5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Daily family use ,no towing, do I need E-torque

Jerry0126

Reaction score
Dealer said that you can't choose regular HEMI, is that true?

If E-torque ,what is the marjor difference
Thanks

Fatherof3

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
A regular Hemi doesn’t have the auto start/stop . The Etorque also has a generator as opposed to an alternator , it also has the big battery behind the back seat .

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
E-torque also has a little bit of a regenerative braking feel. Mine has been trouble free for 21k moles, though if I could do it again I would get with the regular alternator.

392DCGC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
E-torque also has a little bit of a regenerative braking feel. Mine has been trouble free for 21k moles, though if I could do it again I would get with the regular alternator.
Regenerative braking with an eTorque motor does not occur until you are actively using the brake pedal (at least a little bit) - you can verify this with live OBD data. It's virtually unnoticeable, which is probably what they intended. If your feet are off the pedals, your truck is just naturally coasting/engine braking. The electric motor tops out at about 12 kW of regen.

tigercat74

Reaction score
Not to hijack the thread, but what do you guys think of the eco diesel as a daily driver with no towing. Thanks in advance.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It’s fine for a DD but really more suited if your towing often. With the increase cost of maintenance and well as the increase cost of diesel over gas I would stick with the Hemi but that’s something you’ll have to decide if the cost is worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Richard320

Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
I avoided the eTorque because it was new and I didn't want to be a beta tester. It looks like I made a mistake. I would love an eTorque now. I hate just missing the light and having to sit through the whole cycle and watch my average mpg drop. And drop. And drop. If it's going to be a daily driver, you'll be sitting through plenty of stop lights.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
As a tech that works on these trucks daily, my Ram has eTorque. I have no problems or concerns with it. It's not a high fail rate, yes some people have had issues but overall it's a reliable system.

BowDown

Reaction score
I have 44K on my HEMI etorque and never had an issue. I would absolutely buy it again and love its functionality , especially at lights like Richard320 said. I watch my mileage like a hawk and hated sitting at stop lights watching my overall mileage drop like a rock without etorque

deeve

Ram Guru
Reaction score
As a tech that works on these trucks daily, my Ram has eTorque. I have no problems or concerns with it. It's not a high fail rate, yes some people have had issues but overall it's a reliable system.
I think it is a good concept and up until 2022 I would have said it was a "perfect" system for what it is. In 2022 something changed and I find it has some pretty bad daily driver mannerisms. It is jerky from a start and is set up to shut off as you roll to a stop. This becomes a problem when creeping up to something like a garage, parking spot or another vehicle as it surges ahead a bit when it turns back on. I think it is fixable, but as of right now it has not been fixed on my Ram. If I had known about the change I probably would NOT have bought an Etorque.

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My etorque doesn't shut off at lights when the AC is on. Never. Normal?

Threesuns1

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not sure where you live, but if it's relatively flat and you don't plan on towing have you considered the 3.6? I decided on the 3.6 after driving my son's 5.7 and didn't need that power in a daily driver. If I need to tow or haul heavy loads, I use my 2000 F250 with the 7.3.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You a
I think it is a good concept and up until 2022 I would have said it was a "perfect" system for what it is. In 2022 something changed and I find it has some pretty bad daily driver mannerisms. It is jerky from a start and is set up to shut off as you roll to a stop. This becomes a problem when creeping up to something like a garage, parking spot or another vehicle as it surges ahead a bit when it turns back on. I think it is fixable, but as of right now it has not been fixed on my Ram. If I had known about the change I probably would NOT have bought an Etorque.
Sounds like a you problem.

GoMango16

Reaction score
I had the TSB done on my '22' anti is better. It was really not bad before but noticed it it was better.

66Fuelie

Reaction score
My 21 Limited has 53,000 miles and no eTorque problems at all. Mine will stop at light as long as the compressor is not running. When compressor kicks in, engine starts.
Tom

Users who are viewing this thread