towing, do I need E-torque

deeve

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What TSB?

I know they reprogrammed the etorque activation for 22 MY.
I don't know if it is an official TSB (although it may be now) it was called something else. Either way, it was an update to the system to fix some rough stopping/starting. It got things better. When you bring it in for service I believe they will update things. Maybe @Cbty2050 can quote the fix number or something...it looks like he might be affiliated with RAM or a dealer? I cannot find it.

Last edited:

Bpebler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Show me
As for my BS comment, I'm referring to the fact that relative to the number on the road, the failures represent an insignificant number of owners , my guess is less than 1%. My BS comment also referred to the engine wear on startup, additionally, you yourself have 58K trouble free miles. More people have posted 4x4 and CHMSL issues than etorque issues.

As for the OP wondering, you'd be fine either way you went but etorque has more benefits beyond towing. I'd say the mpg improvement is the biggest benefit

Show you what? Regardless, this is unnecessary & a waste of my fleeting time, disagreeing & arguing about this subject. My comment is to the OP so that he can figure out which route he decides to go dependent on many variables that only HE knows. It could have been that I had that many trouble free miles because I turned it off after every start up. 🤷🏽‍♂️ Wasn’t a necessary component for me to have, but it was what was available at that time before shortages & before I built my own model that I now have.

Insignificance is subjective. I mean we’re also talking about an estimated guess from the forums only that you’ve seen on here as you e said yourself, we’re not even taking into consideration those with issues who are NOT a part of this forum. My brother & several good friends of mine are mechanics & my comment was encompassing all of their feedback as well as the knowledge from my brother in law who visits hundreds of different dealerships in the Midwest & he’s been in the DCJR dealer world for roughly 15 years now. I’m not just regurgitating disinformation here. Maybe the OP wants to take his chances with the etorque, maybe not - but just as Rlaf75 stated, I agree that’s it’s not needed for daily family use & no towing.

MPG is another area of subjection. This is due to other factors like humidity, elevation, type of driving, etc. My etorque was getting the same MPG’s as my father & brother in laws without etorque. We all have 5th gen Ram trucks. This would likely be due to my lead foot driving habits, but I also take very long highway trips 5-7k each month for work with the ACC on where as they do not (Brother in law has a company car for work & does not drive his truck as often). I decided to go the play it safe old school route & get rid of the auto start & turn off MDS (separate issue that people I know firsthand have had to replace engines due to cylinder #5 when kicking back in). Maybe the OP does, maybe he doesn’t. But my comment was for him to consider & help make an educated decision, not argue with someone else about etorque. There are other folks on this thread & throughout the forum who agree with me. There will be others that agree with you. So what. My point is that what I’ve said are shared facts, regardless if some think it may be a small percentage of all the trucks in this forum. We shouldn’t negate possibilities when trying to make an educated decision or hold info back even if we decide for ourselves that are small issues.

Have a good day!

deeve

Ram Guru
Reaction score
For daily city type driving is where you would see the most benefit from the etorque system as that is where it would save the most with shutting off at lights, ect. However, even that benefit is very minimal in my experience so far. At the time I thought it would act like the 2021 and under versions where really did seem to make for a nice smooth ride. Start/Stop was good and it even "felt" like it shifted smoother. That last could very as likely be in my head as the literature said etorque helped smooth out the shifts. I thought it did, but maybe not.

Bpebler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The way I look at it E-torque and MDS is just as worthless as AFM on GM vehicles. Gives owners the feel good lie that they’re saving them a lot of money with better fuel economy. The fact is it’s very minuscule for the average driver. I’m getting almost the exactly the same gas mileage as I did with my older GM 5.7 V8’s I got back in the 80-90’s. Sure more power and torque but this new added fuel saving technology is really not as impressive as they make it out to be. It’s all just pure advertising gimmicks.

100% agree. By the time we added up what my father & brother in law might save per year in fuel savings is maybe 300 hundred bucks compared to potentially much more expensive repairs to the etorque & MDS. It’s just to make the EPA happy & compete with other manufacturers regarding the same thing. Now that diesel is so much more expensive, if I wanted to save MPG’s I wouldn’t have a full size truck. Maybe a midsize or I’d get back into a car. All the other electric hub bub in other vehicles is not much more “green” either when considering how to harvest & manufacturer these things & their parts.

Not to mention 3rd world slave labor to sometimes obtain battery fuel. 😳 “Hey, I’m helping to ‘save’ the environment at the expense of these helpless kids over here!”

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Regenerative braking with an eTorque motor does not occur until you are actively using the brake pedal (at least a little bit) - you can verify this with live OBD data. It's virtually unnoticeable, which is probably what they intended. If your feet are off the pedals, your truck is just naturally coasting/engine braking. The electric motor tops out at about 12 kW of regen.

That's not true. Regenerative braking happens during coasting and during brake application and it's quite noticeable if you drive a non-etorque truck back-to-back with an eTorque model.

GoMango16

Reaction score
What TSB?

I know they reprogrammed the etorque activation for 22 MY.
I got the letter in the mail. Could have been customer satisfaction, any way it helped. Check with your dealer and see if you need it.

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
Explain to me how I posted pictures of dealer builds that don't give the standard hemi as an option? Yet Ram website says it is an option, who is wrong?
Let me guess, you're a sales representative?

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
Wow, this thread went south quick. The OP made one post and the rest of the 3 pages have been butthurt "grown-ups" bickering lol

BowDown

Reaction score
The way I look at it E-torque and MDS is just as worthless as AFM on GM vehicles. Gives owners the feel good lie that they’re saving them a lot of money with better fuel economy. The fact is it’s very minuscule for the average driver. I’m getting almost the exactly the same gas mileage as I did with my older GM 5.7 V8’s back in the 80-90’s. Sure more power and torque but this new added fuel saving technology is really not as impressive as they make it out to be. It’s all just pure advertising gimmicks.

I disagree, if you are predominantly driving on the highway then I'd agree, if you live in the city or do a significant amount of city driving, etorque will save you fuel. Sitting at a stop light not burning fuel itself is a savings.

BowDown

Reaction score
That's not true. Regenerative braking happens during coasting and during brake application and it's quite noticeable if you drive a non-etorque truck back-to-back with an eTorque model.

Its not noticeable at all. I've tried to see if etorque negatively impacted my coast down from 50 mph on a service road on night. Until the truck slowed to under 20mph I felt nothing, driving back and forth to Houston from Dallas, I coast down the hills, truck either holds its speed or slightly accelerates.

Idahoktm

Reaction score
Its not noticeable at all. I've tried to see if etorque negatively impacted my coast down from 50 mph on a service road on night. Until the truck slowed to under 20mph I felt nothing, driving back and forth to Houston from Dallas, I coast down the hills, truck either holds its speed or slightly accelerates.

The guy that developed eTorque points out that you can feel the deceleration when coasting in the video I posted. I drove 2 or 3 eTorque trucks and I could easily detect the regenerative drag.

RedFred

Reaction score
Explain to me how I posted pictures of dealer builds that don't give the standard hemi as an option? Yet Ram website says it is an option, who is wrong?

You may be right. I tried to order a Laramie with power running boards. Salesman told me I couldn't because of supply issues they wouldn't let me add it to a Laramie even though the RamTrucks website let me build it. Maybe now during the end of the 2022 run, they are only allowing the e-torque motors for orders. I hope this is not the new norm going forward. I definitely don't want e-torque in my new truck. Just my preference, I don't want the start stop feature.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You may be right. I tried to order a Laramie with power running boards. Salesman told me I couldn't because of supply issues they wouldn't let me add it to a Laramie even though the RamTrucks website let me build it. Maybe now during the end of the 2022 run, they are only allowing the e-torque motors for orders. I hope this is not the new norm going forward. I definitely don't want e-torque in my new truck. Just my preference, I don't want the start stop feature.
It's not all models affected by the engine options.

Dewey

Reaction score
I disagree, if you are predominantly driving on the highway then I'd agree, if you live in the city or do a significant amount of city driving, etorque will save you fuel. Sitting at a stop light not burning fuel itself is a savings.
Disagree if you want…..it’s still a free country. I’m just sharing my experience over 35 years of owning trucks.

Of course different driving conditions affect gas mileage that goes without saying but I’m guessing if you crunch the numbers with an open mind using both motors you will see the difference is so small it’s not even worth discussing unless your idling in traffic for hours a day. If I was doing that for extended periods of time I would just turn my motor off. Don’t need no expensive batteries or fancy electronics to do that for me.

I’m absolutely disappointed I ordered eTorque. The hype got me and I seriously regret it now. At least I can disable the worthless start stop and keep it off with my Start/Stop Eliminator. Now I can only hope there are no issues with the expensive components the rest of the time I own this truck. Replacing an alternator would be a much better alternative. Never had to replace one on a truck before so can’t complain about the reliability and simplicity of what works and works well.

Last edited:

Jgbstetson

Reaction score
You don't NEED it. Whether or not you get benefit is largely a matter of where you live and your driving behavior. It does save gas at lights. MDS does help with fuel mileage. However, there are some limitations. With 3.92 gears, MDS doesn't kick in over 75 for me. But even if you live on country roads doing 55-70, it will kick in and it does make a difference. When Google sent us through back roads instead of the interstate, I was averaging 28 mpg. Never got anywhere near that on normal road trips or local driving. I do find some of the start/stop behaviour annoying but I haven't had the update yet on my 22. That's my personal experience. A large number of posts here seem to be full of FUD. My OPINION is that you should get the options you want with the V8 variety not playing heavily into that.

Regarding the site, it's kinda useless at times. Only a dealer can tell you what's available and the final price.

Users who are viewing this thread